“Average restaurant”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The food at the shanghai was good but I found the prices a little high and from previous reviews expected exceptional food. Service was good, the restaurant was very quiet as it was a Monday night. The decor was a little tired and there were stand alone heaters everywhere, but we weren't cold and the staff moved heaters when we arrived.

I would say the restaurant is nice but wouldn't rate it above average.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our family are big fans of the Shanghai, always choosing it for Birthdays or other celebrations. The food is always brilliant, not that we every stray too far from our usual! We always go for the starting platter, amazing every time! One down side is that we always over stuff ourselves, but that is our fault and we always try not to eat for a day before we go there so that we can order all of our favourites!! The service is always great and we leave planning the next excuse for a visit!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had heard good reviews when I moved to Chester in July 12, only got round to going last week.....and it definitely was not worth the wait!! So suprised since heard such good things but where do I start? I had the ribs to start, had about 1/4 of my plate piled with cartilage after, now I love my ribs and bones are bones but this was a tad ridulous. GF had king prawn which was covered in salt,but the mains is where it really nose dived, I had Chicken Szechuan which , as I have already read in another comment was similar to eating rubber, tacky shaped slices of cucumber lining the plate( very mediocre stuff) she had duck which basically look like kebab meat on a plate mixed with bad veg, really was awful, I actual put the fat to one side so the could see it! The only reason we remained at the table was to finish the house white which was nice for 13.50. Didn't eat the mains and mentioned our thoughts to the waiter, only for a reply of 'sorry maybe it's not your cup of tea'.....yes I went to a 'Chinese' to have a Chinese because its not my cup of tea...Very unprofessional to say the least. He also mentioned ' well...we do well here' , to which I replied 'yes, and I came here expecting to be fed well too' . I literally looked around at the few taken tables for a Monday night and wondered why I hadnt just gone to our regular take away Summer Palace, the take away alone is far far better than this 'food'. £60 we will never be fooled into wasting again. Unfortunate stuff but very true, maybe this place did have its time I don't know...but that time has well and truly past! Not our 'cup of tea' as one man put it, and if you like good Chinese it definitely won't be yours either! I'm on the lookout still for Chester's best Chinese! Nothing but the truth.

2  Thank Paddy7OBrien
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Service was great nothing was too much trouble. They were happy to do a substitute from the set menu. Food was hot and good size portions. Large menu with something for everybody. Car park is a little small but there is ample street parking around. House wine at about £15 was OK. Overall price is not cheap but worth it in my view.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We are regular visitors to the Shanghai, and in 8 years have never had a bad meal, or poor service. Last night was no exception, the food was excellent as ever, the service was quick and friendly, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. I can recommend the smoked shredded chicken for a starter - delicious!