“Words almost fail me...will never go back.”
Review of ABode Chester

ABode Chester
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Chester
North East Coast
“Words almost fail me...will never go back.”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Restaurant staff overstretched; service poor; the amount of food wholly inadequate(dinner) -this, I cannot stress too much and some of it quite horrible, far too pretentious ; breakfast - leathery bacon and insufficient choice of bread, fruit and cheese, but the smoked haddock was nice and service good.No windows able to be opened in room so had to have noisy air conditioning on and I prefer fresh air; sink blocked before I arrived; no easy chair; insufficient storage for clothes. But the real problem was the TINY portions of food at dinner -for £24!! Nice view but you can't eat a view!!

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GillyPNorthEastCoast
Abode_Chester_Hotel, Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Mrs G,

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me to discuss your feedback.

We strive towards a very high level of service and although I am pleased that you found the reception staff and service at breakfast friendly and good, I am very sorry that we fell short of our usual high standards in other areas.

Since opening a year ago, our restaurant has gained a very good reputation in the area, culminating in winning the Best Restaurant Award 2010 from Cheshire Life and I am very disappointed to hear that you did not have a good experience there. We have addressed the various issues you raised, and especially the portion size of the particular main course you described to me.

Regarding our rooms, we do have a number of rooms with balconies that are available on request and we are making changes to our bedroom furniture by adding more comfortable chairs.

As discussed, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in ABode Chester & MC Restaurant on Fifth by visiting us again and we will make sure that you have a wonderful experience.

Kind regards,

Maarten van der Velde
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Reviewed June 14, 2011

One night stay - bedroom ok but lacking any armchair/ small table which were sacrificed to an over large standard lamp. Very average bath/shower products, no shower cap or cotton wool, no bathrobes, charged for bottles of water. Breakfast was overcooked and my request for gluten free toast produced half a slice after a 15 minute wait!!

• Stayed June 2011
Abode_Chester_Hotel, Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Dear Poppy 2104,

I am so sorry to hear that you found your stay at the ABode Chester disappointing. We work hard to ensure all our guests have a wonderful experience and I apologise for not living up to your expectations.

Following feedback from guests, we are in the process of ordering more comfortable chairs for the rooms. Our bathroom products are carefully selected by our head office but grooming products are of course a very personal choice and I am sorry that they were not to your liking. I apologise for the absence of a shower cap, it should have been provided in your room. Cotton buds and bath robes are provided in our Enviable and Fabulous rooms only.

Lastly, we cook our English breakfast to order and there is no excuse for it to be overcooked. We pride ourselves on our ability to cater for dietary requirements and we bake our own gluten free bread, which should have been provided generously. I have taken this up with our Executive Chef to ensure we improve in that area.

Thank you for your feedback and I would appreciate if you could get in touch with me to let me know the details of your booking. I sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in the ABode Chester and on that occasion, I want to personally make sure that you have a wonderful stay.

Regards,

Maarten van der Velde
operationsmanagerchester@abodehotels.co.uk
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stay at lots of hotels on business and while I have stayed in plenty better it does what exactly you would hope it would do.
Good location, decent tech in rooms (incl free wireless) and good food.
I stayed in the second best room and while it was very comfortable it was a little cold in decor so not very homely.

• Stayed June 2010
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The hotel is nearly new so the rooms are still in good condition. We had an Enviable Room, which included a freestanding bath and wash basin in the bedroom as well as a bathroom with shower. The lighting behind the headboard was a nice touch. For some the beds may be a little soft. Both the bedroom and bathroom were large. The bedroom had a cd/mp3 player and LCD tv. The hotel is one quarter of a circular building so half the rooms overlook the centre plaza and the others overlook the main road and racecourse.

The only slightly odd feature is the need to swipe the keycard to access your floor, so you can't access another floor other than the reception or restaurant floors. Also the main lifts do not go down to the car park. There is a separate lift that appears to reach all floors. Car parking is available beneath the hotel in a secure car park. Staff are friendly and helpful.

The Michael Caines restaurant on the 5th floor is excellent. Try the grazing menue and ask the wine waiter to select matching wines. The breakfast is also excellent.

The ground floor Michael Caines bar & grill is also good, but has a limited menue. I recommend both.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Excellent last minute rate, £71, for a comfortable room with excellent bed and bathroom. No comfortable chair however.

Breakfast, at extra cost, was cooked to order and service was excellent; and well priced at £10.

Underground hotel car park also reasonably priced.

Good location for visiting the city centre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Notwithstanding the hotel itself is of a very good quality, its administrative services are very poor. One month after our staty we still expect the release of the moneys taken as a payment guarantee. Until today and after several phone calls and E-mails the issue is not solved.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YMMOLG
Sheffield
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We stayed early March on the 'soul on fire' package. A night in a suite, tasting menu ( see restaurant revue), flowers, etc. Hotel location is excellent. Our room, Hyperion, was excellent. Very large, finished to a high standard. Big comfy bed. Very stylish bathroom with incredibly large walk through shower. The only minor quibble was the low level of lighting in the room. Cannot complain about anything else at all.

Room Tip: 6th floor suites for views & space
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple