“Great location friendly hotel”

Hallmark Inn Chester
Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great location friendly hotel”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We chose this hotel for an overnight stay in Chester. The hotel is small/medium size and of an era that suits Chester perfectly. The furnishings and decor are very traditional and and the hotel is really characterful, This is not a modern hotel, the floorboards do creek and the ambience is of an earlier era but this is fantastic and does not detract from the comfort. The breakfast is good and substantial and as stated the location is superb. There are two good car parks within an easy walk where you can park for 24 hours for less than six quid, which is good for Chester. We ate at one of the many local restaurants within a five minute walK, really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rugby6603

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed at the best western Westminster hotel on the 17 th November . I have stayed there before and paid more the first time,but this time only paid £70 for the night and have to say the room was like a very dated broom cupboard . It was very small and desperately in need of a refurb .

Room Tip: Rooms numbered 1-10 are poor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for on a business trip for one night.

The room was small, very dated and freezing. At 5pm I asked reception if they could try to close the window as it was too difficult for me to shut, and I'm not feeble by any means but the window nearly fell out of its frame when I tried to close it. And the radiators in both the room and the bathroom were cold even though they were on the highest setting so I asked if they could switch them on for me. At 8pm I returned to my room to change for dinner and the room was still freezing with the window open, I asked at reception again to help...when I returned at 11pm a mobile oil heater had been placed in my room on the hottest setting so it was now like a sauna, and I daren't open the window in case I couldn't close it again.

The female receptionist was attentive, but only when she had finished texting or doing whatever it was she was doing with her phone and bothered herself to look up at whichever customer was waiting to speak to her.

The 'double' bed was two small singles pushed together, I'm not sure what was wrong with them but the head was lower than the foot of the bed...very strange!

I would not recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rpops
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was working nightshift and the maids would wake me up with them cleaning the room above because of the excessive noise of creeking floor boards. Get a top floor room to minimise the noise. The room I had was very small. It was a twin and a good job I liked the guy I was sharing with because it might aswell have been a double because we were that close to each other. Other than that its ok breakfast was very good but get there for it starting as its just been put out.

• Stayed November 2012
Manchester
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I thought I had booked through a well known last minute website the Best Western hotel opposite the railway station on City road, Chester which I now know is called the 'Queens' Hotel. When we arrived at our intended hotel we were directed to a different hotel, the 'Queens' sister 'Westminster' hotel directly over the road. The reception staff indicated that it was a regular occurence and apologised (a little but didn't mention an upgrade). I was annoyed because the last thing I expected of a chain of hotels is to have two hotels opposite each other! School boy error and my fault entirely but irritating.

However, (back to the hotel in mind) the hotel Best Western Wesminster was very good and an exceptional deal at under £70 for a night. The reception staff were courteous and helpful. The initial impression was of an old elegant hotel full of character both on the utside and inside. As we entered a neon light in the reception detracted a little from its old elegance and there was a smell of cleaning solution (smellies) but the interior was very clean and tidy, with floors on each landing warped nicely with age adding to its lovely quirkiness. The hotel was a little care worn in parts (some furniture), but it was well decorated with gun metal paint and a high level of finish. The double room was fine, not too big or small, with two singles pushed together to make a very large bed. We didn't use the bar or breakfast as we got back late and wanted a lie in.
Due to my disappointment and mistake over the booking error I was aware I was initially looking for faults but to be honest there weren't any major ones. Small issues (neon, some care worn furniture) and the bathroom needing a little makeover (tile grouting) it was very clean and everything worked well with no problems experienced. We would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BruceAnglais
Canterbury, Kent
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Some people are never happy. This is a three star and it was less than £50 for the night, including breakfast.

Very friendly staff, professional but relaxed which is nice when you're away on your own. The place has loads of character and perhaps some of the comments on it being a little tired is understandable, but the Best Western Premier is opposite - pay the extra if you want that level.

The bar was supposed to stay open until 11pm, but the chap didn't mind serving us to almost midnight as the two of us in the comfortable bar area were watching the football highlights.

The bed was comfy. It was quiet. Had everything you needed. I'm staying in a terrible Travelodge tonight and it just does not compare.

Breakfast was perfect - so much more choice on the cooked items than so many other places I've stayed. Not just the usual bacon and eggs, but black pudding, hash browns, fried new potatoes - the list goes on. Okay the coffee was a bit rubbish, but couldn't fault everything else. They even made the toast (perfectly) - no waiting around on one of those self-service machines. For how much I had it was a bargain and well worth adding to your stay.

So I can't fault it. If I'm in Chester again I won't choose anywhere else. Perfect combination of comfort, service and price - take heed, Travelodge!

Room Tip: Singles are a little cramped.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dj_kuddlez
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed over night on a winter warmer break which included evening meal and breakfast and the whole stay was superb. This hotel is full of character as it is a very old building but the room was very nicely decorated and spotless, as were the dining rooms and bar. The package was exceptional value for money and i would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Mark588
General M, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Chester, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.