“Terrible customer service”
Review of Dene Hotel

Dene Hotel
Ranked #42 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel to celebrate the wedding anniversary of friends. From the minute we arrived to minute we left we had nothing but terrible service and this service has been condoned by their head office.
We arrived at 2.10pm and was told the room wasn't ready (check in time 2pm). However, the receptionist allowed us to put our bags in our room. I wish we hadn't bothered as it was as if someone had literally just got out of bed (smell included!)
When we returned back to the hotel later that evening we realised that the door was ajar and our things were in there. We soon realised that there was a problem with the door lock. We reported the problem to the night porter who was unable to rectify it. We were told we would have to sleep the night with the door unlocked as there were no other 'Superior' rooms available. This was a very worrying and uncomfortable experience as we were kept awake until the early hours by others returning from their nights out as our room was 2 doors from the reception area.
When we returned home I sent an email to head office to request at least a partial refund. I was told In no uncertain terms that the best we would get was a 30% reduction on a further stay. I told them that this was unacceptable as this means the hotel would benefit from further business and we would lose more money. The reply was that that was the final offer. Also, i asked why our friends only paid £46 for the exact same room we paid £85 for. BE CAREFUL IF YOU BOOK WITH THIS HOTEL, CHECK PRICES DIRECTLY WITH THEM.
I have given the hotel over a week to refund us some of the amount and they have ignored our request hence this report.

1  Thank Tilly1424
There are newer reviews for Dene Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked a double got phone call time say overbooked only got twin too late to change . Rooms at first look ok bulbs very dIm bathroom not clean noise well the people uo stairs if they moved thought they were in our room .someone down hall spent twenty minutes trying to open door no one at reception to help .when they started doing breakfast thought they were serving in our room it was that noisy the fire door was wedged open like I say small hotel trying to be big think take my cgancecwith b&b next time

1  Thank evansffamily
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Oh my god! We got put in a chalet to start with, it was filthy! I asked to be moved to a room in the hotel as it stunk, it was dirty and the furniture was falling apart, the girls at reception were very helpful and nice, moved us to room 9, 4 filthy single beds in one room and 1 filthy single in another room, I checked the mattresses for bedbugs it was that dirty! The bathroom was clean, had a huge window with a sheer piece if net, no frosted glass, but plenty of workmen opposite to watch you shower! The cleaner can't look up as there were cobwebs everywhere. Yet the bar,reception and dining room were new and modern? The draught tasted awful too, and they ran out of drink, the dark haired girl was a bit surly with people. We heard 3 people complain, and we only stayed 2 nights. I still feel itchy.

1  Thank Katelin H
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as it was close to the centre of Chester. We just wanted somewhere to sleep and it served that purpose even though it was one of the worst sleeps I've ever had. I have seen sheets of paper thicker than the pillows. You will need to pick up another 5 or so from reception. The toilet didn't work at all. No flush. Went to reception and told them. Her reply was "what do you want me to do about it?" Rude. In the end my partner fixed the toilet himself before someone came round. Also the the lights in the bathroom were really faint so you pretty much showered in the dark. And when I say shower I mean you get dripped on with cold water. We payed £60 a room. I would not have paid more than £30 a night. Poor. You can stay at a travel lodge and al least know your getting a certain standard. And beware in the car park. The spaces are tiny.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this hotel and then as an afterthought looked on Trip Advisor. I was expecting a condemned building with Basil Fawlty in charge. In reality for £40 give or take this hotel is a ten minute walk from the railway station (20 from the city), is perfectly clean, is staffed by lovely people, and was just fine. The bedrooms are basic and nothing is luxurious - cheap pillows, low wattage reading lights, old fashioned key entry, etc. However everything was clean, extra pillows were provided when requested, and we slept well. We only had breakfast one morning and it was pretty poor - again not dirty or greasy or in any way repulsive - just not a great meal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Don't stay here. If you have any problems they have a NO- refund, NO- name policy. So if you call to speak to them they won't tell you the name of the person you are talking to. They do NOT have a complaints procedure I could go on but I think you get the message..

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lin186403
Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you put 25w bulbs in the bedroom and bathroom then it could look romantic this certainly didn't. No bedside lamps either, thank goodness I had a backlit ereader. Hot water? Well it was a good three and a half minutes coming whatever time of the day I ran it. I paid £220 for a double room for single occupancy for the weekend with additional £9.90 for the breakfasts. WiFi only in the bar, despite announcing a restaurant it does not have one only a dining room for breakfasts. They were an experience too, it appears all the cereals are loose in bowls on a table, as were the sachets of ketchup etc and the preserves. Orange, apple juice and milk were in a fridge but only half pint glasses on a tray to pour them into. No menu, so being asked what you wanted was novel. I got the full english, no toast came because I suspect as the place was full of young men, the girls were more interested in giggling with them than serving. No choices of wine at the bar, no that's not correct white or red Echo Falls was the choice. Not that it was the hotels fault but the young men were pretty rowdy all the time day and night. I cannot fault the very friendly reception and bar staff it's only saving grace. Would I recommend it, never!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo