“Excellent quality with hints of disappointment!”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Chester
Ranked #134 of 554 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: In the stylish surroundings of the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Chester, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse Bar and Grill is the perfect venue for any occasion, with a lively atmosphere, exquisite food and delicious cocktails for you to enjoy. As the first British Chef to be awarded 3 Michelin Stars and the youngest Chef in the world to receive them, Marco Pierre White is a name synonymous with a great dining experience. With the ability to cater for private parties of up to 100 people, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse Bar and Grill in Chester serves everything you would expect to see on a typical steakhouse menu, prepared with the superior quality that Marco Pierre White is renowned for. Each dish is prepared by a dedicated and highly skilled kitchen team, working with the finest and carefully selected ingredients to create simple yet succulent cuisine. Alongside the finest quality locally sourced steaks, the menu features Grilled and Roast Meats, Fish Mainboards and classic English puddings. Furthermore, the wine and champagne lists have been specially sourced to harmonise with the menu. Choose from a selection of good house wines and champagnes, or an enviable collection of reserves for those wanting to splash out.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality with hints of disappointment!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

After a day at the spa at the hotel we dined here to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. The starters, steaks and the wine were of excellent quality and thoroughly enjoyed, unfortunately though after this there were elements of disappointment. The dessert menu was poor, so we decided to go for the sharing platter, however we were told that this was unavailable due to not having three of the items available! We then decided to go for the sticky toffee pudding, which was the best option on the menu followed by the cheese board. The sticky toffee pudding was nice with plenty of sauce but not enough ice cream, the quality of the cheeses were also nice but only came with one type of cracker and with only three cheeses, there were four types advertised on the menu.
We were also told when we got there that because we were dining before 6:45 there was a 20% discount, however when the bill arrived this discount wasn't applied, so I had to speak to the waitress about it, who in all fairness changed the bill.
It was a shame that we encountered these disappointments after such a wonderful start to the meal, if we hadn't I would have not hesitated to grade our visit as excellent.

• Visited June 2014
Oakbase, Abbie - Senior Reservationist at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Chester, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking your time to review your restaurant experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food here at Marco Pierre White. However I am sorry to read that the dessert menu was not to your standard.

In regards to the 20% discount all our staff have been made aware of this promotion and the offer should have been removed from the bill before hand so for this I would personally like to apologise.

We hope to see you again some time in the near future

Abbie

Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very very disappointed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was taken here by my partner and family for my surprise birthday meal. On a previous visit we were told how Marco breads his own cattle and how superior the quality of the steak was, so hearing this we all decided to go for steak. Well disappointed is the word I would use. The steaks were very grisly and cold. The chips were also cold and looked like they had been fried over and over again. Our bill came to over £400 which was astronomical for what was given to us. Being honest it put a massive downer on my birthday and it has put me off visiting a Marco Pierre White restaurant in the future which is a shame.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jordan O
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking your time to review your restaurant experience on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed to read that the quality of meat you received on the evening was not to our normal high standard.

I have passed on your comments to our Head chef who will address this issue further with our supplier.

We hope this would not stop you from returning to our restaurant, and we do hope to see you again some time in the future

Abbie
Chester, United Kingdom
“Sorry, disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I were given a £50 voucher for Christmas to enjoy a meal at the Marco Pierre Steakhouse at the Doubletree at Hilton Chester. We decided to go for my husbands birthday. On booking a week or so earlier, I was asked if it was a celebration meal and when I said it was for my husbands birthday, was told there would be something special for him if we had a sweet (not sure what was actually said, but I was given the impression that the birthday would be marked in some way).
On arrival we were shown to a lovely table by the window (I sat with my back to MPW as he is not my cup of tea) and we ordered drinks, glass of house red and a whisky and ginger.
My husband decided to have a MPW mixed grill, and I decided on ribeye steak with lemon merangue mess for sweet (off the two courses for £20 + addititional £7 for the steak menu) husband also requested the same sweet.
My steak was cooked beautifully, but the rest of the meal was poor, tomato was cold, 3 times fried chips were cold and limp and the sauce was very runny.
Husband was served his meal on a wooden board, and could not pour his sauce onto the meal as it would have run all over the table, so had to dip his fork into the sauce boat. His lamb was not very pleasent not unless you enjoy fat.
As for the sweet, it was just like eating a bowl of sugar and we could not finish it.
The bill came to just shy of £80 and unfortunately, I asked for the 10% service charge to be deducted as I am sure MPW would not have let this food leave the kitchen had he been there.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank stumpy17

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the steak, but I am disappointed to read that you felt the rest of the food was not to our normal standard.

I have passed on your comments to our head chef, who will address these issues with our kitchen team and suppliers to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Okay, not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Underwhelmed was the general opinion.
Crab cakes were nice, prawn cocktail okay and baked Camembert was okay.
Mixed grill was very generous and two males couldn't finish it. The liver and the black pudding went down well. Ribeye was lovely and did come out medium-rare as requested, though the Marmite butter could have been stronger. Pork belly was okay.
The sharing plate dessert sounded fab but wasn't available. Eton mess was good and very generous.
Total bill for 4 starters, 4 mains, 2 puds, 2 coffees and 3 glasses of wine was £217.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sam B

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed some aspects of your evening.

However I am disappointed to see that our Marmite butter sauce was not to your standard and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that our sharing platter dessert was not available for you on this evening.

I have passed on your comments over to the relevant people who will look into these issues further.

wales
“Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We treated ourselves in recent stay at Chester Doubletree. Food, service and wine was excellent. Very friendly staff. Would recommend T bone...

Visited May 2014
Oakbase, Abbie - Senior Reservationist at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Chester, responded to this review, June 3, 2014

I am very happy to read that you had such a great experience here at Marco Pierre white Chester & the food and service was to our Normal high standards.

We hope you visit us again some time in the near future. In the mean time, why not like our Facebook and twitter page for all our latest offers and promotions.

Abbie Critchley