“Pre-Theatre Tea”
Review of The Bluebell 1494

The Bluebell 1494
Ranked #27 of 600 Restaurants in Chester
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

After half a day out in Chester, before we were due to go to the Storyhouse, we popped into Bluebell for something to eat.

We didn’t really know where to eat in Chester and felt quite overwhelmed with all of the options and it was only when we asked a lady in Paperchase for a suggestion that she mentioned Bluebell.

So we were shown to a lovely warm room in the cosy restaurant and served our menus.

We had a jug of sangria and around 3/4 tapas dishes per person.

The service was incredible and the young girl from South Africa seemed to be operating everything at the front of house with a smile and no delay in a packed out busy restaurant.

The food was delicious and definitely had a fresh taste. Our favourites were the omelette, manchego, mushrooms, patatas bravas and even the chips wowed. We also had the churros, marshmallow skewer and Eton mess for dessert. I think the marshmallows were the only slight disappointment, beautifully tasting but somewhat shop brought looking quality.

All in all a really lovely meal with great service in a timely manner.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (421)

Reviewed January 21, 2020

Had a lovely meal here with my partner. The food was amazing (especially the churros for dessert), really nice cosy vibe in the restaurant. Our waitress Selle was so friendly and the service was quick. Will definitely be coming back with a bigger group!

Reviewed January 19, 2020

Visited Chester for a weekend shopping trip with my daughter and had seen good reviews of this place. Thank goodness we booked a table earlier in the day as at 7.00 the place was busy and when we ordered we were advised that there would be a wait as a larger table had just ordered before us. Food was excellent the croquet potatoes with ham and manchego were delicious as were all the plates we tried and my daughter loved the sauce that came with the mushrooms. Would have scored a 5 except for the wait which to be fair we were told about and we weren’t in a rush but was about 50 minutes and the drink prices were quite steep. Would recommend though.

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

We went on a Sunday night and there was only two of us in. We had a shared a starter and each had our own paella’s. Everything was very tasty and full of flavour and cooked to perfection. The paella’s were a little too big and both of us could only consume half, and when going again would share one instead. The members of staff working were also great and very attentive.

Reviewed January 14, 2020

For years we have driven 2.5 hours from Fazeley in Staffordshire to Chester with a friend, for my Birthday meal in The Bluebell as in the past this has been an excellent place, with great food at good value and brilliant service from a great team. We are always reccomending it to friends.

However the Saturday just gone when we got there the place was empty. We ordered a meal and advised by the nice lady waiter, what to have that was not too spicy.

What we got was 3 lettuce leaves and a minute sea food cocktail that would have barely fed a child. My friend had the Peppers and we both had bread and Olive Oil.
The bread was nice, but the portion was very small.

When we got to the main meal, my firend had steak and prawns on a skewer and I had the beef on a skewer. The meat portions on each skewer were tiny, epsecially my friends which had only small bits at the bottom of the skewer.

We did not say anything at the time as I was being trated to a meal, but I could see that he was very disappointed; I pretended I was full just so my friend coild have some more meat from my plate!!

The bill came to nearly £63 (I am from the Hotel Trade and know that the amount of meat equated to no more than £5 - if I had served this, it would have been sent back with a complaint)

Our drinks were two orange juices and a cup of coffee (for myself the lady) and 2 beers for my friend the gentleman. We did not have a dessert.

After we left my friend asked me what I thought of the meal and I said - not a lot as the portions were too small, so that is why I gave you some of my dinner to beef up your portion. He said that this was the last time he would ever go there again!!
He said the place has really gone downhill since last year and the prices have shot up.

I wish I had had the money instead of the meal to buy a Birthday present instead.

Date of visit: December 2019