“Total luxury”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here by surprise for my 50th birthday; a surprise because I was booked in to a sister hotel which experienced a flood on the eve of my stay so was put up here instead. It was fabulous! The room we stayed in was complete luxury - the biggest bed we have ever experienced. The service was impeccable and room service breakfast was to die for. Also had a wonderful treatment in the spa - just delicious. Want to stay here again asap.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,630)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We visited here for my birthday for there afternoon tea event, and was totally blown away by the service that we received. It was a very enjoyable experience. A must visit if your ever close by. Me and friend were amazed at the vast array of different teas and coffees and just the attention to detail of the whole experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The ease of parking; help with our luggage; a wonderful room; delicious, beautifully presented food and outstanding service transformed this stop-over into a memorable experience. Brilliant, thank you.

Room Tip: The staff will be happy to advise you
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed on a one night break with my wife. In discussion with the friendly and attentive staff we mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary. They surprised us with "Happy Anniversary" decorations added to our sweet course at our evening meal. A lovely touch!

I would thoroughly recommend this sumptuous hotel and its staff. I cannot speak highly enough of it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night 2 years ago and on our arrival John the doorman remembered us. I must say that others should note the excellent customer service and relations he provides and as the first one you are greated by when arriving at the Chester he makes you feel welcome. We arrived just after midday and was advised our room was not yet ready - which is understandable as they provide a 12pm checkout. I am a small luxury hotel member but booked through booking.com but all my requests were met. We stayed in room 320 which had great views of the Eastgate Clock. I would highly recommend the Chester Grosvenor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked a 2 night spa break for my 50th birthday with my friend.
We booked about 6 weeks before and it was £220 for the use of the spa for 1 day with a 45 minute treatment and evening meal on one night.
We were pleased with the price and arrived weds 30th October at lunch time, check in staff and concierge were very helpful and polite, we were shown to our room which had been upgraded and was a deluxe room it was lovely , the porter said there were robes for us to use in the spa and then left.
We were booked into the spa for treatment at 2pm ,when we arrived carrying the robes , a disgruntled receptionist asked why we didn't have the robes on? We'll as our room was on the 2nd floor and we hadn't been told we just came down dressed, she snapped that here may be no. Lockers available , although hit here appeared to be no oh her people about??
As we had booked 6 weeks in advanced we were somewhat surprised at this and were given paper bags to put our clothes in and carry round!
After our facial which was wonderful we were told we may use the spa , we'll the spa was eh size of my lounge at home , which isn't very big and consisted of a supposed foot spa which was basically a sink with hot water in , no jets just still water?! we were told we could use the shower which was supposed to have 4 settings including summer and winter , this did not work?
The sauna had no water for the coals and the stem room was about the only thing that did work , we were round it in approx 20 minutes, when I asked was here a swimming pool or jacuzzi I received a curt no!
We were under eh impression we would spend the afternoon on the supposed thermal experience , it was a letdown and we ended up getting dressed and going out to shop I was highly disappointed, to add insult to injury the hotel attempted to charge us for the spa on our 2 nd day at £35 each which we definitely did not use!
The hotel is lovely and majority of staff are lovely, night bar staff were wonderful on my birthday keep ingot he bar open till late and nothing was too much trouble, food and room were lovely but the spa was a total let,down would not book a spa break here again but would stay in the hotel itself, just watch out for hidden extras as we asked for a bucket of ice on 2 occasions for drinks and £8.00 was added onto the bill, I mean come on frozen tap water, otherwise a lovely hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary in deluxe room. Check in was fine. Room itself was nice - bathroom very dated & not what you would expect from 5 star hotel. The air conditioning / heating system was very noisy.We paid the extra 35 to use the thermal suite - was told it was a bit busy so there were no available lockers so could we arrive in our swimwear & robes.....to be honest the thermal suite is not worth paying the extra, it really should be included in the 250 plus room price. We had the tasting menu in simon radley - this was really good & the staff in there were friendly & very knowledgable. Breakfast was good although again I find it annoying to pay extra for full English! I wouldn't stay here again - the whole feel of the place was that they were constantly money grabbing. I would highly recommend the simon radley restaurant though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple