Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“It's not bad.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Abode Chester

Abode Chester
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Northern Hemisphere
“It's not bad.....”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The reviews were glowing and in some cases gushing. So booking it for a weekend away was a no brainer. However, I would say it's "close but not quite there".

Location: A very convenient location, along with underground parking. Easy to reach/find, and once in situ a matter of yards/minutes by foot into the interesting parts of town. It's next to a busy road/roundabout, and it's for that reason that it's 4 blobs as opposed to the full 5.

Room: Modern and well equipped. The bathroom is very modern and superficially swanky (thumbs up for the Aran Aromatics toiletries). However, the shower splashed over the floor, and the drain was slow. There was no heated towel rail - although the mirror was 'heated' (ie to keep clear). So in practical terms it could have been better – a clear drain and under floor heating would be a winner.

I had read a number of reviews that raved about the comfort of the bed. Well I would classify the bed as poor. Putting aside that it was a small double (what hotel other than a budget one doesn't at least have queen size?) - it was soooo very soft there was no support. The last time I slept on a bed as uncomfortable as this was in a Travel Lodge where I was paying £25 a night and that mattress was shagged......

Service: On check in the girl was very pleasant but a bit dipsy and for a hotel of this 'positioning' I would have expected a slicker/more professional experience.
On check out breakfast charges had been added, but we hadn't had breakfast……

Dining: At around 5pm on the Saturday we decided it would be nice to eat at the hotel. We called the Michael Caines restaurant but were told that there were no tables, even for guests at the hotel. The lady said she would put us on a wait list and call back prior to 8pm to confirm one way or the other. There was never a call, so I can’t comment on the restaurant. There is also a ‘Michael Caines Brasserie’ where we could get in, and that’s what we did. The food was fine (average gastro pub standard), however, we asked information about some of the menu and the staff didn’t know the answers, then with our meal they ignored any requests e.g. no tomato, the sauce separately. As we had waited around 30 minutes since ordering we couldn’t be bothered to raise the issue – the people on the next table even got the wrong order, so we considered ourselves lucky. Also, the floor for a brasserie associated with a Michelin starred restaurant was poorly cleaned (streaks etc i.e. It has been cleaned but with cold/dirty water).

Value: The first night was a reasonable price but on the Saturday we paid £165 plus the parking. I have paid less to stay in world class hotels in London, Paris and New York………..

Overall: The place has the right idea and could be great but for the following reasons isn’t (yet…): inexperienced staff (check in and restaurants), rubbish beds, a bit more thought around details in the bathroom.

Would I stay again. At the right price Yes I would, but not at the prices I paid on this occasion (averaged £135 a night).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KSATraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stay at the abode for one night with my boyfriend on Good Friday, back in April. The hotel is in a great location – a two minute walk and you’re right in the centre where there are plenty of pubs, restaurants and lots of shops. It’s located right next to the race course so would be ideal if you were coming to watch the horses. The hotel itself is easy to find, just off the ring road. The car park on the other hand was a little more tricky! (Head up Nicolas Street with Abode on your left hand side. The car park is down a ramp on the left just as you pass the traffic lights). The room was on special offer that night at £75 with an additional £10 for parking. We were on the second floor with a view of the courtyard so it was very quiet. The room was huge and very nicely done out. The bathroom was also huge with a gorgeous walk in power shower and included some lovely smellies and fluffy towels.

Room service is available 24 hours a day however it is ridiculously priced and the choice is limited. We were lazy enough (a perhaps drunk enough) to order some sandwiches and chilli when we got in from our night out and were very disappointed not only with the service but with the bland taste. (Should have just gone to the late night chippy over the road).Breakfast wasn’t included with our room. However we were able to leave our car there for as long as we wanted to headed back into the centre for some food and another little walk around.

I’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A modern, spacious, well located Hotel. Easy access to Chester centre and the race course plus great views over the local area from the upper floors. I found the staff to be polite courteous and helpful which is a pleasant change from some hotels. Our room (standard Double) was large enough and well appointed, the bed was too soft for my liking and I would have appreciated a selection of pillow thicknesses as the large pillow exaggerated the softness of the bed..... Breakfast was great with a good cold buffet selection and well cooked and presented hot food. Parking was interesting - pay attention to the directions if you're arriving in the dark or you'll never find the entrance to the underground car park - signage not good. Parking in the basement is a bit of a faff although to be fair the hotel will help you up with your luggage without problem. At Laterooms prices it was a bargain and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Great views from upper floors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband booked here for an evening away. We had the next one up from a basic room (they have names, cannot remember what it was called) and it was £133 total for the room, breakfast, car parking and my husband arranged for a box of chocolates to be in the room for me.
It was easy to find and car parking was easy.
The staff are very professional and polite and make you feel really important. We were checked in within minutes and went to our room.
The room was out of this world. Super clean, spacious, huge bed, beautiful decor, clean, modern bathroom.... i could go on.
That evening we went to the bar where they do two cocktails for £9 before 9pm. My husband doesnt do cocktails so i had two myself! Lovely lovely drinks, service was excellent, bar was very modern.

The breakfast was £10 each and you could help yourself to continental and also order a cooked breakfast. Our breakfast order was taken promptly and came fairly quickly after. Continental was lovely and fresh, wasnt a fan of the smoothie of the day but thats a personal taste. The juices were freshly squeezed, pastries were lovely. I had eggs benedict and it was absolutely perfect. My husband had the full english but was a little disappointed with the quantity - one small sausage, one mushroom, a small ramekin of beans etc. He wished he would have had the eggs benedict like myself as it was beautiful.
Overall we loved every minute of our stay and are looking forward to the next visit.

• Stayed November 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We visited Chester for the first time ever for our 5-year wedding anniversary celebration and we chose the ABode as we wanted a nice modern hotel within walking distance of the city centre and the sights. It was a good choice and we had a lovely time. We also got upgraded, which helped :-)

So, here are the particulars.

Location. Within easy walking distance from the city center and the Groves.

Parking. As we stayed over a weekend, there was plenty of space and one could park in any space. Their garage is right underneath the hotel and you can take a lift direct to the various floors without having to pass reception each time (after you have checked in) and been given the keycard you need to use on the lift. On the literature in the room it did state that you can only park in spaces marked with "H", but this must mean weekday parking only.

Check-in and check-out. The staff were supremely courteous and smiling at all times and happy to have a chat. We felt welcome right from the start. When we were leaving, we took all the stuff to the car first and then went to sort out the bill, which made for a less stressful and less sweaty exit.

Room. The room was clean, roomy and very nice indeed. There was everything you would have expected to include a safe, iron and board and plenty of pillows on the large, soft bed. Please have a look at their website - the pictures are worth more than thousand words. Our view was of the castle from the panoramic window, which was nice. There was some noise made by other guests but nothing dramatic or overly disruptive so they must have done some insulating.

Food and service. We ate breakfast in the Michael Caines restaurant on the 5th floor both mornings. There was a good Continental selection and I must say their full English was one of the best ones I have ever had. We also had a quick lunch in the downstairs lounge bar and the food was nice there as well. We ate out for our evening meals so I cannot comment on those at the hotel. When having lunch, we were attended by a nice young lad called Craig who was very attentive and informative. He also elected not to serve a bagel prepared by a trainee chef he felt was not presentable and replaced it with a complementary one.

We now come to my only gripe of our experience. I tipped the guy in cash, only to find a 12% service charge on the bill afterwards. It was called an optional service charge, but I never got the option! Watch out for this as it can become significant if you hang around the cocktails for an hour or two and especially if you tip anyway and THEN pay the the charge like muggins (the undersigned) did.

Having said all that, we will book the ABode again when next in Chester and would recommend staying there.

manchester england
Reviewed October 30, 2012

first of all cannot fault the staff in all areas the bar ground floor champagne bar 5th floor especially at reception as they were superb either on the phone or in person
the room was large and clean although my wife did not like the bathroom being open plan but i knew that when booking just my wifes thought

the location good only 5 minutes into chester and if you aproach the hotel the right way car parking not a problem

now the problem how can a so called grill cafe owned by a good chef run out of any steak or lamb on a saturday night at 815pm and and also take 60 minutes to serve any food at all.

this ruined the weekend however the service charge was taken off my bill on checkout.

so the answer is book the hotel which is good but dont eat

Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Booked this hotel last week online with olotels! Got an o.k price including breakfast?? Prior to actually booking this I rang the hotel direct but they were £50 dearer??

The hotel is very nice to be fair, the staff are a real asset, polite, courteous, and helpfull!

Room was very comfortable, few points of negativity, stained curtains, bathroom walls stained with some sort of spillage?? Dirty surfaces?? As in dust!! Was a bit surprised by this as the rest of the hotel was very tidy!

Breakfast was perfect and plenty of choice?? The waitress serving us was very nice, very down to earth, and her relaxed chat to me and my girlfriend was welcomed?? Came across as being very nice and not false at all!!

Will return for a race weekend treat I think

Room Tip: We stayed in room 112