“Very plush!”
Review of ABode Chester

ABode Chester
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Staff were really friendly. I splurged on the "Fabulous Suite" expensive, but stunning suite with an amazing bathroom/shower room. All snacks in the suite were complimentary as were the soft drinks. The large terrace had lovely views over the town and the racecourse. The bed was one of the best I've slept in anywhere. Abode has it's own underground secure car park. The town is a very short walk...less than 5 mins. I had room service...chilli & rice (not great) and a club sandwich (very nice).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank adam1966
AbodeChester, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Adma1966

Thank you for your feedback, I look forward to welcome you at ABode again soon for another Fabulous stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will organise your booking for you.

Yours Sincerely

Christophe
gmchester@abodehotels.co.uk

There are newer reviews for ABode Chester

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed for 1 night over a weekend in a desirable room, room only.
Positives:
1. Parking easy and secure with lift straight to hotel. £10 per night which I think is cheap compared to other hotels I've stayed in (charge £15-£20). I had phonedto reserve a place just in case but on Saturday morning there was plenty of room there. You pass hotel and you'll see parking sign immediately to the left - follow signs and buzz intercom and the shutters will open.
2. Check-in was smooth and staff were friendly at desk. You use your card to access the lift (security) but always remember to have it out!
3. Room was spacious and clean with great amenities; tea and coffee, iron and board, hairdryer (a decent one that isn't permanently plugged-in in the bathroom), TV, lovely bath/shower items (hand cream, shower gel with lovely smell!) - shower wash is also a shampoo so no conditioner.
Our room over looked the courtyard which did back on to some offices so curtains were closed most of the time (even though I didn't see anyone there on a Sat, still felt a bit too close to be in full view), so maybe request a room with a view?
4. Had cocktails in the bar area at the top floor which has great views of racecourse and countryside as well as nice cocktails on the ground floor bar. Again, friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere

Negatives:
Decided to have breakfast in hotel the next morning and pay the £11.95 (again, this is much dearer in other hotels I've stayed in such as Hilton that charge £20). Buffet and cooked options. Buffet included pastries (no butter there) and cereals but they were placed on the bar area, which was ok but felt a bit canteen-ish? No plates available so had to walk back to table for side plate. No big deal, just small gripes really as the breakfast was a let down for me compared to the rest of the stay. Ordered tea which came no problem but no tea spoons so had to ask. Ordered toast and 2 full English and 2 vegetarian breakfasts. Waited 15minutes for them to come by which time toast was very cold. Full English was fine no issues but the veggie was very disappointing; no sausage as stated in menu. When questioned the response I got was "You should've been told there's no sausage left". No apology and no offer of anything else. I ordered toast as I only had an egg, some beans, half a mushroom and a tomato on my plate....oh and some spinach and a new potato cut into four!?! Toast arrived when I'd finished eating and was cold anyway. I rarely complain in hotels ( I've done once before-see review ;) ) but felt strongly that for £11.95 the veggie option wasn't even worth £3! Now, this is the difference and why I've given 5 marks for this hotel (as well as the room and overall experience). Manager was called, listened, remarked and agreed it wasn't acceptable, apologised several times and it was taken off my bill. Professional and understandable. So thank you for that!

I would most definitely stay here again; convenient to city centre, parking option is great, friendly staff, cool and clean rooms and lovely cocktails :) Looking forward to the next stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and not facing inward towards courtyard/office block
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Excellent one night's stay over the weekend-great room overlooking the racecourse with the biggest bed ever and so comfy!!!

The service we received from all the staff was first rate and the meal taken in the Grill was again excellent.

Location is ideal for Chester's shops etc and the £10 charge for Hotel parking is well worth the money.

Overall a great Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Spent one night at this hotel - part business, part pleasure. Great views from a lovely room. The car park is easy to access - nothing like the Krypton Factor from an earlier review! Staff extremely helpful and attentive. A great hotel for either mooching around Chester or visiting the racecourse - which will be our return visit. And sitting in the restaurant on the fifth floor looking at views of the Welsh hills is truly fab

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed 4 nights. We asked for room with a view and were not disappointed to be on 3rd floor overlooking the racecourse.

Location, just inside West wall, is perfect as base for sightseeing. Suspect that would be extremely busy on race days!

Sarah on reception was brilliant. No porters, but Sarah was only too willing to transfer our luggage to/ from underground car park (which we thought a bit pricey at £10/day).

Excellent breakfast in B&B package.

The room was immaculate - everything to high standard - BUT:
No bedside cupboards/drawers, just a shelf
No armchair, not quite same to sit on the bed to enjoy the view
Had to contact reception to control aircon. So difficult to get it just right.

Room Tip: We had room 317, with racecourse view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Centrally located for a stay in Chester and right next to the racecourse. We had a great welcome and the room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The hotel is typically modern with a rather cold feeling main bar which feels like it wants to also cater for the Saturday night out crowd, however the bar prices probably preclude that. We much preferred the feel of the restaurants champagne bar, which gave a superb view of the surrounding area but oddly had less comfortable chairs than downstairs. Of note are the staff there who will mix you just about any cocktail. On the whole well worth a visit but don't expect it to be cheap.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013

As others have said - entry to the car park is similar to the krypton factor.

Checking in was a bit bizarre - the female who attended to us had such a strong European accent that I could hardly understand her.
When she asked if we wanted to eat there that evening we obviously said yes; we were looking forward to eating at the Michael Cain restaurant. We booked a table for 8.

The penny dropped when she said the restaurant was on the 1st floor! Michaels restaurant is on the 5th floor! - When my girlfriend checked, they confirmed that there was no table available in the Michael Cain restaurant so they booked us into the other restaurant! - Sneaky - good job we checked. We cancelled that night and booked for the following night in the correct restaurant. Watch out for that one if you stay and eat here.

Took the lift to our room. I've stayed at plenty of hotels all over the world and despite us paying for a "superior" room, this was just like any other business hotel room. Clean, basic, practical, but not luxurious in any way.
The blurb on the website said "superior" rooms had either a bath or a balcony. There was no bath in ours so pulling the curtains aside we were pleased to see a balcony (slightly bigger than a Juliette and with just 1 chair!) However, the tilt and slide door would not open. It had clearly caused problems for previous guests as it was hanging on by its rivets.

On the way out for our evening meal we explained to reception that the balcony door handle was broken and we could not open it to get onto the balcony - they said they would get someone to look at it.

Had a lovely evening out in Chester (see other reviews).
Back to the hotel. The balcony door handle had been secured on properly - but still would not open! Whats the point in having a balcony if you can not actually go out and stand on it.

Tea tray in the wardrobe had a good selection of teas and coffees; and the biscuits were nice.
But the quality of the hotel is nowhere near the standard of the Michael Cain restaurant that it shares the building with.

Plus point - My girlfriend loved the carpet and the side lights

Room Tip: Room 105 - near to the Spa and Gym. Balcony door doesn't open. View is of main road outside fron...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
AbodeChester, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear GazBouch

I am sorry for the confusion you encountered with our reception but I see you also left a review of the Michael Caines Restaurant which I can read you enjoyed. We aim to welcome all our resident in the Michael Caines restaurant and close out booking on only rare occasion.

Our Desirable rooms (superior) offer a slightly larger floor space than the Comfortable (standard room type) or a balcony with a view of the race course. Next time you would like to come and stay with us, please let me know and I will organise a complementary upgrade for you.

I look forward to hear from you

Yours Sincerely