“Best Hotel in Chester”

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Elton, United Kingdom
“Best Hotel in Chester”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Becky and her team make you feel very welcome and that the reason we go there time and time again. Great location, rooms are superb. I have stayed in much more expensive hotels in Chester and not had the same great service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony M
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Tony, thank you for your review, I certainly have a lot to live up to following your header - The best hotel in Chester! We can't please all the people all the time but we do try to make each guests stay as comfortable as possible.
We love having you and Mandy to stay and we look forward to your next visit with us, Cheers! Rebecca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked this hotel for us as a surprise for my 21st birthday. When we arrived the staff were lovely and very helpful, the room was beautiful and very clean. We stayed for 2 nights; the first night was great, not too many people in the bar and the music wasn't too loud. The second night there were alot more people at the bar, however I was poorly and so went to bed early. The music did keep us up but this was because we had the window open. The waitress at breakfast was lovely and gave great advise on what to do during the day along with the breakfast that was to die for. I would throughly recommend this hotel but there are 2 things I would add to the room. Ot needs a full length mirror and a fan as the room was just too hot and the music was too loud with the wondow open. I would defo go back here but would take a fan :)

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Emile and Nathan. Thank you for your review, it's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have taken on board your comments regarding mirrors, we have full length mirrors in 3 of our 5 bedrooms so it sounds like I need to go shopping for some more!
Fans are a great idea now the weather is finally improving, I will certainly look into this.
As your header stated, you'll definitely be back and we look forward to your next visit.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I can't rate this place highly enough. We had the Byron suite and it was stunning. Spotlessly clean and furnished to the highest quality. We had our 4 year old son with us and Becky, Jack, James, Aidy and the rest of the staff could not do enough for him. He had the run of the place and they really rolled the red carpet out for him.
They have a comedy club every Wednesday and live bands on Thursdays with DJ's over the weekend so if you are a member of the purple rinse brigade this might not be the place for you but if you have any life left in you at all, you will love it.
Whether you are in Chester for a party or just for shopping/ sightseeing, this place is a must and could not be anymore central. Five stars from us

Room Tip: Any, they are all lovely
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stuart B
Dear Stuart, thank you for a great review. It was lovely to meet you and the family especially your "gangnam style son". The staff loved entertaining you and in such a short time you became part of the "Commercial family".
We offer different kinds of entertainment as you know and it was lovely to see you all enjoying the comedy and live music. If you're in Chester again please do not hesitate to to stay with us again.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

A superb hidden gem, right in the heart of Chester, but down an old passage way and so away from the noise. Could hardly have been more convenient. The room itself was superb, the staff very obliging and helpful, following the example of mine hostess Rebecca. Definitely a place to visit again.

Room Tip: I was in Keats - the rooms are named after poets - and it was really excellent.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PontypriddAmByth
Dear Sir/Madam. Thank you for taking time to write your review.
We are a hidden gem and love our central location, despite being off the beaten track, convenient is the word. It's great to hear that you would stay with us again and we look forward to hosting your next stay.
Kind regards Rebecca
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just stayed in the commercial this weekend for a girls night out. Couldn't praise it enough, early checkin on arrival fabulously helpful, pleasant staff couldn't do enough to help. Rooms exactly as website pictures... gorgeous ! The most comfortable bed EVER !
Perfectly situated for shopping and lively night out ( not a hotel for a quiet night in) could not find fault with anything even the breakfast was fab. Thank you for a great night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Tara, thank you so much for taking time to write a review for us. Everyone here works so hard to offer a friendly atmosphere and ensure that our guests have a good time it's lovely to read you had a "fantastic" time. I'm sure we will see you again and look forward to your next visit.
Yorkshire
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

In a way i feel a little bad in writing this but from the reviews etc we had very high expectations of here . we even cancelled carden park to come here . on arrivel we waited 10 mins for someone to appear to take us to our room . First impressions were a little negative , then we saw the bathroom which was its best feature . The room is identical to one we stay at in blackpool for £40 per night b&b not £79 room only . unpacked and went for a drink in the bar £6.00 for 2 half a lagers ? i work in a bar part time and our most expensive lager peroni is only £1.63 per half . We had to hand our key in each time we left which was a pain but understand why . Each time we returned we had to search the building for someone so we could get our key . After showering in the not so clean shower (pictures added) i couldnt find a hairdryer ? you had to ask at the bar ? didnt fancy walking down in my towel so decided to ring down . No phone ? The manual says to dial 0 ? so i decided to watch tv while my hair dried , unfortunately no bbc channels so no Eastenders (sad me ! lol ) . The place is very central but not worth its money . we should have stayed in the usual carden or even the abode for the same money . The final let down was when we were leaving and i checked under the bed . thinking it was my husbands wallet ? it was a vermin repellant killer thing .
Sorry we built our hopes up far too high.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank YorkshireKebab
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer, may I start with thanking you for such a detailed observation of The Commercial.
I think in any business good reviews give you a boost and let you know that what you have to offer is working, on the other hand a review like your's gives me the chance to re-look at certain aspects and make improvements that have obviously been over looked.
If you would be so kind as to contact me directly I would like the opportunity to speak to you in relation to a couple of points, e.g when you stayed and in which room.
Following your comments last week I have made a list of improvements that need immediate attention, some of which have already been rectified.
In answer to a couple of points:-
Our room rate varies from £59.00 to £129.00, we are a city centre hotel and price check daily with other hotels in the vicinity to be competitive.
2 half's of our premium lager is £4.40. The tills are computerised so price changes cannot be made by anyone apart from me.
With regards to the hair dryers we have always offered this facility to guests along with irons and ironing boards. I do not want to clutter the rooms with additional items that may not be needed, hence these being on request.
The building is 3 floors and in the high winds we have recently experienced the TV aerial was blown out of position on the roof. It took a couple of days to reposition it and re-tune all the televisions, unfortunately this was during your stay and I can only apologise for any in inconvenience caused.
The building is over 200 years old and grade 2 listed. The free standing radiator is in every room to give additional heating during the winter months as there is only one radiator in each room, something I cannot change.
Finally, the pest control box is part of our health & safety initiative in conjuration with Government directives. Apart from one spider last winter we have never found any other insects in the boxes, to me this shows our rooms are clean.I trust that your points have been addressed in a satisfactory manner and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Kind regards
Rebecca
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After a great day at Chester races, a few of us headed here and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. I've noticed someone said the prices were a rip off - not so. The prices for drinks hadn't changed from when I have been here on many other occasions. The staff were friendly and attentive as always. Great atmosphere. Lovely outside space to enjoy the sunshine. Would highly recommend a visit here. thanks to all the staff. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Rachael, thank you for taking time to write your review. As you mentioned, we can't please all the people all of the time so thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards Rebecca