“Did I visit the same restaurant?”
Review of Gate of India

Gate of India
Ranked #83 of 575 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Licensed Tandoori Restaurant, Fully Air Conditioned, Soft Music and Easy Parking. Takeaway service available. 10 % discount on takeaway meals before 11pm. We serve the best Indian and English Cuisine. Tandoori Dishes our speciality. Special arrangement for Banquets, Parties, Weddings etc. All prices include VAT.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

If I had read the recent reviews, I would not have visited. Have they changed the chef, I wonder?

We visited on a Saturday evening after trying two restaurants close by, which we found had at least an hour's wait for a table.

It was very busy, but we got a table quickly. It is definitely an "old-fashioned" Indian restaurant in terms of a traditional decor, but that gives it a certain charm and brought back some memories of my first visits to Indian restaurants in the UK! We were told that it has been established over 40 years, so they must have been doing something right for that length of time!

We were very pleased with our meal and the service and the restaurant was clean. We eat indian food regularly and found that the food quality was good. A satisfying meal for two with drinks came to around £40.00, which was good value.

I couldn't see any reason not to return.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The food was plentiful but very bland.
Service barely adequate, would not go again.
Prices around what I would normally pay.
Only go if everywhere else full.....

3  Thank Mimicr
Reviewed March 29, 2013

If all you want is a huge curry this is the place to go! Sadly everything was bland and tasted the same. The service was polite but nothing more. It's not somewhere I would go back to.

1  Thank nurse46_11
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have been told about this restaurant for years and always meant to give it a go. I was told it was a "good old fashioned indian" so I had high hopes. We were in a party of 5 and arrived about 9:30 Saturday 15th March and had had a few drinks but we were not that rowdy. The staff were very efficient and we were soon seated down and ordered drinks.

The restaurant was 3/4 full but service was good and we had popodums quite quickly so far so good... most of us ordered starters I ordered a mixed kebab because it was recommended and again these were delivered within 10-15 minutes.

My problem was with the food Starter - The mixed kebab was a reasonable portion of lamb and chicken and an onion bargee but was a bit dry and overcooked and served with a bit of lettuce and a dip. It wasnt that spicy and seemed to have been toned down to "English Tastes" I've certainly tasted better and more authentic.

I ordered a Lamb Biriany with Madras Curry sauce instead of there normal vegetable curry. This was particually disapointing because I was served with standard pilau rice with pre-cooked marinated thinly sliced roasted lamb pieces dropped into it with a few token peas and an omlette on the top made from pre-constituted egg that was very unpleasant. A good biriani has the meat slowly cooked with the rice and onions and includes lots of spices including cardomons and cinnamum sticks etc to infuse the flavours. This was a thown together indian style fried rice without much thought and very little taste. To make matters worse despite ordering a madras curry sauce I was offered a vegetable curry sauce which was extreamly bland and boring and frankly what you may expect from a low cost british pub chain.

I hope the owners read this review and take on board some of the comments because the Gate of India was a Chester instituition and I feel its still living on its previous reputation. Please get back to making good authentic indian food and consider ditching some of your time saving ideas. Service was quick and good but food definately needs improving!!

3  Thank SteveRobbo2012
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First class service. The waiters were attentive and very helpful as well as being very efficient. One waiter made a point of remembering all of our names in a party of six even though the restaurant was full of customers! We all had different dishes and the food was delicious. The portions were generous too. It was good to hear authentic Indian background music too. We shall definitely visit the restaurant again when next staying in Chester.