“Very good food, excellent wines”

Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #22 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Espoo, Finland
“Very good food, excellent wines”
Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

For once, we didn't go for the tasting menu. Instead, I had scallops for a starter and a steak s the main course. Scallops, which is not easy to make, were excelent, and the steak was not bad either. The selection of cheeses they have on their dessert menu was quite impressive and I really, really enjoyed it. My wife seemed to enjoy her avocado & shrimp starter and her mango-based dessert with chocolate quite a lot, too. All in all, well worthy of the Michelin star and reasonable price-quality ratio. Thumbs up!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I decided to come here after reading the Good Food Guide.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect with the mixed reviews. We had a lovely relaxing evening with the great service you would expect from a restaurant of this type.

We were given the wrong starter however we weren’t too concerned as and we had more time to enjoy the fantastic bread selection. There are about 10 varieties on offer. The red wine and walnut bread is highly recommended.

We enjoyed all our courses. The food presentation and taste was amazing. I would recommend the Rhubarb and Ginger dessert. I’m not that keen on dessert but I’d say this was my favourite course.

If you ever have chance to visit you must try the cocktails. I’ve never tasted anything like it and were really reasonably priced.

You cant fault it even with the mix up with our starter as the food was so wonderful.

• Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Michelin Dining - You get what you pay for”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I took the parents and partner here for a birthday celebration.

As you would expect for a £500 meal, the food and service was exquisite. I have been to the restaurant when it used to be the Arkle and now its recent incarnation and both have never disappointed.

There really isn't too much more to say other than it is wonderful to dine in a truly extraordinary place now and again. Thanks to the staff and to Simon.

• Visited January 2012
Leeds
“Truly wonderful”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We go to this restaurant quite alot but since the new kitchen has now been installed the dishes are truly wonderful.
The menu looked so good my Husband had to try two starters, the first lobster and sweetbreads which he said was really good, but the best one he said was the vension starter, the best he has had here so far. I had the pigeon pie, this has been changed from the last menu and for the better it really was very tasty.
I tried for the first time for my main a vegetarian dish with gnocchi looked and tasted devine.
My Husband had Veal and again wonderful.
For dessert I had the cheese board which if you are a cheese lover is a must, my Husband had a Mango desert with the best mango sorbet we have ever tasted.
Come on Michelin give this place their second star after the food we had on Saturday they are more than worthy.

• Visited March 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
“A different class to anything else in Chester”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Its got a Michelin star and it deserves it.

Well presented, excellent quality food.

A highlight is the bread trolley with a selection of about 10 different delicious types of loaf freshly baked - just wonderful - a great idea more restaurants should copy.

The restaurant also does some excellent mid-week deals - so it doesn't have to totally break the bank.

• Visited November 2011