“A Unique Setting For a Unique Hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Commercial Bar & Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Chester is, I have to say, a lovely place. I have been to the race course many times but usually lost so badly that a night out on the town afterwards has been resigned to the realms of fantasy. On this visit my car had blown up rather unspectacularly and so I found myself in need of lodgings for the night, whilst the old bus was patched back together. Thank God, I say, for VW's and their moody catalytic converters, because as a result of my motoring debacle I discovered The Commercial.

Set back from the main drag in an almost surreally, but definitely serenely quiet square, the staff welcomed me warmly. From the handy hints and tips in back-woods survival, so generously proffered by the helpful bar-keep, to the breakfast served by Hannah - the nearest embodiment of an angel I have ever seen - to the comfortable QUIET room, my stay at The Commercial was simply fantastic.

Be warned though all ye who like to find something to moan about. THEY DO NOT DO GRUB IN THE EVENING (except some sandwiches) but then, when you are literally 10 seconds from somewhere that does - and more importantly 1 minute from a whole plethora of places that do - does it really matter? NO I say. No.

So - and to many readers' undoubted delight - in summary: The Commercial is central; The Commercial is fun; The Commercial is great value.

Chin chin

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kramdrazzi
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear guests, thank you for your comments and my apologies for the delay in my reply, it's been a very busy time over the Christmas season.
I wanted to thank you for your kind comments and I have passed your lovely sentiments onto Hannah the angel.
I trust it will not take car trouble for you to stay another time and we look forward to welcoming you again.

There are newer reviews for The Commercial Bar & Hotel

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night, and will definitely stay again! The staff were excellent and couldn't be more helpful ! Also has very comfortable rooms. Only downside - is no carpark attached to the hotel, but there is a free car park just a few minutes walk away.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave H
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hi Dave. Thank you for taking time to write a review on our behalf.
I'm glad you enjoyed your night with us and I will pass your comments onto the staff regarding service.
It is unfortunate that we do not have a car park but as you said there is one just a few minutes away which is free after 3pm everyday.
Best wishes and we look forward to your next stay.
Rebecca

Reviewed November 8, 2013

What a lovely little hotel. Due to a previous negative experience I had in a small hotel like this, I was a bit nervous upon booking. However, I have nothing but good words to say about them. From booking until we departed, everyone was wonderful. I was part of a one-night hen do and it was really special for all of us. The rooms were really well decorated and the Byron Suite where I stayed was amazing. I only wish we were able to stay more than one night! The only complaint I heard from the ladies was that the rooms were a bit dark/not well lit.

We were made aware in advance of the loud disco so that was not a surprise. What was a surprise was that it was the most happening place in Chester! We went to Revolution which was pretty dead that night and thought we'd head back to our hotel to see how the scene there was. It was really hopping- every bar filled and great music/vibe. I didn't personally make it to breakfast the next morning but the ladies who did said the food was great.

I would also recommend the cocktail making class if you are looking for something fun to do with a group. We had a blast and the bartender was great! Perfect venue/hotel for a small hen party like ours. The access doors to upstairs rooms were locked so we felt safe and we were well looked after. I'm already looking at booking to return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Wow, thank you for such a great review and I'm so glad you managed to squeeze in so many activities during your stay in Chester.
The cocktail barman said he had a really good master class with you all so it's nice to hear it was a great start to your night out. As you know, our cocktail bar takes on a real house party feel in the evenings with our DJ's so thank you for coming back and enjoying the night with us - especially when you can just go upstairs to bed and not have to tackle this wintry weather and taxi queue!
Please do not hesitate to contact us again for your next weekend away.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed for the night at commercial. The staff were exceptionally helpfull. The owner Rebecca should be proud of all her staff and what she has achieved. A stunning olde worlde beautiful hotel with 5 star rooms that are beautifully decorated. The bed we had was A1 for comfort. We stayed in wordsworth and I can highly recommend to anybody looking for a comfortable and welcoming break . Breakfast was yummy.

• Stayed: November 2013
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guests, thank you for your lovely review.
I am very proud of all my staff and it's great for me to hear that their service was recognised, I will pass on your comments on to the bar staff and breakfast chef.
The rooms I feel are well presented and all beds carry a Tempur mattress for comfort.
Thank you for choosing The Commercial for your stay and we look forward to accommodating you another time.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We've just come back from a few days' stay at the commercial. We stayed in the Byron suite with our three children. It was fantastic as the children could stay in the lounge, which was a separate room, so we had our own bedroom.

The location was perfect, right in the town centre, and the staff were so welcoming it felt like home. The room and bathroom were very clean, the bath and shower were huge. It's a perfect base for a family.

We stayed from Sunday to Tuesday night - there is a bar under the room which is open on fri and Saturday nights so it would not be good for a family to stay then. But on other days I would recommend the hotel as a great base for a stay in chester.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Naomi, Thank you for taking time out to write your review.
It was lovely to have you and your family stay with us and have the time to experience Chester and the many wonderful attractions we have to offer.
The Byron suite is ideal for families and I trust you andyours will stay again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed for one night on the 12th October with my husband as a 'treat' from work. It had been my birthday earlier in the week so the 'night away' was planned to coincide with this. On arrival the staff could not be more helpful and the very lovely Charlotte took us up to our room. We stayed in the Byron Suite which I can only describe as 'wow'. The bathroom is amazing and the whole suite is stunning. We were meeting family for drinks during the day and into the early evening and then out for a meal later on. On arrival back at the hotel and following a couple of drinks we made our way back to our room and although the noise from the courtyard and early morning party people could be heard it by no way spoilt my sleep (which probably had something to do with the very comfy bed and not the copius amounts of alcohol I had consumed). The following morning we made our way down for breakfast (lovely) and again Charlotte was there to look after us (She is a star although all the staff seemed extremely helpful). The hotel is in a great location and definately worth a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeetayLenor
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review.
I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay for your birthday celebrations and the staff were attentive. I will certainly pass your comments onto Charlotte.
The Byron Suite is a lovely room and I'm happy to know that the facilities were "wow" as you describe.
I trust we will see you again and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've been staying at the Commercial for 3 years now - we descend on Chester every October in a group of about 20 blokes selling tools and everybody wants to be on the short list that can stay here. Sadly there's only five rooms so there's many disapointed faces.

The nightlife at the Commercial is fantastic, from Drum and Bass nights to Comedy - this week there was even an acoustic rendition of Blackstreet's "No Diggity". You probably won't want to leave the hotel, but if you do then you're in luck as it's right in the centre of the action. Town House (Lounge Bar) and Tropiero (Brazillian Restaurant) are only a short walk away.

Down-sides:-
No immediate parking but well worth a short walk.
Up-sides:-
Don't expect to get to sleep before 1pm!

Keep up the good work and see you all next year.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for Byron - Although the Wi-Fi doesn't reach there the creature comforts are brill...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe M

Dear Joe, thank you for taking time to write your review - it's only taken 3 years ha ha!
It was a pleasure as always to accommodate you and your colleagues once again and we look forward to your next visit.