“Good, but not great”

Ranked #29 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I feel quite bad about writing something negative as the food was lovely, it all started off quite brilliantly with freebies in the bar, amazing bread from the fancy bread trolley. We were on the 8 course tasting menu and we were there for 3 hours!! it was far too long, the gap between each course got to nearly 40 minutes at one stage. Then when the course came we were so hungry that we just wolfed it down and didn't appreciate the taste of it as food like that deserves. The waiting staff did apologise for the delay and they were really good at accommodating me being pregnant. But it just didn't feel special enough - somewhere like this is a once a year treat for me - this year it was on my 30th birthday.My mum had surprise booked the restaurant for me - but they didnt do anything for it - last year at another restaurant they wrote 'happy birthday' in chocolate on the plate which seems to be standard practice, my 2 year old daughter got better treated for her birthday at bloomin TGI's with a free cake!! Just something would have been nice. My husband was also upset after being told that the 2nd beer he ordered was the same as the first although it quite clearly wasnt. They bought a bottle to the table to open in front of us (we never saw the label) and advised that different batches were different with this beer. We make our own beer and we know the difference,one was a lager, the other was an ale. He wasn't too bothered as they both tasted nice, so just an explanation would have been fine - but to have one glass taken away and a brand new one bought in to 'show' us just made a fuss out of it - it wasn't handled very well.

3  Thank Sarah B

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is currently my favourite restaurant. We last visited in November 2012 when I was 8 months pregnant. The staff were excellent and could not do enough for us. They recommended specific meals and described which ones could be adapted for me.
The food was excellent. The service outstanding. The bread and cheese trollies are an experience in their own right!!
It is expensive but you pay for the quality, attention to detail and a perfect surrounding. It is one not to be missed!!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife has eaten in Michelin starred restaurants and has wanted to visit this one for a while. As for me, I've always shied away from what I thought was the pomposity of the service and food. But that's not the case here.

It's fine dining at its best. Yes the staff sit you into your chair, place the napkin on your lap and 'explain' each dish as it is served but they are all approachable and friendly. One or two even having a little laugh.

Sitting in the bar before dinner with an aperitif, hors d'oeuvres were served. With the a la carte menu and all the little extras there was plenty of wonderfully tasting food to be had. Yes it's haute cuisine and taking each course separately you'd think it wouldn't fill a rabbit. But don't be fooled. Also the huge choices of breads and cheeses were impressive.
As it's not something we do all the time, we pushed the boat out and had a 'very good' wine. I had thought that I couldn't tell the difference between a Chateau Talbot and a £3 Bulgarian red from the corner shop, but it was worth it.

Overall, a wonderful gastronomic experience for the epicure in all of us.

The bad news is that now I have a taste for it!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Not really much to say apart from a fantastic night of exceptional food, excellent service and lovely surroundings. From start to finish the staff were accommodating and the special little touches that happened throughout the night (such as over-hearing it was a birthday celebration and bringing us 'happy birthday' petit fours) made the night truly memorable. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Took my mum for afternoon tea for her mother day present
It was amazing, never been before, and will definitely be going again in the future
They replenish the sandwiches, scones, and cakes if you want more, and also top you up with drinks too, few had the basic one, which was lovely, mum really enjoyed it too :))

We were there for 2 hours, staff were friendly and attentive, although at times felt that because we weren't "regular" guests, that we didn't get the same treatment!

Would definitely go back again

1  Thank HelenT_9