Chester is, I have to say, a lovely place. I have been to the race course many times but usually lost so badly that a night out on the town afterwards has been resigned to the realms of fantasy. On this visit my car had blown up rather unspectacularly and so I found myself in need of lodgings for the night, whilst the old bus was patched back together. Thank God, I say, for VW's and their moody catalytic converters, because as a result of my motoring debacle I discovered The Commercial.
Set back from the main drag in an almost surreally, but definitely serenely quiet square, the staff welcomed me warmly. From the handy hints and tips in back-woods survival, so generously proffered by the helpful bar-keep, to the breakfast served by Hannah - the nearest embodiment of an angel I have ever seen - to the comfortable QUIET room, my stay at The Commercial was simply fantastic.
Be warned though all ye who like to find something to moan about. THEY DO NOT DO GRUB IN THE EVENING (except some sandwiches) but then, when you are literally 10 seconds from somewhere that does - and more importantly 1 minute from a whole plethora of places that do - does it really matter? NO I say. No.
So - and to many readers' undoubted delight - in summary: The Commercial is central; The Commercial is fun; The Commercial is great value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury accommodation, a wide selection of drinks, the warmest of welcomes, the liveliest of atmospheres in the most exquisite of locations… ‘…A gem hidden in the heart of Chester…’ We have five beautiful double en-suite rooms, including a luxury 'Lord Byron suite', each with a book of poetry written by their namesake for your enjoyment during your stay. We have 3 high quality entertaining bars serving traditional ales, fine wines, superb spirits and fabulous cocktails. We attract a fun-loving clientele from 18-80, especially at weekends when our renowned resident DJs spin their collective mix of disco-dancing tunes. We will always ensure you are made to feel very welcome at the Commercial and we provide something for everyone, every day of the week! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Commercial Bar & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Commercial Bar, Restaurant And Hotel
- The Commercial Bar, Restaurant Hotel Chester