“Quality cuisine y'all”

Hickory's Smokehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Hickory's Smokehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 554 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Nearest bus stop 300 yards
Description: Hickory’s Smokehouse is Chester’s authentic American BBQ. Here you can enjoy a traditional style of cooking that has its roots in the US, but that we think deserves to be just as popular over here. Our menu offers two styles of BBQ. The southern-style ‘Smoker’ BBQ uses slow, wood-fired cooking in our specially imported American smoker oven. The northern-style ‘Yankee’ BBQ is cooked over sizzling hot coals. Both styles create unbelievably tender, delicious meat and fish.
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Quality cuisine y'all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I had heard a lot about this place, so as a night away from the kids was imminent, I booked well in advance to guarantee a table.

When we arrived, we were cheerfully greeted and pointed in the direction of the bar and informed that we would be called when our table was ready at 7. At 7.20, we asked if our table was ready, but the very apologetic waitress informed us that they were a bit behind. At 7.50, the manager again apologised for the late running and offered us some free drinks. We politely declined, as we'd already had a few at the bar and didn't want to ruin a well anticipated dining experience.

When we were called to our table at 8, we ordered the jumbo battered shrimps and giant pretzel, which were almost main meals in their own right.

For main, we ordered the Smokehouse Platter. I can quite honestly say that I couldn't fault any of it. The pulled pork melted in the mouth, and the variety of herbs and spices adorning the perfectly tender meat selections were to die for. The portions were huge and could quite easily fed another couple.

When we finished, the manager told us that the starters were on the house due to our late seating, which was a pleasant surprise.

You know - so what that we were seated late. Hickory's Smokehouse has a real laid-back vibe, and it was quite pleasant to be sat at the bar. If you want to go to a stuffy posh restaurant, then there are plenty of other establishments to choose from in Chester.

2 Thank Paul H

Douglas, United Kingdom
“Small portion.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

After visiting a few BBQ in the USA over the years I was looking forward to visiting this place. I was looking forward to what the menu described as the "taste of US barbecue". Unfortunately a taste was all I got. There couldn't have been more than 4oz of meat in the mess tin they pride themselves on serving some of there meal in. As there was so little of the meat I can't really describe it taste etc.
Those who had the burger seemed to get better value for money.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“fantastic evening!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

we visited hickorys with high expections but never imagined they'd be met, the staff were excellent as was the food, you have to try this!!!

1 Thank davidoff86
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I made a visit to this fantastic little restaurant with my partner last month. We were amazed at the service we received. Food was of very high quality. We were told we would need to wait around 40 minutes for a table and could wait in the bar or that if we were happy enough to do so we could sit at the chefs table. We took our position at the chefs table and the waitress put water and popcorn In front of us for while we were ordering which was a very nice touch. Food was fantastic, I ordered a bit too much though as portions were a lot larger than expected! Will be visiting again soon.

1 Thank Michellesummers1972
“Over talked about typical American food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I went to hickorys a couple of months back after hearing about it saying it's really nice by the river , big American food, large portions etc... I enjoyed it the first time, I had a MASSIVE (half) rack of ribs, chips , coleslaw. I enjoyed it and was full. The second time I went back , I realised that it is just an over talked about typical American diner. I think the fact that the portions are big distracts from the fact that the good actually isn't that nice. The food bland and under seasoned and over compensated with sharp BBQ sauce. It's a great place to take kids as they would love to feast on this style of good, and it's a great place to come if you like your belly filling and not much of a 'real foodie' ...it's a typical average joe BIG MANs Restaraunt. It's a bit overpriced but I suppose you have bigger portions so you get what you pay for in size but I wouldn't say satisfaction. I left feeling very full and wishing I had gone to pizza express for a great tasty pizza instead of a huge overpriced platter of stodge. I am a big meat lover but this was not for me. Good beer though!!