“Really disappointed”

Ranked #159 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: In the stylish surroundings of the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Chester, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse Bar and Grill is the perfect venue for any occasion, with a lively atmosphere, exquisite food and delicious cocktails for you to enjoy. As the first British Chef to be awarded 3 Michelin Stars and the youngest Chef in the world to receive them, Marco Pierre White is a name synonymous with a great dining experience. With the ability to cater for private parties of up to 100 people, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse Bar and Grill in Chester serves everything you would expect to see on a typical steakhouse menu, prepared with the superior quality that Marco Pierre White is renowned for. Each dish is prepared by a dedicated and highly skilled kitchen team, working with the finest and carefully selected ingredients to create simple yet succulent cuisine. Alongside the finest quality locally sourced steaks, the menu features Grilled and Roast Meats, Fish Mainboards and classic English puddings. Furthermore, the wine and champagne lists have been specially sourced to harmonise with the menu. Choose from a selection of good house wines and champagnes, or an enviable collection of reserves for those wanting to splash out.
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had booked this as a special anniversary treat with good friends. Staff were pleasant enough, but not overly helpful or friendly. Starters were ok but pretty average. My husband's steak was just average too. I had the beef pie, which was quite dry. My dessert, on the other hand was divine! I had the toffee, banana and meringue mess. But overall I have to say it did not live up to our expectations. I certainly don't think MPW himself would have been happy with the meal. Very expensive for a mediocre meal. Maybe I'm just comparing it to the meal we had the night before in Upstairs at the Grill, which was fantastic.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at the Doubletree on Saturday 17th November 2012, and booked the Marco Pierre White Restaurant as a treat for my husbands's 40th Birthday.
We had 6 in our party, and had a table booked for 7.30pm. The room was very dimly lit, therefore making reading the menu a bit difficult. Orders for food and drinks were taken swiftly.
Starters arrived and I have to say that these were fine, however when the main meals arrived, 2 were brought to the table, then it took several minutes for the other 4 dishes to arrive. After this we had another wait for the side orders to arrive, meaning our main courses had gone cold.
When this was mentioned to the waiter, we were advised that they only had so many staff and could only bring out so much food at a time. Whilst this comment is appreciated, unfortunately the time delay meant our meals had cooled somewhat, and even when the side dishes did arrive, we had to return them to the kitchen as they were cold.
Not great service from what is supposed to be a high quality restaurant. Two of our party had ordered Chateaubriand with a Bearnaise sauce. Unfortunately, the sauce was stone cold, we did ask the waiter to rectify this, only for him to return with the sauce, advising us that the chef has said it should be cold and promptly left it on the table.
At the end of the day, we are the paying customer, and whether the chef thinks the sauce should be cold isn't really relevant, if we want it hot, then that is what we should get.
All in all a very costly evening for a mediocre meal.

1  Thank KCBUILD
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went here for our 2 year anniversary as what we thought would be a special occasion however we found it anything but this. The service was extremely poor. The blonde waitress that served us was pushing every extra cost that she could (bottled water - more expensive wines - more side dishes etc-) and wouldn’t back down. She gave the impression I was cheap for not taking this. To us this ruined the night to begin with. We took the set meal. The starters were average at best and a little old fashioned - the crayfish cocktail and the ham hock terrine. The steak main we both had was okay but the sauce was a bit gravyish and didn't contain peppercorns as advertised! We felt very formal and there was lack of atmosphere. We felt this was overpriced for what we got and know you can experience a more special night for a lot less cost in Chester. If I was Marco Pierre White I'd be embarrassed to put my name to this restaurant. I know this is only our experience but we were just disappointed with every aspect we encountered!

1  Thank JTipps
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went to the restaurant as a group of ten females, having spent the day in the hotel spa. We ate from the menu giving three courses for £21.50. Great value considering the prices of the normal menu. We were all very happy with the food. We were put in the "private dining room" which in reality was little more than a draughty corridor with drapes. I assume this was so we didn't disturb the more discerning diner if we were a little noisy (which we weren't!).
Alcohol very expensive as you would expect - over £8 for a large glass of wine.
Service good without being exceptional.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Visited with a friend as a special treat. Staff were pleasant but service was very slow. I was seated in an area which had a cold draught so had to ask to move. Food was ok but not worth the price (the wine @ £20 a bottle was horrible). A few other people were complaining which made us feel even more uncomfortable. Would not recommend.

1  Thank Ser2701