“Real pride in their local produce”
Review of Joseph Benjamin

Joseph Benjamin
Reserve with OpenTable
Joseph Benjamin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 567 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 5, 2011

A busy restaurant is always a good sign and on the Saturday lunch we were there not only were we lucky to get a table we also noted how many others wanted to follow suit. Service was provided by a friendly and efficient team who all took great pride in what was being produced. We opted for a very simple lunch consisting of a couple of glasses of wine (from a reasonably priced and interesting list) and a shared platter of local meats, cheeses and other savouries. The waiter even took the time and trouble to explain everything that was on the plate - it was all delicious.

Joseph Benjamin gets a strong recommendation but next time we visit we won't take a chance - we will reserve a table.

There are newer reviews for Joseph Benjamin

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Food was lovely although menu was limited. A little expensive - particularly the desserts, which werent as great as the rest of the meal.
Portion sizes not too small (like these places sometimes are). Staff attentive and efficient, yet discreet. We would recommend!

Reviewed April 2, 2011

Great experience, good food (amazing bread & salad), attentive staff, nice clean toilets…. Yes it’s a tad pricey but a very nice treat, would definitely go again…. Minor criticism not a great veggie choice but that’s what you get for being an awkward begger & the goats cheese salad was wonderful....!

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We ate early on a Saturday night and were impressed. The restaurant was well situated near the centre. The pace of service was just right - not too fast not too tardy. The food was delicious and portions were the right size. The wine (2006 Amareto Zenato) was the correct temperature and tasted un-be-lievably good
Overall i would recommend this restaurant - you even get a view of the Chester wall from the window seats !
Book early to eat at peak times

Reviewed March 3, 2011

After 2 weeks (staying over for work) of making my way round Chester's restaurants, I definitely saved the best for last. Food is absolutely excellent, from the freshness of ingredients to the spot on execution - giving lots of taste without being at all heavy.

My starter of quail with rice and satay sauce was very tasty. Being Malaysian (where satay is indeed deliciously served with peanut sauce, pressed rice, cucumber and onion), I could be critical by comparing it to what I know as satay sauce. But instead, I found the chunky peanuts and rice went really well with the quail. If I had to be picky, I think it was under seasoned and I had to top up with the salt and pepper mills, but to be honest, I'd rather it erred in that direction since too much seasoning can't be removed.

Even with the small menu I was torn between 2 mains, and settled on the Scottish hake, served with mussels, chorizo and kale in a sauce. Again, excellent, if perhaps not as innovative as my starter. Side of vegetables included some excellent roast parsnips, which were a delight.

With the lovely first two courses I had, I had to see if dessert would give a complete trinity, and ordered the Sticky Toffee pudding with banana ice cream. The pudding was light (as light as a sticky toffee pudding could be) and not overly sweet. Banana ice cream was a perfect complement, deliciously served in a thin wafer crisp.

So overall, could not really fault the food (and I literally cleaned all of my plates!). If I was being picky, service could be stepped up a notch, where it took until I was three quarters of the way through my main before someone asked if I was alright, and with the interchangeable waiters, sometimes it felt like no one was sure if they were meant to serve/clear/ask, etc. I also tend to like my service with a bit more personality (but that's a personal preference). Definitely nothing to moan about, but it would be good if front of house matched the excellence in the kitchen.

In the past 2 weeks of dining in Chester I've disagreed with a fair few number of reviews on this website (maybe I'm just used to some rather good restaurants with flair in London and Bristol), but for Joseph Benjamin I whole heartedly agree with the excellent reviews. Maybe not quite (yet?) in the same league as the Michelin stars, but certainly very very good and where I will be heading next time I am in town.