WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Chester Grosvenor

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Liverpool
“Indulgent afternoon tea at the Grosvenor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Amazing from start to finish! I would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to go and spend a delightful couple of hours at the Grosvenor being pampered with champagne, strawberries, delicious sandwiches, scones, cakes and proper tea served in a proper pot by a very attentive waiter - fantastic service. Worth every penny and considering we hadn't been to Chester for a while, the town is as charming as ever with beautiful Christmas lights, boutique shops, and a small Christmas market - fab!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Exvoguemodel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Redhead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as part of a 21-day Scenic coach tour through England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

We welcomed the two-night stay as it was a bit o a "breather" along the way. Little were we to know how valuable and comforting this would prove to be.

The hotel is the absolute epitome in old-world service and this extends right throughout the property including, for example, the breakfasts. No buffet to share with the usual masses. No.

Just an outstanding breakfast served from a menu with white gloves to your table by professional staff. Think of your most desirable breakfast, cooked to your liking, ordered from a most wonderful wait staff and that's what you will receive.

More outstanding service was to come.

Prior to arriving at the Chester, my wife had picked up sort of stomach bug which made her quite ill. As a result, I rang reception at 11.30PM on that evening and a very nice young man asked about my wife's symptoms and said he would contact a doctor and that he would be in touch. Not much more than 30m minutes later the doctor was put in touch with us and, after speaking with my wife, advised her what to do. He then said he would ring at a specific time the very next morning in order to assess her as well as to arrange a visit soon after to examine her.

All of this happened and Dr Bodsworth ("Dr Bod") was true to his word. He was an older man with deep roots to the Chester district. That morning in our room he conducted a thorough examination of my wife - I was present - and he subsequently prescribed an anti-biotic and medication to sooth and settle her. I asked him about payment and he advised me that he would give an account to reception ($AUD150) which was very reasonable given the 3/4 hour he spent with my wife as well as the medication he supplied to her. We can't thank him enough.

Someone else who we can't thank is the young man who took our call in reception late that night when we were quite fearful for my wife's health and welfare. I do not know this young man's name but he acted swiftly in order to help my wife so we cannot thank him enough.

Indeed, when I went to settle my bill prior to departing on the next leg of our tour to the Lakes District the very next morning, this same young man recognised my room number and was gracious and caring enough to ask after my wife's health. At least I was able to thank him in person or his swift action and caring service to us when we were so far from home.

I think this sort of professionalism exemplifies the whole ethos of the Grosvenor Hotel.

Should we ever get the opportunity we would definitely stay there again. We cannot speak highly enough of the entire establishment.

Room Tip: Our room had a southern orientation over an internal roof but, nonetheless, it was very comfortable...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stewey52
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Four of us stayed here at the end of November for a Christmas shopping trip. What a great location for enjoying the shopping, sights and entertainment that beautiful Chester has to offer.
We had the hotel offer that included a higher grade room, breakfast and lunch in their bistro. Fabulous. We loved the elegant rooms in the quirky old building. The sweeping staircase is a must for swanning about on and having photos taken. Parking is easy as it is connected to the hotel via a lift. Altogether a very memorable stay for very reasonable cost. I would definitely recommend this to couples and friends.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kim g
Halesowen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night break at this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. From the doormen who welcomed us through to the managers, we were given wonderful hospitality.
We can not fault this hotel

Room Tip: If you want a room at the front of the hotel then it us advisable to telephone the hotel in advance...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie W
Shropshire,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Excellent location. Very good Spa but room not as good as I had thought it would be. We were in Chester for family research and some Christmas shopping and staying for one night. I booked the basic room at £165 a night. It was nicely decorated but small, overlooked the car park, windows didn't open [we like fresh air not air conditioning]. Bathroom was a reasonable size but there were rather unpleasant brown smears on the tiles [I asked the nice "turn down" lady to clean it and she kindly did so]. We had not come across the "hospitality tray" thing before but on asking if they had tea/coffee making facilities in the room or should we order morning tea they said they would send up a tray. On arrival at the room in the afternoon we asked the girl to send the tray up as soon as possible. After nearly an hour we rang down to see where it was and it eventually arrived. The tray did have a selection of a couple of teas, some coffee "sachets", 2 mugs and a pot plus sugar and a kettle. Morning paper delivered at a reasonable time.
The hotel didn't appear to be full of staying guests but bar/restaurants very busy. Upgrading would encourage people to come back. In addition, on arrival we wanted lunch in the Bar but all tables were fully booked as was afternoon tea. .Nice waiter suggested we sit at the bar on stools which we did. People were queuing for the Brasserie at lunchtime too. We had pre-booked the Brasserie for dinner. So do book everything in advance especially around Christmas time. It appeared there were no concessions for staying guests but the next day we found an area on the 1st floor where it appeared you could have food. No one told us this!
We have stayed in a lot of hotels in the last 6 weeks so perhaps had rather high expectations.
We shall look for somewhere else to stay when next visiting Chester.

Room Tip: Room 250. Rather small but their basic room price. 2 windows overlooking car park. Windows don't...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank luka99
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in an Executive room as we were upgraded. I was staying with my mum so we had asked for a twin bedded room.

We were surprised how close together the beds were, a bit close for comfort in our opinion.

The room was clean and pleasant, nicely decorated. Not as large as we had expected.

We had thought there would be tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but there wasn't any. We discovered that you had to request complimentary facilities, which we did the first afternoon. We were provided with a kettle, a jug of fresh milk and a few tea/coffee sachets. These remained in our room for the 3 days, including the pot of milk. We were surprised that the milk wasn't removed/refreshed and the cups remained unwashed. Also there were no biscuits on the complimentary tray.

The cold tap in our room leaked around the base of the tap, making getting the right temperature difficult to attain.

However after all this, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was nice, and an especially nice change that it was waitress service instead of a luke warm buffet in most hotels.

We appreciated the fresh bottle of water each evening when the beds were turned down.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gingergirl67
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times over the years & loved it. But having read many of the reviews I was a bit concerned that perhaps it had changed!

I have to say though that it is as wonderful as ever. The staff are cheerful & polite. The rooms are clean, fresh & they really have thought of everything! (Hair bands, nail file, a section of the bathroom mirror that doesn't mist up!!)

I was a bit disappointed after reading some reviews that there was no tea/coffee facilities in the rooms. But after a quick read through the folder on arriving it clearly says a complimentary tea tray can be bought to your room. And once we had it they kept it well stocked throughout our stay.

My mum & I come every year to do our Christmas shopping & although we don't always stay here we do always book dinner in the brasserie & it's lovely. As for breakfast- continental is included & there is a great selection- you won't leave hungry!

We'll definitely be back & I hope some of the more negative comments on here don't put people off as it really is a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed December 2013