“Friendly and Flexible”

The Commercial Bar & Hotel
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Friendly service, flexible, accommodating and laid back staff, and the best Kir Royales in Cheshire. A trendy hotspot for locals with its music nicely blending in with literary references in for the rooms; the music didn't spoil my sleep and the bed and bathrooms made it joyous...will visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Jocelyn, Thank you for your review. It was lovely to hear that you found the staff so accommodating, they are a great team and really enjoy their work. We pride ourselves on the cocktails we serve and have a dedicated cocktail bar on the first floor where we hold our cocktail classes.
Like yourself we have a lot of people stay over even though they live quite close to Chester, it sometimes works out cheaper than getting a taxi home! If you fancy another night in Chester do not hesitate to contact us again to check availability.
Best wishes Rebecca

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Having been a frequent visitor to the historic City of Chester ,on business and pleasure . I booked a weekend stay at The Commercial Inn through Late rooms .Having read the reviews and advice prior to booking I was looking forward to the short stay ! I wasn't left disappointed .
Firstly the welcome from the Manageress ,Rebecca was so warming and left me feeling like I'd known her for ages !!
Her local knowledge and advice was so valuable from giving tips on the cheapest parking spots to where to find the best curry house !! As for the staff , they were all courteous and trained well in the fields of hospitality . My room was called " Wordsworth " and as I unpacked and glanced through the curtains into the courtyard of ancient sandstone buildings it actually felt like I had been transported into a time of cobble stones and cart horses clattering through the streets of Chester .
The room was surprisingly lovely ,the bed spacious and well made . The bathroom was a pure delight after spending a full day shopping those body jets in the walk in shower certainly reach the parts that need waking up ! Great power shower .
Thanks to Rebecca's advice I found an amazing Indian in City Road and after ended up walking back to the Commercial for a night cap . The bar is renown for good beer and live music till 2-3am and it was such a great atmosphere I had such a good night .
I asked for an alarm call in the morning as I was leaving early and this wasn't a problem even at 6:30 am .
Cannot fault this establishment and will hope to return again in the summer ,thanks x

Room Tip: Have "one for the road " a few times then the noise pales into insignificance
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eddy C

Dear Eddy, thank you for writing such a lovely detailed review. It was so nice of you to take time to comment on all the aspects of The Commercial. As a frequent visitor to Chester please do not hesitate to contact us directly to check availability for your next trip.
Kind regards Rebecca

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Found this little gem through booking.com and secured a very good rate. I arrived late on Sunday night and was very warmly welcomed by Rebecca who showed me to my room and explained a little about the area and local restaurants (as the hotel no longer provides meals). There was music downstairs but this was certainly not intrusive and finished at 11pm promptly. The room was very comfortable and spacious and the power shower (with body jets) was possibly one of the best I've experienced in a hotel. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, I had to cut short my 5 night stay which was a real shame as Rebecca has a really caring attitude and gives the impression that she would go that extra mile to make her customers stay as pleasant as possible. I would certainly recommend this hotel for the excellent customer service and would definiately stay again if I return to the area.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Paul, thank you very much for taking time to write such a lovely review. Although your stay was cut short it looks like we made a good impression!
The Commercial has only 5 rooms so it is very easy for myself and the staff to give the personal service to all our guest and it's great to hear that it's appreciated.
I must just mention the music on Sunday night - this was a one off event for local students as part of their course work. We offer free room hire for charity events etc.
If you and the family are ever in Chester (the Zoo is a great day out) we would be happy to accommodate you.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Booked for a surpise for my Hubby as he has a extremely stressful job. I could not get into our usual hotel unfortunatly, so after reading reviews and the fact that it was availiable I booked. Staff on the ball, room and bathroom clean and of a good standard, breakfeast Ok,however there was no fruit juice or fruit in sight....Could not get a internet connection even after asking twice, very frustrating. The DJs music went on to about 3.00 am then we heard drunks shouting outside until the early hours! Did try to cancel when I was informed that this was the case with the DJ but it was too late. Came home with a very poor nights sleep! Wouldn't go again even if it was free!

Room Tip: Quiet room if there are any? Unless you want to be up most off the night!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jefhurry
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Mrs Hurry (Edwards) Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Following your comments I looked into your initial reservation and I am surprised at your remarks regarding the DJ as you reserved through Laterooms. Before you even click to book on their site there is a special note to inform people about DJ's on a Friday & Saturday night. I know this has been missed by people previously hence Angela contacting all guests who chose to stay at the weekend to ensure this is clear.
Laterooms have a 7 day cancellation policy that you agree to directly with them.
I am sorry to hear that you then heard people shouting after we were closed but our hotel is situated in the City centre and we are not the only bar open until the early hours.
We try our best to accommodate all our guests needs and I know Angela moved other guests around to ensure you had the quietest room, unfortunately this has not alleviated the problems that you experienced.
Kind regards

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Excellent hotel the room was lovely and brilliant! Can hear music from bar downstairs on Friday, but okay if you already drinking but Mon-Thursday wud be very lovely to stay! The decor of the room is lovely and the bathroom is smart!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your kind review. It's so nice to hear that you had a good time with us and the room was to your liking. We are party hotel at the weekend so thank you for joining in, maybe we will see you during the week next time?
Best wishes

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I are Chester residents and my wife had a very rare Saturday morning off so we decided to make sure we did something together on "our" Friday night. Searching the web for our city I stumbled upon The Commercial doing cocktail masterclasses and thought we'd give it a go. Now these are realy designed for large groups, they said normally minimum of 8 but, what customer service - they listened to what I have said above, said they'd see what the could do and give me a ring back to let me know. Not only did they ring back (unusual enough to get that common courtesy these days) but said that they would be delighted to host just the two of us. Private class in a private bar - and a fantastic guy James taking our master class. He was really engaging, very, very knowledgeable and really good fun. We had a fantastic time, they can't have made much money out of us but still went the extra mile to host the class for us, customer service you rarely see but throughout this hotel it seems to be the way - we visited the other public bars as well. The following night James was telling us he was going to have a hen party in for a masterclass and I bet that they will have a great time! It's a great private bar, with a great atmosphere, and as my wife says (grudgingly correctly) a very handsome bar tender full of character.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Chester Pete, thank you so much for such an wonderful review on our Master Class. I've sent a copy of it to James and expressed my pride in his outstanding service.
I have received nothing but good reviews for the classes, from 2 people like yourselves to the big groups - he had 20 at the hen party you mentioned! It works and James's knowledge, character and confidence certainly shines through.
If you have a special occasion in the future that you would like to celebrate, bring some friends along and James would be more than happy to host you once again.
Kind regards Rebecca

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My 13 friends and I had an amazing hen do party starting by a Cocktail class at the Commercial. The 2 bartenders was really professional and everything turned out very well. The cocktails was good and all the explanation was easy to follow. The price for the class was correct and the service met our expectations. We had a room only for us which it helped us to set up a nice and pleasant atmosphere just for us. If you need to organise an enjoyable night out, do not hesitate to contact them, the staff are really kind and respond to email and calls very quickly.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Alice, thank you for taking time to write such a lovely review, I will pass your comments onto Kyle and Aide who took the class. Our classes are going really well and with reviews like yours we know we're doing it right. I hope to see you again soon, kind regards Rebecca