“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Review of Dene Hotel

Dene Hotel
Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would first of all like to say that I did complain to the hotel to give them a chance to redeem themselfs - They never got back to me.
The worst of our complaints was the noise. We were in room 501, the first one off reception on the ground floor, this meant that we heard every time someone went outside to smoke, every time someone checked in etc we thought this would be just about bearable as we thought once we got to sleep we wouldn’t notice it however the ‘lovely’ couple in the room next to us decided to have a raging argument until 5am in the morning. We were woken first at around 1am when they went to smoke and stood right next to our window. We managed to get back to sleep but were then woken again at 3.15am by the arguing. We waited for half an hour hoping they would stop but when they didn’t so my partner went find the night porter (this was now 3.45am), who hadn’t heard anything because he was too busy watching TV in the bar area. He did go and knock on the door and ask them to keep it down as it was 4am (we could hear him word for word). The couple whispered for ten minutes and then reverted back to yelling. This constant yelling continued until 5am in the morning and included doors slamming, smoking trips and vile language and swear words. The night porter did not return at all during this time, he might as well have not been there. My partner had to be up at 5.15 to get to work, he got approximately 3 hours of sleep which is completely unacceptable. I didn’t have to get out of bed until 7am so when my partner left I went back to sleep, I was woken up again at 6am by everyone else checking out (I heard many of them complaining about the same couple). I realise that the couple arguing was not the hotels fault but the actions taken to stop it were. Also I don’t believe room 501 is a suitable room for guests as it is too close to reception and the front doors where people go to smoke.
I was also not impressed with the fact that there was no main light only small side lights which did not provide enough light for me to do my work in.

Room Tip: If you should choose to stay at this hotel despite all the terrible reviews then make sure you are n...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLF260989

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed at hotel for a one night staywe have stayed here a couple of times before both on our own and with friends so we knew that it wasn't going to be the best place to stay but with the graduate ceremonies on we were struggling to find somwhere to stay, The room was actually quite good but there it ended, our room was next to reception at ten to five in the morning two members of staff were having a nice loud discussion outside our door the at seven o clock the kitchen staff also had a discussion outside our room.We wnt for breakfast which we had prepaid for which included hash browns, scrambled egg. beans,sausage + cereal. The breakfast we could choose from was cerial tomatoes 3 sausage (between 8 people) something a pale yellow colour welded to the bottom of the tin. I enquired if anymore food was going to be bought out but they had run out of hash browns they didn't know if the chef(???) was going to cook anymore sausage, another guest asked for some fried eggs on toast but they had run out of eggs!! so I assumed scrambled eggs was of the menu as well not bad for £4.95 each. We asked for a refund the reciepionist had to go and confirm there was no food available so a refund was given.We travel to Chester to visit relations quite often but this place is now most definately off our list

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mictop
Reviewed October 1, 2013

we stayed at this hotel on 24th of September room number 43 overlooking the bowling green on our journey north. The hotel itself is tired and run down, and this can only have a negative effect on the staff. To start with the reception area is not welcoming and reflects a couldn't care less attitude. Turning right to find our room you pass the bar area, it smells very stale, going left to join the stairs, here you will find an accident just waiting to happen. Get that stair carpet replaced!! . Locating our room, in a word shabby. The double bed was not joined in the centre as it should be in fact about 6" out of true, None of the drawers in the unit would close, The TV was way out of date and only had 3 channels. The toilet seat was the cheapest possible money could buy. The bathroom door would not close and no heating in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was spotlessly clean, The bedlinen was clean and crisp The bed was comfortable and we slept well until we were suddenly woken by a bunch of youths outside in the bowling green area, screaming an d shouting , one of which decided to ride his moped across the bowling green and fall off. Having been driving for most the day this was not what we expected at 11.30 pm. The following morning at breakfast the waitress was rushing around as she was on her own . The breakfast was good and adequate We were back on the road at 9.oo am Would we go back there? I don't think so. The hotel is lacking atmosphere and warmth.

Room Tip: Go there with an open mind
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

3. Bedroom curtains didn't even cover the windows
4. Advertised free WiFi wasn't available
5. Breakfast was unbelievably poor
6. Customer Service during and AFTER our stay was appalling

Conclusion, never stay in this over-rated and over-priced hotel

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in Chester
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colin R
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews here I was very worried about booking an overnight stay here for hubby's birthday night out in Chester-I was pleasantly surprised. Hotel was lovely for the price, clean minimal room-lovely comfy bed, clean linens, extra pillows etc... Of course we only paid just under £50 including full English breakfast which was also nice! No phone in room-not that we needed one. No shower gel/shampoo but little soaps-so take your own as we did :) I would stay here again without fail!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank paula_82
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I, together with my son his partner and 23 month old grandson stayed here for 2 nights as a treat for our grandsons 2nd birthday. Yes the hotel is quite dated but how that ruins your stay I don't know! Beds were comfy, rooms were clean, friendly staff, excellent location! I was apprehensive as I had booked first and then read some of the bad reviews on here. BUT as I have done previously, had decided to give the Hotel the benefit of the doubt. For the price we paid I expected a dump but we would definitely stay here again! As a previous guest said, it's a case of stuck up people expecting luxury for a cheap price! Would definitely recommend for anyone wanting a cheap good getaway!! Only problem is as I am an ex Hotelier with an eye for detail and a knowledge of the grading system. There were several small issues that the Hotel should address. Room 8 main block:- The curtains were hanging off and I had difficulty closing them fully. The small portable 20 year old TV is dated and too small a screen for the room, it should be replaced with modern flat screen TV. In our bathroom the newly laid tiles in the bathroom had not been finished where they meet the door cill. There is no towel rail, There is no shelf to put you toiletries on. The toilet roll holder is not secured properly to the wall. There is no shaving light and the shower was very low pressure and low temperature. Housekeeping staff should be trained to recognise failings and defects to get them rectified at once. Our sons room no 10 was OK. The service at breakfast was adequate but the Waitresses on both mornings could have been a bit more attentive throughout the meal and not keep disappearing into the kitchen for long periods. On both mornings I had to ask for milk with our tea for 4 and was brought a small jug that was only enough for one person, an adequate sized jug of milk should be brought to the table with the Tea. It would be nice to be given the option of fresh OR tinned tomatoes as only tinned tomatoes were provided. Sorry I did not leave a comments card, I meant to and forgot. I would stay again, but some things do need to be improved to maintain the 2 Star Hotel standard which IMO it is just below due to points above.

Room Tip: Ask specifically when booking if all the room facilities are provided and will be defect free ON ARR...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I am partial to a night out in Chester now and again, but am aware that the heritage that this great city brings is usually reflected in the prices of the city centre hotels. Therefore finding one withing walking distance (1 mile) for the city centre with free palking and cheap room rates is perfect. The hotel looks very nice however like stated the decor is minimal and basic, however that set up is all that is needed for a nightout considering not much time is spent in the hotel. I have no complaints of the staff as all are very friendly, but beware of the security guard at night tends to fall asleep, obviously this is only a problem wehn strolling in drunk at 5am. Overall very satisfied and I will keep visiting this hotel as long as the prices remain low.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends