“Perfect for Romance”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed October 17, 2006

My boyfriend took me to Chester to propose and he could not have picked a more perfect hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Everything about this place is luxurious. The room was comfortable and spacious with an excellent view of Chester. The spa is a perfect excuse to relax and be pampered. The breakfast room is like a mirrored palace and the food was exquisitely presented as well as satisfying. Although the hotel is very expensive it is perfect for a romantic occasion- check out the gorgeous chandelier over the stairs.

7  Thank Bobbin2
There are newer reviews for The Chester Grosvenor

Reviewed October 12, 2006

I booked this for my husband's birthday as a surprise - we could only afford one night because it is expensive but it was so worth it. I'd rather stay here for one night than in an average hotel for two - whatever certain other reviewers might say!

The staff were smart we were ready to be intimidated but they were so friendly! Even though we were a slightly out of place looking young couple they were nothing but friendly and helpful to us.

Our room was amazing and there was lovely Molton Brown stuff in the luxurious bathroom. The pillows on the bed were the most comfortable I have ever seen!

I would love to have tried out the treatments but they are very pricey.

11  Thank SkiptontoSalvador
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We have stayed in this hotel twice so far, the first time being for our anniversary last year. That time we payed the going rate and with dinner for 2 in the Arkle and breakfast, our final bill came to well over £650 for one night!! Although the room was ok (bed was lovely actually), we did find it a little too stuffy, no cd or dvd player and an old smallish box tv in the lounge area. We came away from the hotel regretting that we had spent so much. Second time we stayed was on really short notice and we walked into the hotel at 6pm to check on availability. I think because it was last minute my husband was able to haggle the room price down and we had a great room for almost half the price(still payed over £200 though). My final verdict is that this hotel is in a great spot slap bang in the middle of chester(that's the reason we have stayed twice), the main restaurant although good is very expensive (easily £100 a head) and the hotel rooms need some modernization. We feel that we have stayed in hotels just as good at half the price and that chester could do with another 5* hotel.

4  Thank WilliamsWelch
Reviewed August 28, 2006

third stay in about 5 years and really frustrating - service issues especially, two calls to make certain a wake up call was to be received and none occurred - almost missed train as a result and was only told at the desk "right, not sure why that did not happen as requested" - no apology and no thought at all on customer perspective

if I return to the region, will stay in Manchester at the Lowry - Chester is charming town but once you have been there once, no need to return

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank jamiez
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We stayed for one night in August. I was surprised to read the previous review as we found all staff to be friendly, polite and charming. The hotel is difficult to locate without detailed directions but the valet parking is great when you arrive. I asked for a quiet room and it was perfect (Room 128). I booked very last minute and rang the hotel to give them the chance to make me a good offer - they didn't - so I booked through a website and got a better price, upgrade and free bottle of red wine!
The room had a king size bed and was beautifully decorated. The bathroom was well appointed even with mist-free mirrors and bath was anti slip! There were 2 large wardrobes, minibar, Molton Brown accessories, robe & slippers, DVD, TV, CD/radio, trouser press, minibar, hairdryer etc plus aircon. One small quibble - there was no tea/coffee facilities which I think most of us do like!
We didn't use the spa but we did use the gym which was small but adequate. I don't think you can always expect a swimming pool in a city centre hotel! The previous reviewer may think it de rigeur for the US but five star is slightly different in the UK.
The public areas are very attractive and the Arkle Restaurant looked very nice but we didn't eat there - the menu was too esoteric for our more basic tastes!
The breakfast in the Brasserie was excellent - good and prompt service with a smile.
The hotel is on the main shopping street and close to the ancient walls so couldn't be in a better position.
We ate at Chez Jules - past the town hall and cinema. The food was excellent - good steak and lamb shank.
I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank CheshireReviewer
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Decided to go to Chester for the weekend and stayed at the Grosvenor on a saturday night.

The service was excellent and the room/bathroom beautifully decorated, being spotless clean. Good quality furnishings which looked new. The public areas were just as beautiful.

Breakfast was lovely including all of the usual fare.

The location was ideal, being central to everything - shops, restaurants and historical sites.

The only slight problem was that we had a street facing room (206) and if you are a light sleeper you should take ear plugs for a weekend. The noise is not really loud (I happily slept through it - although my partner struggled more) and the hotel have installed secondary glazing to the beautiful original windows, but you could still hear the odd lively soul/taxi. Altough I mention this as a negative, our home is surrounded by fields and we hear nothing on a night - so I suppose it depends upon what you are used to.

It would certainly not put me off staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Kirstey
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Horrible, absolutely horrible. My first visit to the UK for 40 years and this is the hotel i ended up at.Yes i must admit that the hotel itself is fantastic, however a hotel is more than just the building. I found the staff o be rude and unhelpful and many seemed to look down their noses at me because, as far as i could tell, i had an American accent. I'll tell you what, the management need to come over to the States and see how hotel staff are suppose to act. Over the two Very Long days i spent there i was constantly affraid of talking over a whisper, not what you want when you are spending so much miney. And as for Five Stars!!!!! did they just paint 5 on the sign outside and hope no one would notice. Where i come from you would expect a large pool and gym in any hotel that calls itself a 5 star establishent. All it has is a tiny room were you can pay over the odds for a massage and a steam.
I chose this hotel because of ots rating on this site. My advise to anyone coming to the area is that Chester is a wonderfully quaint city where most poeple make you feel welcome, but if i were you i'd choose to stay in a cheap motel or b&b and spend most of your time looking around. Believe me its a better way to spend your money!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family