“Memorable evening”

Ranked #12 of 576 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Everything one would expect of a Michelin restaurant.
We chose from the a la carte menu – the food was faultless.
From the start with nine choices of freshly baked bread, to the finish with a superb cheeseboard, the meal was outstanding.
My wife, who is not a fish eater, enjoyed the subtle flavours of the Red Mullet Bouillabaisse, whist I tucked into the Herdwick spring lamb in its many guises (including sweetbreads, liver and kidney).
The amuse bouche of tuna in a tomato jus was delightful, with the flavours still lingering on the tongue long after finishing, as was the cherry kirsch sorbet.
The service was exceptional – professional, knowledgeable, helpful, unobtrusive and genuinely friendly.
Every member of staff serving us took time for a ‘chat’ – they obviously loved their job.
With a coffee and a chocolate cigar to finish with we departed as very happy customers.
We’ll be back!

1  Thank chrisandlyn

Reviewed August 19, 2013

A superb dining experience!

The menu was explained fully and the food did not disappoint.
The wine menu was amazing as was the knowledge and helpfulness of the sommelier.
A relaxed pace for the meal, dictated by our table, allowed us to fully appreciate the fantastic food and wine.
After the meal we retired to the bar area for the amazing chocolates, if they weren't so good we couldn't have eaten them all…honest.

1  Thank John C
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was my second visit and yet again the food was truly fabulous. If you want a place that is truly special and food that doesn't compare to any restaurant within 100 miles then this is for you. After your food you can retire to the bar and finish with liqueurs/coffee & their hand made chocolates.The maitre'd kindly wrapped some divine chocolates up for my daughter. (she is too young to gain entry to the restaurant) Which she thought as fabulous as I did. This is the only downside, children have to be 12 to gain entry to the restaurant.
Can't wait for my next visit......

1  Thank althe
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visited the Chester Grosvenor mainly to eat at this restaurant for our anniversary. We enjoy eating at Michelin Starred restaurants around the UK and abroad.

Staff were excellent across the board and service was prompt. We chose the tasting menu which is slightly more limited than some we have enjoyed.

The amuse bouche was tuna in a tomato jus which we both found disappointing and lacking any complexity of taste. The following courses were generally very good and included ingredients that we might never have chosen, such as razor clams and goat.

A highlight is the selection of breads which was an experience in itself.

The finale was a pudding which is essentially a deconstructed peach Melba. This was somewhat underwhelming and left us feeling a little flat and unwilling to invest in coffee or liqueurs.

The wine list can be expensive but there are cheaper options included. Our Californian Sauvignon Blanc was £55 and complemented all the courses well.

1  Thank KevinTurvey
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was treated to the taster menu by a special friend as it was my 40th birthday, it was a great experience and we tasted many foods we have never tasted before and some I won't be tasting again, but I believe in trying most things once, at first it was a little overwhelming as to how many staff take you to your seat and in synchronisation sit you down and push you in and put your linen napkin on your knee like its carefully choreographed, which very childishly I got a terrible fit of giggles to, but after that you have to appreciate the professionalism of the staff and the service they provide to make your meal an event and not just your tea out, it's an experience I greatly enjoyed.