“Tired Dene hotel”
Review of Dene Hotel

Dene Hotel
Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for one night, last minute trip to Chester. As most of the hotels were full I booked the Dene. It had one twin room left so I took a chance before I had read reviews on Trip Advisor.
Helen the manager was friendly and polite even though it looked like she was working round the clock.(staff shortage)??
I had read the hotel was undergoing a refurb so I knew what to expect. Room was very dated, not spotlessly clean, when looking for an electric socket anywhere near the bed the headboard fell off the wall!! The room had large windows but no nets so if you wanted privacy you had to close the curtains. The T.V. had four grainy channels but I'm not surprised as the previous owner of the set was probably John Logie Baird!
The bathroom had fittings for a blind but no blind, no shelf for toiletries and I couldn't get any hot water from the shower so had a bath instead.
Didn't have breakfast although the dinning room did look new, fresh and bright.
Location is good, less than a mile walk into Chester so we left the car as we were told it was expensive to park in town.
I appreciate it is only a two star so not to expect higher standards, we paid a good price for what we got.
Would I stay again?, only if I was struggling to find accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TamworthSpidey

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I only stayed here one night with my boyfriend and it was a fair price for somewhere to put your head down. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the motorway as we had somewhere else to be around Chester.

The lady on reception was very nice and we decided to pay the £4.95 each for breakfast in the morning. We went up to the room and, whilst it had a strong smell of paint (possible redecoration/renovation?) the room itself wasn't too bad. Perhaps a little dated but not horrific - certainly clean and comfortable! We explained to reception we would be back late and asked if this would be a problem; we were told no. When we arrived back a little after midnight the doors were locked. We were quite alarmed by this as we had informed the receptionist that we would be back late. Fortunately, somebody was available to let us in!

The bed was comfortable enough and there was no noise at all in our room (ours faced the car park and road to the front). The only thing that let the room down was the fact that our curtains weren't fastened on properly and thus let quite a bit of early morning light into the room!

We went downstairs to sample breakfast and at first glance it looked promising as a number of other guests were already sat enjoying theirs. We were waiting a while for the waitress to take our order, and even then we were still not given everything we asked for. The full English itself didn't seem particularly 'full' (we would have got more for the same money at, for example, a Wetherspoons). The breakfast itself was of poor quality and I actually felt ripped off by the time I had finished eating.

All in all, if all you want is a place to put your head down at a cheap and cheerful rate, go for it. Avoid breakfast if you can and find a pub/cafe nearby as I'm sure for the same price you'd get a better deal.

Although this is no disrespect to the hotel - if you're looking to spend a long weekend in Chester, avoid it purely for its location - it's a long walk to get anywhere near the town centre (this wasn't an issue for us but for a tourist trip to the city it might not be the place for you).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluebubbins
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Loved my 1 night stay here at this hotel, staff was friendly, room was very, very nice and warm, very clean/tidy room and bathroom, extremely comfy bed with nice thick pillows. Shower wasn't working very well but other than that everything was perfect! I also enjoyed the lovely breakfast the next day. Would advise this hotel to anyone and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tesni B
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed two nights, I agree with others observations, room cold, walls thin, pillows thin and so noisy I did not sleep very well at all. In fact the last night the fire alarm went off twice at 5:30 in the morning! I was ready to pack and check out at this stage! The room although was newly refurbished was not finished off properly the doors were not painted, the tv has screws scratching the dresser top, worst of all was the handle to the bathroom , I had to call my husband to let me out because the handle tuned but did not open! If I was a loan traveler you would have to have banged and shouted to get out could have been very embarrassing!

On the plus side the staff were very pleasant, the management need to spend a bit more money to sort out the little things.
Hooks on back of bathroom door
Lamps on bed side tables the lamps take to long to get bright.
The sheets need to fit the beds
The pillows need to be replaced they are too thin,
The heating needs to be able to stay on, the small heaters take to long to warm the room when on the room key card only.
The reception doors into the room corridor needs to have returns on them, we were in the first room and could hear staff having conversations!
I wish I had spent a bit more money and stayed somewhere else. The staff were the saving grace.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Merrytravelers1
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I wouldn't stay here again, not worth the cost of what we paid at all!
We stayed in a 'newly re-furbished' room but it was really basic, cold and noisey.
The heating only works when you have the key in the slot (which isn't good when it's cold and icey/snowy outside and you want to go out for food and come back to a warm room..., the window had only been closed not locked before we arrived so we had to hide under the covers to get warm straight away. The door to the room didn't look so secure, the walls were really thin that you could hear everyone elses conversation and we had the stairs above us... my partner got very little sleep because of all the noise till the very early hours but no staff came out and told them to be quiet... the bed wasn't comfy and the pillows were so very thin, even having two together still didn't equal one normal full one.
The tv had screws in it but it wasn't screwed down into the desk area so it was ruining the new desk... the toilet paper was far too thin to be used properly... you had to use half the roll!
Staff were lovely and the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Top floor perhaps so your making noise for others and not being wide awake due to other peoples nois...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beau_Butterfly
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed with the lads over the festive period at The Dene Hotel upon arrival was welcomed by the pleasant lass on reception she advised me of our rooms and answered any questions, told us where was best for a good night in town centre which was down the road, when we came back down for a drink it was all of a sudden quite busy and the lady we met earlier was running round back and forth so we waited a while for a pint, but good service and it seemed like an igloo at the bar area. We came back late to find the scouse night porter on reception very friendly, our rooms were again freezing and looked like they needed a few touches but hey its only a 2 star hotel. Breakfast was basic and found same lady on reception working thought does she live here?!. All in all lovely staff but would say hotel needs a few touches throughout.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Room absolutely freezing, apparently heating comes on at 5pm for a couple of hours and again at 6.30 pm. Room booked was supposedly renovated but looked as though the work had been done by cowboys. Bathroom light didn't work, nor did telephone. ONe curtain about 4 inches shorter than other so people in rooms opposite could see in. Toilet had black sludge in pan. Staff disinterested when we complained and have not bothered to answer my email. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: March 2013