“Taster menu”

Ranked #18 of 562 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Taster menu”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband booked the restaurant as a surprise 25th wedding anniversay meal. I can honestly say that the 'experiance' was exceptional. The choice of breads (which were still warm), wine and all the courses were the best. The service was impecable from when we entered the restaurant to leaving. Each course was explained as it came to the table and the we had a detailed review of the wine also (totally enjoyed the professionaism). I woulsd definetly recommend this place.

2 Thank Herjinder H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
southport
“A mixed bag.”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We visited this restaurant recently and had the tasting menu.

There were a lot of positives from this meal but it must be judged against what are undoubtedly, rather high prices.

The amuse bouches and appetisers were average and didn’t excite for the meal ahead, the idea of whitebait in a paper bag surely needed to be rethought. The fish was soggy.

In terms of the actual menu, there were some very good/outstanding dishes, some average and one or two which just didn’t work. Particular highlights were the desserts and the Roe Deer. Lows included the “ham and egg” and the cheese course. The bread trolley is one of the best we have ever seen!!

Service was very formal but cannot really be faulted for this. I would of preferred a little more “humanism” it felt very much as though the waiting staff were reading from a script at times. They would ask how the dish was and then walk away whilst you tried to answer.

All in all, not a bad meal but nothing to write home about. At these prices, you can certainly do a lot better.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank simo71
London
“Phenomenal - Best Meal We've Ever Had!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife booked this restaurant for a surprise birthday meal and it was perfection. The service, food and atmosphere was spot on and we both agreed it was the best meal we've ever had!

We've had the taster menus at The Abode in Chester, Panoramic in Liverpool, Pecks of Congleton and Roux at The Landau in London but for us, this one tops them all. The restaurants I've just mentioned are excellent and close to perfection but for us, this one was perfect.

The staff were amazing and once we sat down in the bar area they served us our drinks and brought out some canapés, which were delicious. We were impressed with the food before we had even been into the restaurant!

Once we got taken through the service was impeccable - they sat us at our table and made us feel comfortable all evening. The service was hands down I have ever experienced at a restaurant - it was simply superb. I cannot overstate the quality of the service. For me the small things matter and the staff there were exceptional. We found the service at The Panoramic and Roux at The Landau lower than our expectations for restaurants of that quality, but this was no such problem at Simon Radley.

They also managed to get the food absolutely spot on as well. With 7/8 course taster menus there has to be a balance between the quality and the quantity of food. At Roux at The Landau, the food was very good but the portion sizes were far too small. Here at Simon Radley, the food was exceptional and there was just the right amount. At the end of the night we were comfortably full and very satisfied.

At £100 per head for the taster menu is it certainly one of the more expensive ones we have experienced but I have to say, it is definitely worth the money!

2 Thank barneystinson
Chester, United Kingdom
“Birthday dinner at the Grosvenor”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Me and my family went to Simon Radley's restaurant to celebrate my 50th birthday. I am a chef so I was especially excited about it. First we were presented with a very good selection of freshly baked breads with salted and unsalted butter. I can't comment on the wines as I don't drink. Then followed by an amouse bouche. My son opted for the starter of frogs legs bon bons which were excellent. My wife had asparagus panna cotta which had an intense flavour of asparagus. I went for veal sweetbreads and lobster which surprisingly was a good match.

One of the main courses was pigeon accompanied with dates, a delicious meat flavoured brulee and a coffee sauce, was absolutely fantastic. Another main course was monkfish cheeks with a garlic sauce, octopus, and butter beans. The garlic sauce had the right strength and the cheeks were firm but not too chewy. The last main course was sea bream with a bouillabaisse sauce. This dish had an excellent presentation and the sauce was exquisite, my wife was glad they gave her a spoon so she could get every drop.

My dessert was caramelised pears served with tracing paper thin shavings of cheese and a mousse. Again surprisingly was a good match. My wife had wild strawberries, with a sweet pea vacherin (meringue), accompanied with a super delicious strawberry sorbet. Again, excellent presentation and who would have thought peas in a dessert. My son had chocolate cremeux with hazelnut praline and warm toffee sauce. It had salt crystals on top which brought out the flavours nicely.

The service was attentive, polite and not overbearing. The restaurant décor was classy but I think some refurbishment is needed to the ceiling. The chairs are very comfortable. My only grumble is that the tips should be left to the customer's discretion. Coffee and petit fours were served in an adjoining room. Cannoli and chocolate cigars were a pleasant surprise.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This is a fantastic place with stunning food and impeccable service. Overall fantastic eating experience. I'll definitely be returning

• Visited May 2014