“I can't wait to return to this hotel! Superb!”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“I can't wait to return to this hotel! Superb!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Oh my goodness where do I start?! My husband and I enjoyed a night at the Chester Grosvenor in a Deluxe room though a Secret Escapes deal. Pure luxury, perfect customer service - extremely friendly, not at all pretentious but impeccable service standards.... just perfect from the moment we arrived to when we left. It takes a special type of person to work in hospitality and every member of staff we came into contact with nailed it.

When we arrived and sat down at the desk to check in, we were asked if we would like a hospitality tray in the room which we did - I mention this because previous reviews have mentioned no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, if you request the hospitality tray they bring a tray with a kettle, cafetiere, fresh milk, teas and coffee to your room. Our tray arrived within 10 minutes of checking in. Our bags (including shopping bags) were taken from us, we were then shown the way to our room. The receptionist guided us around the room while the porter delivered the bags.

My husband hadn't ironed his trousers that were packed in his bag, the hotel does provide a pressing service but we just requested an iron and ironing board for the room and it was delivered within 5 minutes.

We ate in the brasserie. I didn't catch his name but I assume that he was the brasserie manager or supervisor, he was extremely friendly and professional. At breakfast we saw him again and mentioned that we were going to look around Chester as it was our first visit. He advised us on some sights and then brought us a map to the table and highlighted points of interest which was very useful.

The hotel is in the heart of the town centre right next to the clock on the walls. The décor is is traditional with a modern edge. It is immaculate and opulent.

Even though we were on a deal we were made to feel as special and comfortable as any full price paying guest. The whole point of these deals is to encourage people to visit the hotel and then to return. Well it worked because we are already planning our next visit, plus I intend to also return with my mother as I know that she will love this hotel too.

Room Tip: Say yes to the hospitality tray when you check in!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014

A superbly located luxury hotel. Traditional in style but immaculately maintained. We stayed in an executive room which was a good size and well equipped. Our bathroom despite being very clean was probablly in need of upgrading. Can't stand shower curtains !!! Lovely to have an entrance area with dressing room - what a great idea as this kept our luggage and clothes seperate and not cluttering the bedroom. We asked for a complimentary tray when we arrived as we had read that there was no tea and coffee facilities in the room.Liked the delivery of bottled water on a evening - nice touch. Not a great view which was a bit disappointing given the price of the room, room 224 looks into other buildings which are quite close. We did feel that although breakfast was excellently served and perfect in every way, that the additional supplement of £7.50 was over the top, the price for the stay was expensive and really this should have been included. Our only other criticism would be that there was no swimming pool, and charges were made for using the spa. Otherwise a wonderful Valentines weekend break, we would definately reccomend and would love to return one day.

Room Tip: Request a room with a nice outlook !
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

we rolled up to the pedestrianised street to be greeted by a friendly Concierge who directed us straight to the Hotel front. the Valet parking provides that extra special feeling and you are well looked after once into the hotel.
we had excellent food and excellent service - its not cheap but worth every penny - the hotel rooms are luxury and everything is quality.
There is no where better for a special occasion - well recommend this for a short stay/long stay.
then leaving the hotel the car was delivered as and when we were ready - we were not rushed away after leaving the hotel.

Room Tip: Book the executive room - the extra was worth it.
1 Thank MarkPWilliams
Wales Uk
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Booked with a Secret Escapes offer at £129, in a deluxe room incl. continental bfast + 20% discount off spa treatments & any other food/drinks.. Also included 2 course dinner in La Brasserie at £20/head with a complimentary glass of Taittinger champagne.

At that rate it was an exceptionally good deal, our room was beautifully appointed, all public areas are too. The bed was enormous and extremely comfortable, slept like a baby! Service from check-in to check out was exemplary. Our room was very quiet as we had requested this, and as such was at the back of the hotel... absolutely fine by us as there was nothing much to look at on a cold grey wet February day anyway. With regard to the room, If I have to be picky I’ll point out the following, we had to call 3 times to get a hospitality tray in the room, I’d asked on confirmation of booking if one could be made available for when we arrived, the check-in clerk also confirmed this had been provided...it hadn’t, I had 2 spa appointments to go to but my husband then had to make several calls over a period of 3 hours to receive one. Ok he could have purchased coffee via room service or gone down to the brasserie but we’d had a terrible drive in the floods/hurricane wind gusts to reach the hotel, my husband just wanted to lie down make a cuppa & watch TV for a while when I was in the Spa, it’s a silly thing to get wrong, this should by default be available in the room. Only other niggle is that the bathroom facilities are in need of a refurb, the shower is over the bath rather than standalone which is unusual in a 5* hotel, however it’s a very old building so that would not have been so bad had it had power and heat, it was very weak and in the morning especially, not very warm. The bath robes, sealed in bags are clean but looking a little worn. There is not much room around the washbasin area and nowhere to hang face or hand towels once used... it wasn't a huge issue, but I feel these things should be improved especially at the rates you would normally pay at this hotel.

The spa treatments I received were fantastic. The therapist was friendly, professional, knowledgeable, and totally committed to making the Darphin body massage I had absolutely perfect for me.. which it was, I also had a manicure lying down ... height of luxury ;) Thank you Joanne for a fantastic experience I hope to return before too long!

The bar is lovely, I counted 30 brands of gin ... didn’t try them all ;) Lovely cocktails, bar man was a great mixologist, we ate in the Brasserie where the high level of service was maintained, food was delicious, wine list comprehensive & not over priced considering the luxury branding of the hotel.

Breakfast... orange juice was obviously freshly squeezed & lovely.. a large glass which you could re-order and some vegood coffee, I did feel there could have been a bit more variety for the continental breakfast, if you didn’t have it included it would be very expensive for what was offered, ie. cereals/porridge, break/pastries basket/toast... likewise the full English, which I think was £25/head for what looked like a pretty standard eggs & bacon plate.

All in all we had a lovely time and I want to revisit, it’s in a great location in Chester but I would only do so on a similar rate/offer, I wouldn’t pay the std rates at this hotel as I think it is overpriced for what’s on offer.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep ask for a room at the rear of the hotel (no views though). I heard...
1 Thank kizza8
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here for our first wedding anniversary. Absolutely gorgeous hotel, very relaxing, very luxurious. When we arrived we found we had been left a little present in our room, a piece of cake congratulating us on making it to a year! Would definitely stay again! Reassuringly expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I travel over an hour just for treatments at this Spa! Thanks Amy for a fantastic pedicure. The Spa is small , friendly and the atmosphere is spot on! Definitely felt pampered and relaxed with lovely comfortable beds to relax on after treatments. The staff are friendly, professional and are committed to delivering a top class service! As in most top class Spa's, it is advisable to book treatments in advance to avoid disappointment.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Warwickshire
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Delightful 2-night stay this week. Really soaked up the ambience in this splendid iconic hotel. Food well presented and well cooked but the enjoyment was considerably enhanced by the staff-so courteous and obliging,infact,we would state that the staff were the best of any hotel that we have stayed in and that is over many,many years of hotel stays !! The problem is " how to we find anything comparable ?" Well done to you all !

Room Tip: We think that perhaps nearly all rooms are similar but rooms at the rea\r are very quiet