“Fabulous stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fabulous stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Just had an amazing overnight spa stay here, facilities are second to none, & the rooms are beautiful, comfortable and spacious. The spa is amazing too with fantastic amenities, would definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments.

It is great to see that you had a fabulous stay here with us at the DoubleTree Chester.

We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kirsty Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
st helens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Everything was perfect, from checking in, food, staff, room and spa. We had a great time.We did upgrade to a late check out, which was really worth it. I did request a spa treetment but wasn;t able to get one, so I would recommend booking with the spa and not the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in king room, there was plenty of room for two
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank your for your review.

It is lovely to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I am pleased that we were able to accommodate a late checkout for you.

Great advice for others too; to book the Spa in advance, it is extremely popular!

We all look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the near future.

Tipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had this hotel on offer via Groupon. It was an excellent deal and an excellent stay. The hotel was pure luxury from the staff to the quality of the room furnishings. The Marco Piere White restaurant was beautiful- the steak was to die for

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest

Thnak you for your lovely comments.

It is fantastic to read that you took advantgae of one of our recent offers and had a great time with us all.

We hope that you are able to come back to stay at the hotel again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

A brief review because I didn't use any of the facilities so comments on the room ony.

Good points:
Big Car park
Quiet location
Comfortable work chair
Clean

Negatives:
Noisy.... loudly closing doors, I could even hear the person in the next room using the loo - very clearly!!
No plugs by the bed - cant plug phone in
Small room
Tiny window
Room was very cold on arrival

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing a review with us.

I am pleased to read that you found our quiet location to be an advantage to your stay with us and that all facilities were clean.

I am disappointed that you were disturbed by your neightbours closing doors.

We hope that you are able to come back and stay with us again soon, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Lovely SPA, nice dinner and breakfast in a lovely location except the dirty room, noisy extractor fan and rude staff! The room was not as I would have expected for a 4 star hotel. The room needed modernising with frayed bedding, scuff marks on the walls, dirty carpet, dusty and hairs over the bathroom floor. I went to bed at midnight, and quickly fell to sleep. I was woken up by the extractor fan in the room at around 3am. The air conditioning was switched off and the bathroom door shut. I struggled to get back to sleep but did not contact reception as my other half was asleep. I had the worst night sleep ever in a so called 4 star HOTEL! I was up from 6:30am and decided to go to reception at 7:20 ( I lay in bed until this time trying to go back to sleep ). I spoke to a member of staff at reception who said 'you should have called reception at 3am and we could of moved you to another room' I explained that my partner was asleep and that if I'd of done that, neither of us would of had a good nights sleep. Nothing was done, so I asked to speak to a manager. I spoke with Eric who relayed the same message back to me. Eric was rude and obnoxious and just said sorry. When I asked for a refund for the room he said he would only give me 20% back due to the time I informed reception and that Double Tree were a business!!! I will never stay in this hotel again, which Is a shame as the SPA is amazing. I expected more from a double tree hotel and having spent over £250 on a one night stay. Next time I will book a Premier Travel Inn, as they offer a good nights sleep guarantee.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Adam P
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing a review with us on your recent stay at the hotel.

It disappoints me to hear that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied with your stay.

We always encourage guests to advise us of any issues at the time so that we are able to investigate it there and then and find a solution, and this would be why both our receptionist and Duty Manager asked if you had reported the noise to the night manager. On investigation, there has been no noise found coming from the extractor in the room in which you stayed.

I am sorry to read that you mention other shortfalls in service. I am sure if these had been relayed to the Duty Manager at the time then he would have also investigated these for you. As no other complaints were made from yourself, the offer of a 25% refund in relation to your disturbed sleep was made to compensate you accordingly.

I am pleased to read that the your partner had a peaceful nights sleep, and that you both enjoyed our Spa facilities.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again, to give us the opportunity to prove that we are more than capable of providing a relaxing and comfortable stay. We would all look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've stayed here for 6 months for work reasons, as one of our clients was nearby. I throughly enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and contemporary, the customer facing staff was brilliant (cannot emphasise this enough). As part of the building there is a restaurant as well, run by a celebrity TV chef. The food was more expensive than the general hotel menu, but it was nice. Another huge pluspoint is that a gym / sauna / swimming pool is in the basement level of the hotel, the facilities are to a high standard with a decent amount of equipment. Currently there's no need for me to be in Chester but if the opportunity presents itself I'll make sure to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thnak you for sharing a review with us.

I am delighted to read that your time spent with us here at the DoubleTree was made to be an enjoyable one and that our staff were friendly and welcoming throughout.

We hope that you do get the opportunity to visit Chester again, and stay with us, we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Kirsty Mratin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

As a student living in Chester, my parents often travel down from Newcastle and stay for the weekend at Doubletree by Hilton. In the last three months I've witnessed two completely different sides to the Hilton. When my parents stayed in November we dined in MPW's Restaurant and there was an feeling of relaxed sophistication and everything was very lovely, both the food and the atmosphere. We went into Chester (£5.50 for a taxi) and went for food at the Watergate, had a wander round etc.

Just this weekend my grandparents stayed here as a christmas gift from my parents. I witnessed a very different side to the Hilton that I had not seen before, nor expected. Firstly, walking through the corridors to our rooms, there was a maintenance man painting the walls at 12pm on a Saturday afternoon - not at all what I was expecting. The hallway smelt of paint and I had to be very careful not to brush against any of the walls or scuff my bag and also not to trip on the dust blankets.

After being told we didn't have the original room that my dad had booked for my grandma and grandad, we later discovered that the air conditioning in the new room was not working thus the room was freezing. Later on my grandma went to get dressed for the evening and she was shocked to see that there was no plug so she couldn't have a bath and the plughole was filled with hair.

At dinner we dined in the brassiere for the first time. There was a feeling that the bar/restaurant was understaffed as the same two staff were still on shift that had been there in the morning. There were long queues at the bar as one young man was trying to make cocktails (which is time consuming) as well as taking orders from impatient customers. Whilst I cannot fault the food in the restaurant, the menu was very restrictive - a far cry from MPW's classic restaurant.

The same waitress we had seen all day brought over Irish Coffees that we had ordered to finish our meal and I have never seen such a pathetic excuse for a coffee. A tall wine glass full of steaming hot coffee was balanced on a deep, round saucer with two biscuits and a spoon and as soon as she lifted it from the tray it spilled all over my grandma. Then as the tried to place down the second coffee, it yet again spilled over my grandma. She was covered in boiling hot coffee and the dark liquid stained her white silk skirt, the poor waitress was mortified. Whoever thought putting a tall, full glass on a curved saucer (on which it could not stand up straight) was clearly clueless. The assistant manager was called who was very patronising, bending down and smirking as my we tried to explain that the glass was a stupid idea and that not only had my grandma's outfit been ruined, she had been burned. He was not at all remorseful or helpful, he allowed us to decide how we wished to be compensated and we agreed on removing all the drinks from the bill (over £70 worth of drinks).

After an eventful evening, my grandparents went for breakfast the following morning. During breakfast only one young boy was working the whole of the bar and dining area. Yet another oddity, surveyors were inspecting the flooring whilst guests were trying to eat their breakfasts in peace.

Whilst the majority of things at the Hilton are worth the money, some areas (the foyer in particular) are lacking in upkeep. The chairs in the reception are marked and stained, as are many in the restaurant. The attention to detail is obviously being overlooked due to low staff numbers. It is evident that the staff are trying to do the best with what they have at their disposal however the Hilton needs to look at its priorities. Painting during the day in front of guests? Surveying the dining room whilst guests are eating? Two members of staff to work the bar AND the restaurant on a busy saturday night?

The MPW restaurant and bar are most definitely the saviour to the Doubletree and I hope that on our return these issues will have been rectified and we can put this poor experience down as a glitch otherwise my family will be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Hollivy
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for sharing a review with us in relation to your Grandparents stay.

I am disappointed to read that they left the hotel feeling less than satisfied with their experience. I am pleased that one of the restauarant managers was able to compensate you in relation to the unsatisfactory coffee's.

As a hotel, feeback from our guests is extremely important to us to continue to improve our service and standards. We are continuously making improvements to our public areas to keep them up to date from general wear and tear. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies if this had a negative impact on your stay in any way. Your feedback is noted and will be passed to the relevant department heads to review with their teams.

We hope that you are able to come back and stay with us again soon, and see the changes we have made, and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back.