“Friendly and tasty”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've been here a couple of times with work (as it's the bosses favourite Chinese) and we normally have a set menu. This time my husband and I came. The staff and owners are very friendly and were happy to change the duck on the set menu, however we did not opt for this in the end. We had the lamb pancake rolls which we've never had before and they were amazing. The hoisin sauce is the nicest we have ever had. The dishes are large (way to much for us to eat but I suppose having two starters didn't help!). It's not the cheapest (£62 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 sides with a couple of drinks and I think because of this it'll be a 'treat' when we go again rather than a Chinese regular.
Well worth a visit

There are newer reviews for The Shanghai Restaurant

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We booked to come here for my partners birthday with family and friends (8 of us in total) as we had never been here before and saw it had great reviews so thought we would try it out. We are so please we did because we are sure to be back again and again.The menu is great and loads of choices with the set menus. We changed a couple of dishes as one of our party had an allergy to shellfish which was no problem for them. The staff are very helpful and friendly. It has a great atmospere and loads of room between tables so you dont feel on top of others which you get it some restaurants. The food was fabulous and nothing was wasted. The only thing is that it is expensive so that would be my only negative.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We wandered by this place and thought we would give it a try, we were not disappointed. Service was excellent and the restaurant was clean and spacious. The prawn crackers were the whitest I have seen. Usually we cannot finish a Chinese meal but this was so lovely every little piece was eaten. This was not the cheapest Chinese meal I have had but it was certainly worth paying that little bit extra for.

1  Thank 360Ali
Reviewed February 14, 2014

we ate her on our second night nice friendly staff lovely food and plenty of choice of dishes well worth a visit

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Had tried the Slowboat in Chester, but sister wanted to try somewhere different....and as it was her birthday, we thought we'd let her! So glad we did.

We had Banquet D which cost £25.50 per person, with a couple of extra dishes thrown in for good measure (salt and pepper king prawns and battered tiger prawns).

The starter platter arrived, (prawn toast, ribs, chicken satay, spring rolls and seaweed) and there was more than enough for everyone in our party. If I'm totally honest, by the time I'd eaten my starter and had a try of the two extra prawn dishes, I was full.

Well needed break between the starter and the crispy duck and pancakes. Once again the portion of duck and pancakes was very generous. Unfortunately, for me the duck was a tad over cooked, which is reflected in my overall rating.

By the time the main courses arrived, I was fit to burst, so only sampled each of the four dishes, which were delicious.

The service was first rate, the staff were very friendly and attentive.

Would highly recommend this restaurant to family and friends......and if you are staying in the city centre, it is well worth the short taxi journey, as you may not find it on foot if you are not from the area.