“a very memorable experience for all the right reasons”
Review of Rowton Hall Hotel

Rowton Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary and stayed in the Henrietta Maria suite which was a delightful experience. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff were friendly ,courteous and efficient. The food was prepared and served to a very high standard. This was our second visit and we are already looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank frankBarnoldswick
Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed April 18, 2010

Just returned from three days stay at Rowton Hall with three girlfriends. We were meant to be going to Spain but due to Volcana in iceland all flights were cancelled... so we looked on internet for luxury spa hotel in Chester (one of us remembered going to Chester years ago). From first phone call we couldn't have been more welcomed. All the staff were extremely efficient and pleasant and couldn't do enough for you.... lead by Tony the manager.. who was just wonderful. Put himself out to sort rooms, recommended where we should go and just took the time to have a good old natter with us, The rooms are lovely the spa and treatmeants were great... food was great.... can't says enough to recommend this place. xx

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We decided to stay at Rowton Hall for a short break over the weekend of 2 to the 5 April 2010. We can say that if you are a business professional working hard and need some 'down time' then this place is much recommended! We work extremely hard and I have to say we were - well - 'stressed out.' I telephoned and spoke to 'Tony' the manager and I have to say initial contact makes an impression - he was very friendly and professional answering all of my questions - I decided to book!
From the moment we arrived we were treated - not well - but absolutely fantastically well! I have to say the staff are probably the most helpful I have ever come across and I travel around not only the UK on business but indeed around the world. These people are great - a quick mention of Karl - one of the waiters!
The 'spa' and 'gym' are also well worth a mention - my wife made full use of the 'spa' facilities over our short time and was wonderfully relaxed! Whilst I did not use the 'spa' myself - I did use the 'gym' and indoor swimming pool - the 'gym' is equipped with all new equipment and affirds facilities for almost any workout - great stuff!!
We liked the place so much we didn't go out - simply relaxed and indeed enjoyed being totally looked after.
So in short - well done Tony O'Hare and staff at Rowton Hall - much recommended - give it a try - we shall certainly be returning!

Peter Franks LLB
Solicitor

1  Thank Bapsy3732
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed here about five years ago and got a great price for a Sunday night DB&B. We decided to try the hotel again Easter Sunday and booked a room and DB&B for £130.

We arrived early and our room was ready but on the second floor with no lift. It was easy to change to a ground floor room in the new wing. We wanted to get a light bite but we were told that this was not possible as chef was too busy with Easter Sunday Lunch. We had a drink at the bar and asked another member of staff if there was a garage near by where we could get a sandwich as chef was too busy. It turned out he was the manager and he brought us two rounds of sandwiches with no problem. We noticed he was on hand throughout our stay and seemed to keep a close eye on making sure guests were happy a real plus point.

Our evening meal was delicious with the sea bream and saffron and shrimp risotto a real hit with both of us. The wine we selected was expensive but worth every penny. The wine list is extensive and if our selection is anything to go by has some quality wines which staff will help recommend. A few minor issues with slow service taking our order prior to the meal but nothing to spoil a great evening.

Breakfast is cooked to order which we much prefer to the buffet style which you often find even in 5 star hotels. Tea in a big pot and toast and hot drinks refreshed on request. The fruit was limited to grapefruit with some dried fruit options such as apricot. Perhaps more choice here would have added that little bit extra to breakfast.

I used the spa for a facial which was a lovely experience apart from one thing. You change into your robe and slippers in the health spa changing rooms then have to walk through the area where health club users can have a drink and watch TV. The Everton West Ham match was on and so there were about 15 people in this area. The robe seemed very small and I seemed very large which is not the most relaxing way to start a treatment!

Over all it was excellent value for money with the food and the service from the manager well worth a five on trip advisor. Don't all book at once we want to go back!

2  Thank campfaz
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We had no hot water on the first night and only a quick apology when we mentioned this to manager.
We went Valentine's weekend and we were very disappointed with the menu.There was no choice on the menu and both evenings lamb was served. The chef obviously lacked any imagination. We were not the only people to comment on the lack of choice. The canapes served were Iceland specials! Spring rolls and prawns in filo pastry. Disgusting!
I have emailed them twice but have not received any response which is a shame as this could be a lovely hotel.
The Spa is brilliant and the staff there were very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank braganzauk
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I love Trip Advisor and use the reviews frequently to plan business and family travel and have found the general consensus to be pretty accurate. Sometimes one sees a set of reviews similar to Rowton - some are fabulous some are horrific and I have learnt that this is usually due to either a generally angry person or someone with an axe to grind. Let me tell you, the 5.0 marks are the ones to beleive for this hotel.

Having stayed at five star hotels on every continent I can state with absolute certainty that Rowton Hall and Spa is splendid - a jewel in the British crown. I was part of a small business group for a conference. From the moment I was met at Manchester airport in a chauffeur driven Mercedes arranged by the hotel to the moment I left nothing was anything other than perfection. The hotel is a charming 18th century building. Are there some defects in stonework? Yes, but that happens after over 200 years! The grounds are gorgeous and tranquil, Victoria at check-in was all smiles and assistance, a pot of freshly brewed tea was immediately brought to me to refresh me from my transatlantic flight. by a smiling, polite and smartly dressed young man. My room was clean, comfortable and elegant. The food was awesome from the superb creamy scrambled eggs and magnificent privately smoked salmon at breakfast, to a blade of beef with a mushroom and wine reduction at dinner. The wines were interesting, many I have never even heard of, very well priced and the staff were knowledgeable without being either obsequious or pompous.

The spa, pool, steam room, sauna, gym are top notch, The conferencing capabilities were excellent - we were a group of about 20 - and the technical help was superb.

Above all else, the staff were magnificent. Kind, anxious to please and genuinely warm. Mr. Tony O'Hare, the general manager, was ever present - indeed, when I drifted up to bed one evening at 2am (we were enjoying the well-stocked and cozy bar!) he was still around, keeping an eye on his guests.

The day I left, a family were viewing the hotel as a possible site for their wedding and I told them to "book it now - in fact I would be happy to bring my wife back to the UK from America to renew our vows at Rowton Hall - a lovely, lovely hotel. Go there, you will not regret it. Having stayed at the Chester Grosvenor I would choose Rowton every time - more friendly, less pretentious, less expensive and simply put an all round better experience.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2010

OK, first things first. This place is fantastic. A true country house hotel, complete with oak panelled rooms, a wonder conservatory, elegant dining room and cosy bar. Even better are the rooms. We took a junior suite, which came with a 4 poster bed, elegant furnishings and a lovely view over the grounds. The details of the room were good too - very clean, robes in the wardrobe, a spacious bathroom with bath, shower and TV(!). Complementary use of the spa was much appreciated as we arrived on a cold January night - a warm swim, jacuzzi and sauna were just what we needed!

So a 5* location, so why did it manage to score such an own goal when it came to service? I've seen much worse, but there were just these niggley things that contrasted with the rest of the experience that was so luxurious. Breakfast to our room was lovely, but it arrived 25 minutes late, and only after we'd phoned to find out what had happened to it. And then the napkin had butter stains all over it, so I had to go and get another one. Lunch in the bar was delicious, but the food came without the advertised dressings, which we had to ask for, along with a salt shaker that actually had salt in it... May sound like trivialities, but when you're paying £9 for a sandwich, is it really too much to ask?

So we would recommend this place - it's a fantastic place for a weekend getaway. But to the staff - just a little extra effort would catapult Rowton hall into the 5* league. Come on chaps.....

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple