“Weekend stay”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed January 26, 2013

For a 5 star hotel ...dissappointed. The hotel is an old hotel and the decor is lovely , however it just lacks the 5 star experience. We arrived for a special evening away, and we did get a suite as a complimentary upgrade, however for what we paid , all you get is a posh bed and complimentary wi-fi, well it's a big bed but I didn't feel the lavish Egyptian cotton sheets at all, which I would expect in a 5 star hotel. In the suite , not even a complimentary bottle of water, and if you want tea and coffee you have to request it , and not even a ginger nut, nothing. I have stayed in some hotels in my time over the years and it is a far shout from 5 star with regards to complimentary items in the room. You get more in a premier inn. Towels hard and over used, not soft as you would expect for 5 star . The rooms are nice , more traditional but not a wow factor. We did book to dine in le brassiere, but we cancelled and went round the corner to McDonald's steak and grill, fantastic and far better value for money. The hotel is a nightmare to find, badly signposted, actually there is none, I wouldn't stay here again , there are better hotels around that give you more for 4 star. Oh and the minibar , don't ask prices are hefty, I don't mind paying, but I refuse to give them 4 times the price of the high street, and as the hotel is on the high street you would be nuts to pay.

5  Thank TRISHTRISH92
There are newer reviews for The Chester Grosvenor

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great position in the heart of Chester and tip top accommodation and service. Subsidised car park is also a bonus. Both restaurants are excellent with good wine lists. Staff are very helpful. Stepping out of the hotel, you are immediately in the main street in Chester with shops, coffee bars and restaurants all around. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have had afternoon tea at quite a few classy Hotels, but this is certainly one of the best! Beautiful hotel in the centre of Chester, we had cocktails first and then our champagne tea. I had the 'Gentlemans' option - (I am female) which included chunky chips, gorgeous. Very naughty but we then ordered a bottle of Tattinger champagne - £66, but we're worth it!

You need to book a good few weeks in advance

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MotherManchester
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in the executive suite with my wife and young daughter. We decided to eat in the room instead of the Brasserie and I must say the room service was impeccable. We ate a la carte with several dishes, cheese and desert. As soon as we finished the first dish at a dial of the phone the next dish would arrive with the room service nice and hot. Hotel staff were friendly and professional as one would expect from a high standard 5 star hotel palace. Probably the top best hotels in the North West of England.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nigel C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had to visit Chester for a day and on a whim decided to stay over. With a combination of Air miles and cash we were able to book into the only hotel I could remember in the main shopping district.
I'd had coffe and small meals in the brasserie before, but never stayed over.

From the moment we pulled up to leaving the next afternoon, our stay was superb, quality, comfort, attention was first class. Even asking for help with directions was no problem.

We were squeezed into the Simon Radley after a cancellation and had a superb meal.

Faultless!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Returned to the Grosvenor last weekend to celebrate our Wedding anniversary and it didn't disappoint. We managed to get a special offer which included a meal in the Brasserie ( we ate out last time as the kitchens were closed ) at a great value price. The whole experience of the Grosvenor is great - from the guy waving you into the lay by outside and opening the car door right through to closing it when you leave. For those people who seem to take delight in moaning about the walk from the car park - why ?, just drive up and they park it for you !!.
The meal in the Brasserie was excellent - "posh fish and chips" the waiter called it, I don't care is was great !. The chunky chips are brilliant, and don't worry that it's a small pot because they are VERY filling !. We even did the "healthy" continental breakfast next day which is unheard of.
The weather ( snow ! ) put a bit of a damper on things meaning we left well before check out just in case, but I'm sure we'll be back....

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We unfortunately could only manage to stay one night at this hotel but it was faultless!!!
To come away from a hotel of this size and have no complaints I think is outstanding.
We arrived and had lunch in the brasserie which was lovely, looking out onto the snowy street.
We then had treatments booked in the spa, which were great.
We did get a table with Simon Radley and we were not disappointed! I can honestly say after eating at many 1 and 2 restaurants this is at the top of my list!! Superb from start to finish, not surprising he has retained his star for so many years.
We would also like to say that ALL the staff we encountered were first class and more than pleasant.
Breakfast too was a delight both the English and continental were delicious.
With an old time feel but a truly modern approach, this hotel deserves top marks.
We will be back
Well done
Kendra CORNEY

Room Tip: We did have a larger room but I'm sure all will be perfect