“Amazing wedding experience”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Tenby, United Kingdom
“Amazing wedding experience”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We recently stayed for 2 nights as our close friend was getting married at the Grosvenor. Absolutely everything was spot on from the welcome and check in to the service, the whole of the wedding day was exceptionally well managed (flawless comes to mind). The bedroom, though not huge, had everything we could need and was spotless. We've stayed in quite a few high end hotels as you'll see from previous reviews but the service, attention to detail and staff at this establishment raised the bar for us. I think the bride and groom and all their family were thrilled by how it went and we will be re-visiting next time we are in the area,

Room Tip: afternoon tea looks fab - though we didn't try it and the michellin starred restaurant is a must
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Came to Chester with a group of friends and decided to try a typical english afternoon tea in this reknown hotel.
I honestly believe for the price I paid the sanwiches could have been better.The service was excellent though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gabby Rose G
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were slightly disappointed with the whole experience. I used to visit on each of my girlfriends birthday's it was our joint treat, and it was lovely.
On arrival no porter at the door, the greeting was firstly to take our booking voucher before ensuring we were seated and comfortable. The food was good but the specialness gone, the tea was ok. The waitresses constantly got the floor sweepers out and were bending over vigorously sweeping as we were trying to pretend we were in special surroundings.
Would not buy this as a treat for someone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mead186
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We booked an overnight DBB stay at the last minute on a whim, to try the food. It is undoubtedly Michelin standard but did not 'wow' us as other starred establishments have done this year.
The waitress was excellent and the heavily loaded bread trolley was a nice touch.
The room was much as expected - small but well-presented.
Breakfast was a disappointment - I've never before had poached eggs with a solid yolk surrounded by some uncooked white - how did they do that?!
Paying the bill, it felt a little expensive. Looking at it later, I realised we had been charged for our dinner in addition to the cost of the dinner, bed & breakfast package. A phone call was followed by an hour's wait before confirmation that the extra £150 would be refunded. Had it not been for this fiasco I would not have noticed the 12.5% service charge which was even applied to breakfast - do they not pay their staff a living wage?
We shan't be returning - there are far better Michelin starred restaurants in the region.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bootsontheground
Northants
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed for two nights at the beginning of April. it was an excellent stay enhanced by reading trip advisor reviews in advance. I was therefore prepared for some of the issues that might have made our visit less enjoyable.
I cannot find fault with anything. I was prepared to request a hospitality tray as I had noted this was not standard. It was lovely to have ground coffee for the cafetiere and fresh milk. I was prepared for the held funds but this was annoying but they were back in my account after just a couple of days not the 10 that they could have been. Breakfast service was excellent but I would have liked a savoury element to the continental breakfast. I was with a 13 year old child who likes an egg for breakfast and not much else. I was not prepared to pay an extra £7.50 for this. We did pay the extra for the cooked english breakfast on one morning but that meant that our breakfast cost £25 each when we only had drinks and toast as well.
Would definitely stay there again but perhaps on a room only basis and breakfast somewhere else.
All staff we encountered were excellent. Very professional but friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms can be very warm. We had to open a window so glad we were not on the front as lively area at n...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lucky-peggy
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the grosvenor in december 2013 for our silver wedding anniversary . Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We had a suite and it was absolutely fantastic . We had reserved afternoon tea which was a meal on itself . We also had a meal in the Radley a must for anyone who likes being pampered . I will return dave Waller stoke on trent

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed for their Sunday relax and dine deal, the hotel was lovely and the 3 course dinner was divine with excellent levels of service. I cannot recommend the 3 course set menu highly enough, we ordered a couple of sides thinking that the meal would be small however the meal was substantial and the rib eye main was considerable in size and as tender and tasty as a fillet. If they have the salmon starter I would again recommend, it was almost salmon tartare but beautifully seared on the outside with a gorgeous beetroot puree.

The bedroom was lovely however I do have a few gripes, the hair dryer got very hot in seconds and then cut out, the air conditioning/temperature system is very poor meaning you need to open a window and you then have the issue of considerable street noise from revellers till the very early hours.

My biggest concern came at checkout, on arrival the hotel get you to authorise a pre payment for your stay plus £200 it is now 48 hours since we checked out and that amount is still being held. This was not the biggest issue, when we checked out we were left waiting for 10 minutes and then I asked to pay cash for the extras and debit card for the room, this was duly completed however today I discover that they took the whole amount off my debit card and took the cash as well. It has taken me the morning to sort out and the attitude seemed to be, "oh well, these things happen." There seems to be no process for receipting cash so ensure you check your bank to confirm exactly what has been taken and if you are using a current account ensure you can be without the pre authorised funds for several days until they are returned to your account and available to you again.

Overall I would recommend and I would go again however it is a shame that the checkout process put a damper on what was such a lovely stay in such a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the rear of the hotel so you are not on the main drag
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple