“Short Business Trip”

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Brighton
“Short Business Trip”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently stayed at your hotel on business trip and arrived Sunday evening feeling very dishevelled and quite unwell.

Mark (Reception) and Gareth Owen were very attentive, showed real concern for my well being and were exceptionally helpful and went beyond what I had a right to reasonably expect as a guest.

As a result of their superb customer care I will have no hesitation in recommending your hotel to others travelling to the Chester area and will be booking in myself when on subsequent business trip.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Czech first
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Something has to be excellent to get 5 stars from me (I hope...), but I'm hard pressed to think of anything I didn't like about the Queen Hotel.

Reception staff are friendly enough, check-in/out was quick, breakfasts are excellent for a buffet (if no match for the fresh cooked you get in a good B&B or guest house!).

I ate in the bar (The Waiting Room) one night and the fish and chips were tasty and well cooked and not that expensive. They sell German Weissbier in bottles (need to keep it a bit colder though - 1/4 star off for that :) ) too.

I stayed one night and then a second stay for 4. I got a much bigger room the second time and it was a pleasure staying there (Avoid the 1X01 and 1X02 rooms if you can, mine was smaller than 1403).

My rooms were in the new "Kings" building (and old office block!), but they are well appointed, comfortable and imaginatively decorated - Each floor is themed for a group of Kings (Spanish Kings, Scottish Kings, etc) and each room themed to a King. Some might find it all a bit kitsch, I guess, but it's better than the blandness of some hotels I think.

Beds were comfy and the rooms (and showers!) plenty warm enough when you want.

If you're travelling in by train it's great as it's right opposite the station, but there's no noise from there (that I noticed) and it's not far from town (15 minute walk or less unless you're infirm).

I found myself quite enjoying sitting in the lounge with a beer of an evening, after dinner, reading.

Downsides? Fitness room is rather limited (but at least there is something, a bike, a running machine and a cross trainer, basically), it's a rather long way from reception to the Kings Building down a rather chilly (but fully enclosed) glass passageway.

I can't really think of much else. Perfectly pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is trying to build on its heritage but forgets why it is there. One expects certain basics - hot water from shower, toilet paper in bathroom, working phone, a glass from which to drink, writing paper in room(ok, this might be a too much to ask...?). On speaking with the reception person (remember I couldn't use the phone as it didn't work!) it was clearly an inconvenience to his "busy" evening and was told if I wanted something to drink (water) i could go to bar. As there were 4 people queuing the chances of getting anything quickly was remote. So went for a run rather thirsty!

On return, I did get some toilet paper (very generous of them) but nothing else. Not even an apology.

I get the impression they are more interested in stag/hen parties so be warned!

I left a message for the manager to call me (he didn;t arrive until 09.00?!) but thus far nothing. I did think about not paying but was in too much of a rush to go through that.

So, if it's just a bed you want (remember no hot water or toilet paper) then you'll be OK. But if that's all you want then I might suggest a Youth Hostel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Had great time at this hotel. It is 75 yards from train station, 4 blocks from City Centre, busses are across the street. Staff is informative and gives accurate info and advice. Room was wonderful, clean and comfortable. Breakfast is amazing, bar is relaxing. The "King's Quarter" restaurant, lounge was exceptional: great food, great service, drinks are special and a piano player on Friday and Saturday. Found the experience to be as good as it gets. Especially enjoyed the manager of the Kings' Quarter, a delight. Also a beautiful outdoor area.

Room Tip: Take the train to Chester and enjoy the walk across the street and ...you are in room hotel. It trul...
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My partner is very poorly We have not been away for 18 months and this was to be our 1st time away. I booked an executive room, Room 318 (3rd floor) to be exact, now Karen my partner is able to walk and we took the lift, on returning to the reception as on arrival the key
card machine was broke, the lift arrived at the ground with such a jolt, it
shook both my knees, one I am under physio for and it set off the pain
again and shook her stomach, I believe there should be a sign that warns you of
this, once we knew, we were able to brace ourselves against this.

Next the shower was so under pressured we were unable to shower properly,

The room was very very warm, even though temperatures
dropped to under 6 degrees, even with both windows open this room was still very
very very warm..

When using the hot water at the sink I scolded my hand, there is no warning sign, if the water is that hot surely there should be, what would have happen if this was a young child

The rooms are of great size, why on earth was this rooms bathrooms made so small
that when you actually use the toilet, you either, have to straddle the
sink, or sit twisted on the toilet, another foot would not have compromised
the room, but would have made all the difference to the bathroom.

The bed in that room has one of the worst mattresses I have ever slept in, I retail furniture, I know about mattresses, maybe its due for a change, every time you turned or moved in the bed the springs, made right noises and pingged against each other to the point of a very un-restful 2 nights sleep, we came for a break a rest. Which we did not get.

My last complaint , which i believe is very important was that both fire exits in the room , 1 had like fake cases in front of them and the other had the suitcase airer, or I am not sure what you call it, but both exits were blocked by these items, Im sure this is not right for fire regulations. If I
hadn't of moved them during our stay and there had been a fire we could have
tripped over them , this would have been a disaster, probably is a disaster waiting too happen.

The food was excellent and the staff very warm, the decor, was very traditional and Classy and the room brochure told of ghostly goings on,
The above experiences, have seriously tainted my view of best western and especially the Queens Hotel Our experiences did not relate to a 4 star hotel, but more to a B&B.

Room Tip: If you are a cold person this is an ideal room as very warm
1 Thank simon e
Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This Hotel has a wonderful, old fashioned exterior. The Staff were great, friendly, rooms were well worth the money, comfortable beds, situated near some delicious restaurants.This hotel is well worth it if you get the right deal. Enjoy a comfortable romantic night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AngelaD82
Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here last Saturday to attend a retirement bash. Hotel is ideally situated by the rail station with taxi and Bus ranks opposite. Although we only used the hotle to sleep an and had breakfast the next mornigh the experience was well worth it. The place is steeped in Victorian history and plenty of items, pictures and artifacts are placed around the floors to givre an insight into the history of this magnificent building.
Our room was on the first floor and was very clean with a comfortable bed and pillows to die for. The paintwork on the window frames left a bit to be desired, but thats the only complaint. I could not fault my stay. Checking out was a bit lengthy as we queued for some time, before being told we could just drop keys into the desk as we had payed on arrival. Breakfast was excellent and the service great. a nice touch was the two musicians who "serenaded" us while we had our morning repast. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter, but as its my first visit, I cant really tell which is better or wors...