“reMARKable & tantiLIZing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

What an excellent welcome we received from Mark & Liz. This small but intimate restaurant has a very welcoming atmosphere. We were talked through the menu and Mark described the specials (including some very special wines at discount prices) in detail. The food has a distinctly Italian theme, yes there is pasta and pizza but this is not your usual pizza place. There is a pride in what they serve and they want you to enjoy the experience.
We started with a variety of "small plates" - very colourful and tasty. Had to stop ourselves eating to leave space for the mains.
I ordered one of the specials, a lamb dish served with fresh vegetables (a salad was provided for our table of 4). My wife opted for a seafood risotto, a seafood linguine was ordered and a gnocchi dish. All were described as delicious. Washed down by wines recommended by Liz and Mark.
Finished of with coffee, cheeses and drinks, we really didn't want to leave this little oasis.
Certainly will go again and recommended to anyone visiting Chester who is looking for a relaxed evening out.
Oh and they do cooking classes and tasting evenings - great gift ideas. Loads of imagination has gone into La Cantina - well done.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Spent a lovely evening at this small Italian restaurant when visiting Chester. From the phone call to book a table to the goodbye at the end of the meal the experience was excellent. Staff attentive but not intrusive and just excellent food! Large menu choice. Wish we could lift and drop this restaurant into Wolverhampton!! Great evening out.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Spent a wonderful evening at La Cantina. The food was superbly fresh and imaginative and the flavours were excellent. The service was efficient and inobtrusive and nobody rushed us to finish our meal. We were a bunch of 7 people of varying tastes and preferences but we all agreed it was some of the finest food we'd ever eaten - Italian or other. Would definitely recommend the place and it would be on my must visit list for Chester alongside the other tourist attractions. You must try it for yourself!!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Brilliant food and a very warm welcome with a lovely ambience. Well worth a visit. The vegetarian options were excellent and there was a good selection of wine to choose from. The location is close to the centre of Chester and easily accessible. I went with a group of friends and the service was very good, nothing was too much trouble. The portions are very generous, the only disappointment being that I did not have any room left for a dessert.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

As part of a hen party I went with 7 others for a two course Italian cooking session this weekend. The food we produced under the guidance of the owners was great (if i do say so myself!), and reflected our groups preferences and some of the dishes available on the menu. I will definitely try some of these dishes at home. We were the lowdown on their italian background and the regional nature of italian food before the session started, and they are clearly knowledgeable and passionate about the food and their restaurant, and we all really enjoyed the experience.

I am fairly local to Chester and will be recommending this restaurant to my friends and family. I am surprised by the few negative reviews this restaurant has had, and would highly recommend visiting. As the owners suggest in their response to one if the reviews this isn't a run of the mill, pub-chain restaurant and whilst those types of restaurants have their place, la cantina is refreshingly out of the ordinary.

If the food produced during this experience day is reflective of their menu, which I feel it was, then I would happily pay the prices listed on the menu. The food had an authentic, and varied feel (more than your average 'same-old' pizza and pasta options), and the ambience in the restaurant reflects the down to earth, open and amiable attitude of the owners.

Thankyou Mark Liz and Amy - I hope to be back soon.