“Perfection in hotel management”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We were to spend the weekend in Chester celebrate my wife's birthday, and have dinner on Saturday in the well regarded Simon Radley restaurant. Sadly I was taken I'll just minutes after we sat down for dinner. The staff including the manager were superb and very quickly I was on my way to the A and E at the Countess of Chester Hospital (also very good;no quite excellent).

The hotel is very well furnished, and watching the staff in the restaurant was like watching a well rehearsed ballet. What little of the food I saw looked good. To our surprise at lunchtime the following day the hotel sent a car with an excellent range of sandwiches and cakes in case my wife was hungry. How kind.

Room Tip: I guess they are all good, ours certainly was of a very high standard. The car park is part of the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,630)

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I had afternoon tea with a friend recently. I wanted to swap the menu around a little but this was met with irritation from the waitress attending my table. She struggled to understand what I was saying and got my drinks order wrong, not understanding the difference with green and peppermint tea. Again, to be met with mild irritation by her is understating it a little. She made you feel uncomfortable to ask a question. Other than this, the food was lovely and the other staff very polite and attentive. I go twice a year and have done for a few years and this is the first time I have not been happy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SweetpollyO
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Couldn't fault this hotel, great service, continental breakfast was included in price and was delicious, so glad we didn't upgrade for the full English! Location was so convenient, step right out if the door and into the shops, brilliant. We will be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Shirley87
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was a birthday suprise from my partner to enjoy a lazy sunday special deal. I have been past this hotel many times and always wanted to stay here.
The hotel is beautiful and the staff are friendly and attentive. We were in an executive room and it was just perfect.

Definitly a 5star hotel and I loved the butler on the door with his posh hat and cloak.
Food was delicious but a little bit to fancy for my liking. However the steak was good and cooked to perfection. Id say the restaurant isnt very romantic unless you have a booth. They have a lot of tables for two, side by side and you almost feel like your dining with the table next to you. Would be nice if they had a piano playing or something and spread the tables out.

Beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean just like the hotel through out.

I know this hotel is very expensive to stay at but the deals are good and its perfect for location as the shops, restaurants and bars are all on your door step or walking distance. If you dont like shops and fancy a stroll by the river then that is a ten minute walk away and very pretty no matter what time of the year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cocktailCL
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Just a passing glance at the façade of the Chester Grosvenor with its Roman colonnade (a heavy nod to the city’s past, no doubt) and top-hatted and long coat-tailed doormen standing proudly at its portals will tell you that it’ll cost you more than a few bob to stay in this “reassuringly expensive” establishment. And so it came to pass that my wife and I took advantage of a Sunday night special offer recently as part of a birthday celebration. The room, probably one of their executive types, was spacious and well appointed with an enormous and comfortable bed and “mushy” pillows (my wife kept examining them to see if she could find the manufacturer’s name). The bathroom was also luxurious with some choice toiletries but had one annoying Victorian feature involving the plumbing – the basin water took ages to go down and no amount of fiddling with the sink waste would make it move any faster. But that’s by the by as was the loud marching to and fro of one of the waiting staff in La Brasserie where we ate a delicious and near-perfect three course meal accompanied by a glass of pink Tattinger. Was she practising square bashing for a future military career or was it a signal to all colleagues to step up a gear? Was it all part of well-choreographed service performance that added to the theatricality of the eatery? The rest of the waiting staff moved quietly and effortlessly about and they were all very pleasant, including our aspiring major general (the only one wearing high heels). It set me wondering if there were a few hospitality and catering students undergoing training in a top-notch regime. With another backdrop, it could have been something from Gilbert and Sullivan. La Brasserie has more than a touch of fantasy with its décor and lighting, a bit like stepping into the past as the lead character does in Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris. Next day, after the stars in our eyes had faded, we had breakfast in the same venue. Now, when is a continental breakfast not a continental breakfast? I have enjoyed plenty on the continent, including in Paris, Rome and many other cities where, in most half-decent hotels, it is usual to include a selection of cold meats and cheeses, but nothing more than a muesli mountain and a less than satisfying bowl of porridge along with toast, some breads, jam and tepid coffee at the Grosvenor. The best feature was the selection of breads, nicely presented in an artesan wooden bowl. Given Chester’s Roman heritage, you would have thought something a little more truly continental could have been served for breakfast. If desperately hungry, you can “upgrade” to the full English for £7.50 extra and we had no desire for this having had an “elegant sufficiency” the night before. Speaking of heritage, Chester’s city walls, cathedral and the riverfront are well worth a long detour, away from all the shopping madness, which seems to be the main attraction for many. One tip: always visit a hotel’s own website before looking at the booking sites because you may be able to find a better offer, as I did in this case.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John K
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My partner and I have been planning on moving to Chester and decided to stay at the Grosvener for their Lazy Sunday special. We found the service to be fantastic and felt very welcome and found the hotel to be a great base for exploring Chester. The included meal was lovely (and although one of the cocktails we had wasn't quite up to par - an Aperol Spritz without any Prosecco!) the three course meal and breakfast were top rate. The bed was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept in and woke up refreshed and ready to do some more exploring. Everything we excepted from a world class hotel and an amazing city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samuel_G_H
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Amazing from start to finish! I would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to go and spend a delightful couple of hours at the Grosvenor being pampered with champagne, strawberries, delicious sandwiches, scones, cakes and proper tea served in a proper pot by a very attentive waiter - fantastic service. Worth every penny and considering we hadn't been to Chester for a while, the town is as charming as ever with beautiful Christmas lights, boutique shops, and a small Christmas market - fab!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends