“Excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #10 of 548 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Impressive bread and cheese selection. Very interesting and reasonably priced wine selection. We had the a la carte menu with some great and well-balanced seasonable flavors. Bit light on the vegetables.

Staff polite and helpful. Ask the sommelier for wine suggestions. He came up with some well-matching suggestions I would have never picked. A very pleasant experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Christmas made bearable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked a stop here whilst enjoying shopping in early December. The Christmas shopping was great, Chester is a beautiful place to shop, but our lunch at the grovenor was very, very special.
Not cheap, in fact pretty expensive, and I did feel we were paying for location when I saw the menu. I was quickly proved wrong with amazing appetizers and a great fish first course, followed by superb local lamb and a stunning cheeseboard. Service was impeccable, not intrusive and not overbearing. I first highly recommend shopping in Chester and secondly I highly recommend visiting the grovenor, it really is special.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“A New Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having received 'An Evening at the Simon Radley'- Taster Menu for my 40th Birthday, it was my first kind of serious fine dining and tasting experience. We received a warm welcome with an unusual selection of amuse bouche and sparkling champagne. The surroundings felt rather decadent and service was suberb, a little like experiencing a symphony, pure synchronicity, however, it did feel a little over-powering at times for our first experience. The bread choice was amazing and as the restaurant states, this is a tasting menu and we experienced food flavours and combinations like never before, although it wouldn't be a choice to eat like this all the time but for a special occasion it was a lovely experience. Overall, a very memorable and pleasant dining experience. Thanks to all the staff who helped to make our evening feel special.

Cradley Heath, United Kingdom
“What a time to feel ill ..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Booked a one night spa break based soley on wanting to eat at this restaurant for my anniversary. The headache came during the afternoon, I took care of that and we went for pre dinner drinks as planned. Complimentary olives and nuts came with the drinks, every ok, then the amuse bouche which was so awful I never recovered. Foam salmon stick (foam that looks and tastes of froffy spit), warm chestnuts in shells with not cutlery to de shell and truffles coated in cocoa which I had to remove from my mouth. Oh dear. Not good so far. Drink lots of water and carry on to the restaurant for more amuse bouche, this time makerell and fried stuff. More water. first starter arrive, squid, I have to go .. quickly. Sorry Simon Radley, sorry husband.
Apart form ruining our evening my other regret is not asking for some of the food where possible to be sent up to our room for my husband, especially on checking out the next day to be charged in full £180tasting meny, policy once food is order whether eate or not. A strange foodie experience from someone with a large appetite who often orders all the starters as they all look good. But when you feel sick ...
Finally, there is a high staff to diner ratio. Five people waited on us. Two serving, one leading the way, 1 bread lady, 1 wine pourer. Can be a bit overwhelming.

4 Thank DebraZebra_9
Heswall, United Kingdom
“Good service -Great Bread - warm food- dissapointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I booked for two about 5 weeks in advance as like most restaurants seems to be popular on Saturday night.
The staff at the Grosvenor are mostly well trained and polite. I think they have just one booking time for this restaurant which is 7pm
Upon arrival went directly to the table and were given the choice of a "tasting menu" of around £90 per person or the a la carte menu of 3 courses for about £70 per person.without wine or drinks.
We chose the a la carte.
The room is modern/traditional and the seating is very comfortable but the general decor could do with bringing up to date .
There were several
" amuse bouche" ( small free course) and the bread selection is exceptionally good.
Although the food looked good and tasted good it was all only served warm.none of it was hot.
I thought "am I missing something here"? Although the food was OK, I was not blown away by it and thought to ask if Simon Radley was in the kitchen? I was told by the waiter and then by the manager that he was on holiday.
We were very disappointed and expecting Simon Radley to be cooking after all this is his only restaurant.Unlike say, Gordon Ramsey who has many Restaurants and one would not expect him to be in them at one time.
I do not see the point in paying £70 per head excluding wine/ drinks otherwise.
I think it very reasonable that the booking staff should state if Mr Radley is away and will not be cooking on a particular date and then you have the option to chose an alternative date.
With regard to the warm food perhaps this is inevitable with this style of food presentation which is tweaked by hand, positioned, decorated and had various dressings applied to it on the plate.It then has to be taken from kitchen to dining room. Am I expecting too much for it to still remain hot? Some restaurants however seem to manage it.

• Visited November 2012