“Nightmare”
Review of The Ormonde

The Ormonde
Ranked #26 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Oh my God-filthy stinking room the bathroom was untrue dirt mould dripping down all over, no toilet flush handle, tiles with thick blackouts plug holes thick of hair rust tissue paper greese thick clogging gunk, a health hazard , window same condition a site for sore eyes Never ever again

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Connieglassford

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Ormonde on a number of occasions, namely to attend social/University events in Chester and to avoid having to rush back for a train home. On this occasion I am afraid to say that this will be the LAST time I will be visiting the Ormonde.

I had booked and paid prior to arrival and was told reception was open at 4pm - On the day I telephoned The Bunkroom (Hostel a few doors down who sometimes check guests in during hours) to ask if I could leave my luggage, suit etc whilst I did some shopping in town to which the answer was yes (depending on any staff on site).

When passing the Ormonde on the day of arrival (1:45pm) one of the Bunkroom staff was in the lobby and offered to Check me in so that I could deposit my luggage and have the key, I was initially given ROOM 1). When I entered the room, I was met with NUMEROUS dead flies all over the two beds, and also over the bathroom floor. I then put my luggage on the floor and went to speak to the girl who checked me in, and mentioned that it would be best to speak to reception at 4pm.

On my return just after 4pm, I then checked the room before going to reception to report the problem. The receptionist was not particularly happy that I had "attempted" to check in earlier than she had stated (Which I duly corrected her as the Girl from the neighbouring hostel OFFERED to check me in, I did not ask to be checked in earlier),

On checking the room she was in a state of disbelief that something like this had happened and apologised, (She was not able to explain why this had happened, but put it jokingly as being "Friday the 13th) - And therefore checked me in to another room at the end of the upstairs corridor (ROOM 12).

On inspecting this particular room it was a lot better, consisting of a Wardrobe, TV, Shelf and "Ensuite Shower and Toilet" (There are no extras i.e soap (Apart from Handwash), shampoo, shower gel etc so bring your own). There wasnt a bedside table in the room and I think it would be useful to have this so that I can put my phone and glasses next to me in case of emergency. I then opened the window slightly so I could air the room a little before I returned.

On returning from my function, I noticed that the room was particularly hot/humid and felt the radiator was very hot (10:55pm). From Midnight onwards I had particular difficulty getting to sleep due to a number of flies buzzing round the bedside lamp, and also the room was unhelpfully hot so I had no choice but to close the window and try and get some sleep (Probably less than TWO hours at best)

After finally giving up on sleep I then went to the shower and tried to turn it on, and there was NO indication that the pull cord by the door was to be used for the shower (No sign or anything to say this, and naturally as this was near to the extractor fan I assumed that this was for the air conditioning unit to prevent steam build up).

Having packed and went to reception at 7am - I then reported my problems to the SAME receptionist who then would not give me the managers contact details and said she would arrange for the manager to call me instead. Having wanted to resolve this sooner rather than later I then called the Guesthouse back and the receptionist said quite sharply that "there was nothing wrong with the room and that she had checked another guest in, and she said that "She had looked after me during my stay".

I then received a call from the Manager who said quite sharply "What is the problem?" and when reiterating what issues I had he then began explaining things in a very curt and sarcastic tone, and even accused me of being RUDE to the receptionist when I had reported the faults and for complaining about trivial matters!!. Realising I wasnt getting anywhere I just said thank you and hung up.

Thanks to the Ormonde, I have spent the day catching up on my sleep instead of celebrating my birthday until later this evening.

In short I WILL NOT be visiting the Ormonde again nor would I recommend it any longer. I would strongly recommend you visit the "Bunkroom" if you are looking for hostel accommodation, or visit one of the fine guesthouses on City Road or in the Neighbouring village of Hoole, as I will certainly be doing so next time.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the room before you use it - Shower works by PULL CORD opposite the doors (Was n...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank andybell123
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Dont stay here, whatever you do. ! DONT DONT . The entrance is up the fire escape. wood chipped walls, all bed linnen different from each other, three different styled pillow cases, the mattress was U shaped. DSS guys smelling of alcohol and cigarette butts hanging in the foyer. parking impossibel to find. cold rooms.
looks like that is where one would take a lady for a one night stand and leave the bin full of protection jackets.

It says Vintage meaning. its a basic crap horribel disgusting hotel. i would only pay 10 pounds if i really needed a bed.

Room Tip: Good tip- Dont stay here
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank sheriffatman
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I just want to say I write a lot of reviews and have never had to write one that is near enough all negative, but I have no choice. We were staying here just to visit my daughter overnight who is at university in chester so did not want a lot just a base. From the outside it looks as it does on web site once inside a whole different story. Our room was the furthest away on the first floor,which wasn't a problem except no lights in the hallway and a couple of steps you couldn't see, very dangerous. The room, once we could unlock the door had an old scruffy bed ,no wardrobe or drawers so clothes stay in case a radiator just about fixed to the wall, which I had to go down and ask receptionist to turn on.Bathroom had no toilet roll and one small towel for both of us. The smell throughout was awful and would not want to walk on carpet barefoot.We were probably only in hotel 2 hours and decided to leave and drive the 3 and a half hours home. A shame as never got to see my daughter the next day but me and my partner were both itching and scratching all the way home. We paid £40 for the room so did not expect much but this place was really just for workman or people who were being put up whilst waiting to be accommodated by the council not a leisure break and I can assure you I am not fussy at all. Just unfortunate we hadn't read reviews on here as all bad ones are spot on. You can get a lot nicer for same price so please don't be tempted. Only one bit of praise lady who checked us in was nice but soon disappeared.

Room Tip: Do not go here at all
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chabja1510
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was booked for Chester Races......I have to say I have never ever in my life stayed anywhere as bad as this. Our twin bedroom - had nothing that matched - the curtain rail was falling off, the curtains would not draw, all in all - absolutely disgusting and filthy. The water in the shower was pouring out the back where the electrics were making it unsafe to use and the small bathroom was so filthy it made me feel sick to enter. Whilst the gentleman that run the b and b was really nice and polite its clear standards are so low, the place needs shutting down.

Room Tip: There are no rooms that would be worth recommending...they are all just as bad.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 981tullia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

2 nights with the girls lots of laughs, drinking and shopping. hotel close to the train station and a 10 minute walk into town, hotel could do with a refurb a bit old fashioned, beds were very squeaky and old didnt get much sleep. didnt like how you had to make a cup of tea in the reception area and take it upstairs to your room. breakfast was nice but no choice and bathroom was clean with a good shower overall had a fab weekend the staff were all very helpful and friendly

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I must have been an idiot not to read these reviews before booking but I've never experienced such a vile and disgusting place and feel bad as I booked this for my friends and I and they had to suffer this horrendous experience too :-(

The location is about all it had got going for it and I think is why it's still open. Apparently it's fully booked too. Don't expect to get any sleep, we were woken up with folk trying to get in our room and what sounded like a door being smashed in somewhere within the place. The walls are so thin we could hear all sorts!!

Trying not to itch now on my way home..going to have a long soak in the bath too as I feel grubby and the shower was just disgusting. My partner wouldn't take his shoes off and walk on the carpet it was that bad :-(

• Stayed: August 2013