“Excellent food and good value”
Review of Joseph Benjamin

Joseph Benjamin
Ranked #23 of 568 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Good 2 or 3 course menu - bill for 2 persons / 3 courses came to £64 including a bottle of wine! staff are very friendly and attentive and the food is great. Only downside on not getting 5 stars is the somewhat limited menu - only 4 or so main courses - would be nice to have a specials board ?!

Reviewed December 5, 2010

On a weekend in Chester we called in whilst shopping to see if they could do dinner Saturday night - luckily we got a cancellation.

Food was great - quite a small menu but everything was well done. Olives were gorgeous, warm breads were delicious. Being picky the balsamic was a little young.

We both had the special starter - a fabulous rich seafood and chorizo chowder. Great, rich flavour. A small criticism was that chowder was really delicious and the warm fruit and nut bread was delicious but they didn't go together.

For main my partner had haddock with leeks and I had braised mutton and pomme dauphinoise. Again very good although I would have preferred a richer, creamier dauphinouse.

Finished up with a plum crumble and custard (the only complaint here was I wanted more!) and a fabulous warm chocolate brownie.

The quibbles really are to highlight tiny refinements to make a 4.5 star meal genuinely five star.

Staff were very friendly if a little disorganised - although service overall was very good.

Highly recommended the most authentic food we had in Chester.

Reviewed November 24, 2010

my wife and i had a really nice meal here. the food was prepared simply but beautifully. local ingredients freshly prepared. the tab was quite reasonable. i would highly recommend...so many tasty menu choices.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

We went there during our weekend shopping in chester, and the food is very nice indeed. We felt well looked after, the only thing is maybe the price and the space that plays agaisnt it maybe, but i still recomend it!

Reviewed October 30, 2010

My daughter and I accidentally found this place after asking in a shop for a recommendation for somewhere nearby for lunch. The shop assistant recommended Joseph Benjamin's. We were expecting a traditional cafe but found a lovely wine bar/restaurant. It was beautifully set out and decorated. The staff were excellent, happy attentative, spot on. We ordered a Local starter plate that had lots of local ham and cheeses, couscous. It came with the most wonderful bowl of different types of little wedges of bread We also had a dressing which we dipped the bread in. It was yummy, My daughter ordered the Workers Sandwhich and I had the hot salmon sandwich, big, fresh and tasty I was driving so ordered a ginger beer and my daughter had a cranberry juice. It came to £21.00 and I thought it was excellent value. We decided we would come back on the bus soon and try the evening menu and have a glass of wine. The pudding menu looked wonderful but we were stuffed. I also liked the use of local produce, they do award winning sausages from the butcher's next door and also do a cheese platter from The Cheese shop about 4 doors down. Will definately go back