“Worst hotel ever!”
Review of Dene Hotel

Dene Hotel
Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We changed our room twice in a two night stay. The heating was haphazard to say the least, the rooms were freezing cold, but radiator on in the middle of the night! Water trickling out of the hot tap was cold. The breakfast was cold, the bacon was like a piece of cardboard, I think it had been on the plate all night. The only staff we saw were two young girl receptionists on alternate shifts, and they did absolutely everything - from cleaning the dirty occasional table in the first room when we arrived, through trying to find us a warm room, serving breakfast in the morning to serving drinks in the bar in the evening! A receptionist gave me contact details to make an official complaint, which I have done, but still after two weeks have not had the courtesy of an acknowledgement. We were in the area for a funeral, our experience at this hotel made a sad occasion even worse.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank lastchancer

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and had no complaints.
My story. I made a booking for this hotel direct with the Dene for 3 nights on the 18/11/13 all went well. Come the 07/12/13 2 of our party were taken ill and could not make the trip for 09/12/13 so I made a telephone call to the Hotel on the 07/12/13 at 14.06 to cancel the booking within the terms and conditions of the Hotel receptionist said that would be ok. At the end of the month my credit card bill arrived with a charge for £55.00 for 1 nights stay at the hotel. I emailed the hotel reception to ask for refund and was told the payment has been taken and we could not refund the money but if I would like to make another booking I would be given a complimentary night as the party were unable to get the time to do the trip again I asked for refund again by email including printed proof that I had telephoned the hotel. The hotel wrote back saying that the reception did not have the power to issue refunds and would pass my complaint onto head office giving me an email address for the head office. I have tried to communicate with this so called head office by email a few times but they will not respond to me. I have suggested the small claims court hoping to spark some life into the case but to no avail. My party feel that we have been robbed by this Hotel as we complied with the terms and conditions set out. Therefore I would not stay or recommend the Hotel to anybody. So be aware if you book and have to cancel you will not get your money back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank davidmuff
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The Dene has a great location for exploring Chester - but that's the only plus.

No heating, wall paper peeling off the wall, a shower with the power of a ninety year old with prostate trouble, and the worst sausages I've tasted in my life. How does this place have any stars?

My advice is stay in a nice b&b on the other side of the road..

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank Horsedad72
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed numerous times, first time had the breakfast very poor.

Wasn't told what breakfast consisted of so assumed a fairly standard one for the price.

First bit was acceptable at best, cheap juice, cheap cereals & toast.

Then it was a cold offering of scrambled eggs, baked beans, hash browns, and the cheapest sausages known to man.

I like the fact the breakfast isn't included and you can choose not to have it, but why not charge £7.95 and do it properly! Or just do a decent continental one for the existing price.

Left very very disappointed

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Notalanwicker
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Have stayed here numerus time over the last 14 yrs but who ever is running it now has ran it into the ground no hot water in the superior rooms and why there superior rooms begs to question the staff are rude and and i worked in the hospitaliy field for 25yrs and have never had a member of staff speak to any one like id ov sacked them

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Donna W
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Visited the hotel with my wife and another couple to do some Christmas shopping and take in a football match. The girls booked the hotel and opted for the superior room. After booking, we looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and were apprehensive as what would be waiting for us. We booked through booking.com and as it was a last minute booking the money was taken straight away. The following day the hotel took the amount again and charged for a fee for booking with a credit card, a charge that booking.com do not tolerate. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist tried to take the money again. After a heated discussion they apologised for their error. We were allocated our rooms and after reading some of the reviews we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are decorated minimally but the two we had were clean and comfortable. Electric wall heaters provide the heat and you need to have your room card inserted in to a slot to provide power to the room, if you are not in the room there is no heat. However, the heater was adequate for the room and after approximately 15 minutes the room reached an acceptable temperature. The bedroom and bathroom had been recently refurbished and both were clean and presentable. The breakfast was basic but adequate. Four choices for the cooked option, plus toast, fruit juice, cereal and yogurt all served as a self-service. Tea and coffee is served at the table by a waitress and was of a reasonable standard. The breakfast on the second day was more organised than the first day but this was mainly due to lack of leadership and just a pack of waiting staff working off their own intuition. On a negative side, we returned to the hotel on Saturday evening at 10.45pm to find the bar was closed. We were informed that as the bar was empty they decided to close early and I was a little disappointed that they did not offer to open the bar to accommodate our requirements. (Stated closure time was 11.00pm) As a budget hotel I felt it was good value for money. It is a 2 star hotel and the price and facilities reflect that. As a base it was ideal in price and location, however looking at other reviews I think we were wise to opt for a superior room.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank panda1957
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Having stayed here for the weekend 29th/30th Nov, and having read the reviews prior to arrival I was expecting the place to be falling down and staff to be positively rude. However I am not allowed to be pre-judgemental.
How wrong can one be, and I guess that stems from the fact that I actually do inspect hotels as an occupation so this was pretty much a busmans holiday.
I undestand that part of the hotel has been re-furbished, so if staying here it is worthwhile going for the upgrade, ( the re-furbished rooms are included in this ).
Remember you get what you pay for...................This is not a five star hotel and they don't claim to be a three star either. Please bear this in mind when booking to stay here. The hotel was fully booked the weekend I stayed so it can't all be bad. The only negative i could find would be that the breakfast is very basic and could possibly be improved with more items.
To all those that have previously slated the place my advice to them is "get over it" it's not that bad. On the plus side it was actually nice to find that all the staff I encounted actually spoke English with a Scouse/Cheshire accent. Make what you want of that!
Finally I would like to see the management answering some of the allegations made on here, it would be nice to here the defence!

Room Tip: Go for the up-grade.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends