“Friendly”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed August 21, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
General M, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Chester, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Inn Chester

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I find it very odd that this place is still trading as a hotel. I also find it concerning that Best Western allow it to be a part of their scheme, it is a disgrace.

Dirty, dated, noisy and smelly. The only thing I enjoyed about this stay was the fact I eventually got to checkout. I shall be speaking to Best Western directly; I place my trust in them to provide hotels of a certain standard and I'm appalled that they have put their name above the door.

If you would like to know what the place is like, picture a room above a Boozer for £20 per night. That's what you're getting.

Dear David A
I apologise that you did not enjoy your visit, I will contact you under separate cover to discuss your issues. Once again many apologies and hope that you would return to give us a chance to change your opinion.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This seemed good value, however the first room I had was truly dreadful: cracked formica furniture not changed since the 1970s; springs coming through mattress; a tiny room with a small double bed; the tv stand wobbled on its wall fixing; the bathroom substandard! I had a sleepless night.

I must say that ALL staff were excellent, in fact I felt sorry for them having to deal with all the problems!

I was given another room on my second night, but there were still creaky floorboards above and the room decor was tired.

Having said all this, it was good value, the food was good and staff very nice.

Room Tip: Book a top floor room so no floorboards above!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Annypurple

Thank you for your comments, I apologise you were unhappy with your stay, hopefully you would return so we can show you that we can provide the service and standards that your rightly expect. I will pass your comments on to the staff.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel 16th to 18th august, for the races on the saturday, I have to say the staff at this hotel are excellent, very efficient and very helpful, the breakfast is served Buffet style and is really good with a good selection, the location is good close to the railway station and probably about 25 min walk to the racecourse, there was a slight problem with the plumbing when we arrived, a small leak from the toilet cistern, and the Pipes were vibrating causing a loud humming noise, but was dealt with quickly and efficiently by the staff, well done to ALL the staff at this hotel it was a real pleasure staying there and we look forward to staying again soon.

Dear Paulmac11

Many thanks for taking the time to review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The location is good and the staff are really friendly but this hotel could do with being refurbished if I'm being honest and the rooms were really tacky, I would recommend that the Queens or the King's at the Queens is much better if you like stsying wigh best Western hotels.

Dear James C
Thank you for the posting, I can assure you we here at the hotel operate a rolling review and improvement plan and are aiming to have rooms refurbished and updated as quickly and efficiently as possible. Thank you for the comments on our staff i will pass them on.
We hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed with a tour and woke up every morning to aroma of a great breakfast the housekeeper always greeted us with big smile and always chatted the room was lovely clean towels always provided 229 was a pleasure to stay in and Danny (girl) hats off to you

Dear Lneaven
Thank you for your lovely review, I will make sure your comments are passed on especially to Danni. We hope you will return to Chester and visit us again soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was delighted getting a good deal of €59 for double room for 1 night with no breakfast but now I have experienced the hotel I believe I was ripped off. The room smelled of paint, so we left window open all night. There was drilling outside our door at 8 am as there was renovations across from our room. The bath panel (wood) was rotting and splints sticking out. Depressing overall.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Delvindeedoll
Firstly I would like to apologise it does disappoint us when we receive negative reviews, I have investigated with the maintenance team that were here at the hotel, it is unusual as all our staff are aware of timings for certain jobs, unfortunately this was an emergency repair which had to be attended to I do sincerely apologise that this disturbed you. I have also checked your booking and had the bath panel replaced in the room you stayed in and revisited with the housekeeping team to make sure they are noting and informing our in house maintenance of defects. We hope you would revisit to give us chance to prove that service and quality is of paramount importance.