“Excellent service. Very expensive.”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Excellent service. Very expensive.”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

First class service from all staff at check in, through bar and room service, continental breakfast in restaurant and check out. Very clean and comfortable 'executive room' but, booked at very short notice due to change of travel plans, I am left thinking the room was really just a normal double en suite - admittedly with a super bed - and I think £300 the night was rather too expensive for what it was . . . in Chester. Last time I was at The Ritz, London, that was £300 the night well spent.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hulcott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We arrived to find an extremely helpful young man called Mark. My partner has broken her foot and has to use crutches. He looked after us from the moment we arrived with a parking place for the car; he ensured that our luggage was taken to our room and even provided us with a cup of tea whilst we were waiting. On leaving he ensured that all the luggage was taken out of our room and the car was ready. So well done Mark. Hope the boss reads trip advisor

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Charles P
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I got a deal with Secret Escapes for one night including continental breakfast for £129.00 staying in a deluxe room.

I stayed with my son. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we stepped inside the hotel to the minute we left. The room was spacious and comfortable and the bed was amazing!!!!!!!!! The bed was big enough to share with a 7 yr old who spins round in his sleep.

The breakfast was delicious. There was the option to upgrade to a full english breakfast for only £9 which I thought was amazing value.

Had I paid the full amount for the room that night, which I checked was £170 I still think it was good value for the quality of this old time classic luxury hotel.

I would advise only staying here with children who are used to behaving well in hotels etc as I did get some stares from other guests when they saw I was with my son. The older couple next to us at breakfast certainly took a breathe in when we sat next to them. The staff made us both feel really really welcome.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Our Daughter was married in June 2014 and we held her weddimg reception at the Grosvenor. From the day we booked the venue until we checked out the dsy after the wedding the hotel and staff couldn't do enough to ensure the day was perfect. Our rooms were outstanding the function suite was arranged specifically for our guests comfort and food was out of this world. Although we are only 40 minutes drive from chester, We plan to return for a nights stay and a meal next time we visit the city.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sheila S
Wales, UK.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed at the Grosvenor with my wife for my birthday.

Good points:

> Concierge parking - very courteous and friendly.

> Room size was fine.

> Quick check-in.

> Bags were taken to the room - nice.

> Very, very comfortable bed

Not so good points:

> Room had not been cleaned well - a layer of dust was visible on many surfaces
> TV was not tuned well - a poor picture.

> Street noise kept us awake between 3-5am (clubbers etc)
> Bar drinks were a rip off and flippant service to boot. Two halves of lager and one Pimm’s was nearly £20.

> Simon Radley restaurant - forgettable to say the least and was in no way Michelin star food or experience (see separate review)
> Breakfast, too expensive to upgrade to a full english. Staff were a bit 'rough' for the standard the Grosvenor is aspiring toward.

Summary:

I really feel that the Grosvenor is living in its own 'blind spot' and needs to improve soon, before it's too late for them. The decision they need to make is, either to accept that in reality they are a 'good 4 star' hotel in a great location with strong heritage, or, that they are indeed determined to reach (and surpass) the 5 star status that they already claiming. The latter will require a raising of standards across the board - with more and better training of staff (in the bar, breakfast and restaurant especially) coupled with much tighter and more effective quality control and supervision systems. There is huge potential in the hands of the right team. I'll watch this space...

Room Tip: late-night street noise from front facing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank tywitops
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hotel is in a fantastic location

The hotel is very grand and I think it would be perfect if it was couples as it was we took our 5 year old daughter, after a long day getting dragged round the zoo we wanted just a quick drink in the bar and the guy nearly broke his neck to tell us to leave as children are not welcome !! It was 6 in the evening and we were the only ones in it !!!

The rooms are a good size we never got chance to use the restaurant

2 Thank Rob51559
South Chailey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I spent two glorious nights with my sister who was visiting from Canada. The bedrooms are very large with beds large enough to need an A to Z to find a way out in the morning. Food in the Brasserie is excellent, breakfast also very good but the high point has to be the staff who are superb. Nothing is too much trouble and they cope with my demands incredibly well. They are truly a magnificent bunch.

2 Thank MJNF