“Slightly disappointing”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Nearest bus stop 300 yards
Description: Located on the bank of the river Dee at a spot known locally as the Groves, in the the heart of the historic city of Chester. We are fanatical about flames; silly about smokers and utterly obsessed with the smells, tastes and traditions of the Deep South. Our smokin' hot menu is available all day every day, from smokehouse classics including ribs, Texas style beef brisket, to steak and burgers. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week and a specially designed kids menu that includes ‘grown-up’ tastes and some fun healthy options, the entire family can experience the flavours of the deep South.
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stumbled across Hickorys whilst walking along the river. Booked a table 24 hours in advance and very excited at the prospect of this American diner. Table booked for 8.15pm, seated at 8.45pm. The customers using the table before us were not asked to vacate by a certain time - hence the delay. We were given complimentary drinks for the inconvenience. Food arrived approx. 9.30pm as the place was heaving and so very loud, you had to shout across the table to be heard. We were in a booth with a flat screen tv - you could change channels but you couldn't hear it even if you had wanted. The food was good quality - typical American but is basic. If you order a steak you get steak and onion rinks - chips/salad is extra and the extras are limited in terms of choice. No mushrooms for example.

The staff were very pleasant and work hard and whilst we did get the complimentary drinks, the fact that we were kept waiting, couldn't hear our friends talk to us across the table, we were slightly disappointed. You can eat in the restaurant rather than the bar area (even though you get a booth), that I am sure would most certainly be quieter.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,852)

Reviewed March 15, 2011

I was really disappointed with my baby back ribs - they were absolutely full of what looked like connective tissue white tubes and frankly disgusting. I was completed turned off eating them, even my husband couldn't stomach them. Our other main meal arrived in a tin cooking pan which was supposed to be authentic but just seemed really gimmicky and rather primitive. The chips were typical frozen chips and a bowl of unexciting coleslaw. The two childrens meals were not much better. Won't be rushing back here again.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

booked table for my boyfriends birthday ,atmosphere was great .very friendly and helpful staff. menu was varied somthing for everyone ,great ribs and fries ,the pulled pork was to die for. and the sticky toffee pudding just delicious .we had such a great time on friday night, we went sunday night as well .

Reviewed March 13, 2011

We went on a Monday night when they have a special on as they do most nights. It was a whole rack of ribs, 6 chicken wings coleslaw and fries for £10. It was delicious and good value. On each table you have a kitchen roll and wet wipes which in essential when eating ribs. The service was good and the atmosphere was great as there were plenty of people in the for a Monday night.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

For a place that touts itself on being a Smokehouse, I did really expect more from the food. I will say that I am a bit of a connoisseur of smoking and barbecuing myself, and make a mean smoked rack of ribs which has had some rave reviews during barbecues.

So when I went and ordered some dry rub baby back ribs, I did expect amazing, juicy, soft but a bit of bite, meaty flavours but ended up getting ribs that were dryer than the deep fried ones served at the chinese takeaway. the 'dry' rub shouldn't mean that the meat is dry, which it was. Potentially because I dined at 9pm it had been overcooked by a good two hours.

On the other hand, I also had the beef brisket (I was hungry!), and that was beautiful - flavoursome and moist. Never had smoked beef brisket - the only thing I can compare it to is Jerky tasting but very nice and moist. Recommend this if anyone goes.

All my food came on a nice big slab since I told them to bring everything at once. Since I effectively ordered 2 mains (only had half a rack of ribs though which is starter sized) they let me swap sides so I had fries (really good - crunchy but still taste the potato), coleslaw (good, not overly creamy), onion rings (way too oily - oil not hot enough) and corn on the cob (decent but corn's not in season so can't get good stuff).

Service was really good. Acknowledged that i was dining alone and put me in a booth in the bar, which was a really good setup - really felt like you were in some bar and grill in the US of A. Staff were attentive and friendly, although could probably have made more of a personal connection and when I said about the ribs being dry could have checked with the kitchen.

Can you tell I'm a fussy diner? But to give credit where it's worth, I'd still go back - but just be quite selective with what I order. Overall good, but for a place tha tsells itself as a 'smokehouse' I'd expect more from ribs, which should be every smoker's signature item!