“Superb hotel - overnight stay 18/1/13”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We unfortunately could only manage to stay one night at this hotel but it was faultless!!!
To come away from a hotel of this size and have no complaints I think is outstanding.
We arrived and had lunch in the brasserie which was lovely, looking out onto the snowy street.
We then had treatments booked in the spa, which were great.
We did get a table with Simon Radley and we were not disappointed! I can honestly say after eating at many 1 and 2 restaurants this is at the top of my list!! Superb from start to finish, not surprising he has retained his star for so many years.
We would also like to say that ALL the staff we encountered were first class and more than pleasant.
Breakfast too was a delight both the English and continental were delicious.
With an old time feel but a truly modern approach, this hotel deserves top marks.
We will be back
Well done
Kendra CORNEY

Room Tip: We did have a larger room but I'm sure all will be perfect
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,546)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

From the minute we arrived we had first class service. When we booked we wanted to dine in the Simon Radley michellin stared restaurant but it was fully booked, however the receptionist had my phone number and said if she had a cancellation she would call us, and sure enough she did..
We arrived early and when you check in you are shown to a comfortable chair and desk, our room was not quiet ready so the receptionist told me she would ring me to let me know when our room would be available which she did.
The room was spacious and pristine.
We ate in the Michelin starred restaurant from the moment we entered the Restaurant we were treated like royalty All the staff were extreemly well trained very polite and nothing was too much trouble the standard of service was impeccable
I could not find one fault what so ever with the whole experience. I travel a lot and love nice places this is my favourite hotel of all times cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was very privileged to enjoy the tasting menu in your wonderful restaurant on the 6th of November 2012, which was a birthday gift from my wonderful Fiancee. We were met at the start of your Bar and Lounge area by a very pleasant and professional member of your staff greated us very warmly with a beaming smile. We were shown to a lovely table by the couch as we awaited for our table to be prepared. The atmosphere was very warm and almost magical. We were immediatly presented with a wine list. Our wines seemed to appear immediately before us giving us a good ammount of time to enjoy the drink and the stunning decor. We were shown to our tables by an equally friendly member of staff and seated at an immaculately prepared table. The service was excellent, at all times we were treated with warm smiles and very passionate staff who despite working very hard always had time to see to us. Of particular note was Sebastian, the blond waitress with the beautiful smile (I'm sorry I'm horrible with names) and the head waiter Mr.Wiesiek (who ensured our stay was extra special). The food was devine and the bread....Oh My the bread....addictive. Given the chance I would of ran out of that restaurant on the bread trolley and dissapeared into the night. Ofcourse that isn't very lady like or legal for that matter. Our wine matchings were Good and all in all the evening was amazing. I have one piece of critique which actually has nothing to do with the restarurant, the food or the staff. But I'm hoping it will be read by the 4 business men in the table in front of us. Who disgusted me to the highest level, it seems when somepeople have money they feel its okay to talk about and parody others. Such was the case with one of these men who thought it was hillariious to do so right behind one of the waitresses back. I think next time I'll just get up from my chair and tell him what I think about it,in a way I regret not doing that. Instead I chose to be even nicer to that waitress for the amazing job she was doing. Having completed our meal we moved back to the lounge and had amazing one on one service from Mr.Wiesiek who took excellent care of us and treated us to amazing petit fours. All in all it was a splendid experience and I will definately return...maybe for a wedding anniversary :)

Room Tip: Make sure you hit the gym for a good solid 2 weeks so you can burn off as many calories as possible...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed one Saturday night due to attending a private party held in the wine cellar.
The service you receive at the hotel is fantastic as well as the ambiance of the hotel in general, you know you are in a nice hotel.
Our room was a classic room and was very nice however the floor in the bathroom was freezing being all marble, perhaps a small point but under floor heating would have made all the diffrence.
The other iritating point is that if you want a hot breakfast its extra, now if you are paying £170-230 per night for the cheapest room I find it iritating that its an extre £7.50 per person for a cooked breakfast

Room Tip: Check the softness of the bed before excepting the room. Me and my partner kept trying to cling to t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent a night at The Chester Grosvenor during a recent trip to the U.K. We were there during a race weekend, but the service was quite good--even at breakfast when there was quite a crowd. The hotel has been nicely modernized, and the rooms are quite comfortable and attractively decorated, if a bit small. Breakfast and drinks at the bar were tasty and the public rooms are well detailed and spacious. The location cannot be beat--on the main street and steps from the Roman ruins and the cathedral. Parking is also easy as it is adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night just prior to christmas on the way to Ireland to break up the holyhead drive. Very grand hotel with lovely front of house set in a great location.

We found the front os house staff excellent, receiption, bell, doormen etc very polite and friendly.

Checked into our room which was lovely, a grade up from the bottom if I remember rightly, mini bar very expensive but you do kind of expect that in a hotel of this class. All very clean and tidy with nice furnishings.

We were on a package so got a treatment included which was good, dont expect much of the spa its absolutely tiny! but enough space for a few treatment rooms.

I was dissappointed with the bar service. There were a lot of shoppers and no doubt guests but it took me an age to get served a drink and I had to ask for crisps literally 3 times before they arrived when everyone else around me seemed to be being waited on without delay. Stuck in my throat a bit that they were obviously shoppers and not guests due to the bags and coats etc, it was obvious I was a guest so expected to be prioritised to be honest but didnt happen.

Anyway, putting that aside we had a great dinner with lovely steak and breakfaqst was equally good.

Only reason it isnt 5 stars for me is due to my initial experiences in the bar, and I think the valet parking is good but would be even beter if they offered a car cleaning service as my car definitely needed a wash and vacumn after the 300 miles to get there so I was hopeful they offered such a service.

Put it this way we intend to go back, so these are minor quibbles.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neilaw
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We are regular visitors to the Grosvenor and it never disappoints. It cannot be faulted for its service ,the standard of the rooms and the restaurants. In our opinion the best hotel in the UK . It's not cheap but it's well worth the money. True luxury.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple