“nice hotel”

Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“nice hotel”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed with friend and kids. We had two rooms, nice little english hotel. staff were nice. Breakfast was good, area is not busy high street , its in the middle of residence area. However, plenty of people coming in and out including locals. There was nice siting area or lounge. Maybe good ten minutes walk to chester city centre.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aki3013
Mariongillyhow, Owner at Brookside Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
On behalf of all the Staff and Management at The Brookside Hotel, we would like to thank you for your lovely review. We are all delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us and hope to see you again in the non too distant future. Once again our sincere thanks. Marion Gilfoyle (Owner) Brookside Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Kent
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I can only sum this hotel up by saying that it was ok.
There were some nice features. I particularly liked the small bar area and there were some nice touches in the room.
But, I have to say, I didn't think that the breakfast was great and along with the nice touches in the room, there were some cheap looking bits thrown in as well.
I also hate to say this, but I found certain members of staff a bit over powering as well.
I found it to be one of those hotels that, if I visit Chester again, I may stay somewhere else. But, it would not be a problem if I stayed here again.
Hence the summing up, it is ok.
Just to finish off. It is a fairly good location. Just a 10 minute walk to the centre and a local bus will take you to Cheshire Oaks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KentNick
Mariongillyhow, Owner at Brookside Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I was sorry to read that all was not ok with your visit here with us at The Brookside I can only assure you that at all times we try to make everyones stay as enjoyable as possible. I'm not quite sure what you didnt like about our breakfast as we offer, yohurts, fruit, ceral, omlettes, smoked salmon, full english etc. again I must apologise that it was not to your liking. I hope should you visit Chester again, your trip is more enjoyable as we are very poud of our hotel and wonderful City. Marion Gilfoyle (Owner)
milton keynes
Reviewed February 19, 2013

what a lovely hotel.
my wife and I are blind people with guide dogs and we were all made very welcome.
the hotel is extremely friendly, comfortable, and the staff are very attentive.
the food was extremely good with a wide choice of menu.
I've stayed at some top hotels like the London savoy and the way we were treated
was on a par with them.
we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will certainly go again, plus we've been telling
all our friends about this little gem we've found.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pete g
May I personally and on behalf of the team at the Brookside Hotel, thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted that you, your lovely wife and your adorable dogs were made to feel welcome and looked after. It was also delightful to meet all your family. We hope you will visit us again. Your compliments have been passed onto the team and our chef. With sincere thanks Marion Gilfoye (Owner Brookside Hotel)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Brookside is about 10 minutes' walk from the city walls and there are no particularly hazardous junctions for pedestrians to negotiate on the way. The hotel has a small parking area but there is plenty of on-street parking in the quiet and safe surrounding area. The staff are extremely friendly and chatty and will go out of their way to help. There is a nice lounge area downstairs, where "Brookie" the hotel cat is often to be found having a nap. The full English breakfast was excellent (although black pudding would have been good) and readies one for a hard day's touring... The family room we stayed in was perfectly comfortable, if on the small and crowded side.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sincere thanks from all at The Brookside Hotel, for your very informative review, we are so pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will visit again soon. With very best wishes Marion Gilfoyle (owner) Brookside Hotel
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked the hotel after reading reviews on this site. After a horrendous journey on the Friday afternoon due to roadworks and weather we arrived at the hotel before the 2pm check-in time. The hotel is easy to find and the sat nav took us straight there without confusion and was an adequately sized car park on the side of the hotel.

The gentleman on reception was very friendly and quickly let us in. Despite being early we only had to wait less than 5 minutes for him to check our room was ready and then he told us we had been put in a family room which was great.

The room was tidy and plenty of space, with a big TV and a nice clean bathroom. The radiators could be adjusted so ended up having a great night's sleep in a nice quiet room. The lobby area of hotel was cosy and comfortable. The location of the hotel is great, about an 8-minute walk to the centre of town ( i think i heard someone say that they paid £4 for a taxi!). There is also the added bonus of a free car park as my parents stayed at one of the city-centre hotels and had to pay for car park for 2 days - which wasn't cheap.

Breakfast was fine in the morning and check out took all of 1 minute. So would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends. Great value, location and service. Will be staying here next time we come. Ignore the bad reviews (not that there are many) as i am sure some people just go looking for things to moan about!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank strikerbw
May I sincerely thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel, nothing give us more pleasure than to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much on behalf of the whole team, and we hope you will visit us again when passing through our great City.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

There are many perfectly good things about this hotel. It's excellently located - 10 minutes' walk from Chester, and 15 minutes from the train station. The staff were very helpful, and although I didn't patronise the bar the downstairs seating looked very comfy. My mattress was very comfortable, the blackout curtains ensured a good night's sleep, and the TV not only had decent reception but also a built-in DVD player.

However, there were some flaws. My main issue is that, when I came to take a shower at about 11am, there was no hot water to be had. Having specifically booked into a decent hotel so I could pamper myself whilst getting ready for an evening out, that was something of a disappointment! The bathroom itself was absolutely tiny - it only housed the shower cubicle and the loo, the sink was in the bedroom (which itself was fairly small) as there was no space in the en suite - and the ventilation fan was very loud. And I was in a 'small double' room (room 8) - as I was on my own, I was fine, but I think two people would struggle to be comfortable in a bed that size. In addition, there was no full-length hanging space in the wardrobe.

Nothing horrendous, except the lack of hot water, but I would expect a little higher quality for what I paid and judging by the hotel photos. I get the impression that guests' experience of this hotel varies greatly depending on the room they're given.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jennifer M
I was sorry to read your review "could do better" and apologise if in anyway your visit with us was disappointing. I spoke to both the AA and Visit England regarding their comments of the room you stayed in, fortunately they have still rated it at a top level 3* room. Your personal opinion is valued and your comments have been noted. Marion Gifoyle (owner)
leominster, herefordshire
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel was very comfortable, welcoming and a pleasure to stay at. I stayed with a group of 'shopaholics' and Chester did not dissapoint us. Cheshire Oaks was great aswell. I would definately return here and recommend to others. Loved the relaxed seating areas in the bar for the evening where we relaxed both nights. We stayed in room 21 which was a four poster room plus single bed. Lovely and cosy with good bedding. The only issue we had was the room was too warm but thats personal taste. A great stay. Thank you to the staff who were very warm and hospitable. A credit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank adyboxhall
Mariongillyhow, Owner at Brookside Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
On behalf of All the team at The Brookside Hotel we would like to thank you for your lovely comments. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed our City which we are very proud of. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.