“Excellent dining Experience and very friendly”
Review of Olive Tree - CLOSED

Olive Tree
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree may be in Chester, nestled in the sumptuous womb of the Green Bough Hotel, a luxury Victorian townhouse hotel, but for all the world it can feel like you've been transported to Tuscany. Rich Italian wallpaper and beautiful Italianate oil paintings grace the walls. Happily, you can take your time absorbing the space - a table is yours once seated. Savoy-trained chef/patron Philip Martin brings together an eclectic mix of aromas and flavours in an extensive, weekly-changing menu of innovative dishes epitomised by assiette of seafood - a delightful offering of red mullet, brill and king scallops; and Mediterranean vegetables with goats' cheese and parmesan crust. On cold evenings, it's nice to sit nibbling canap��s by the smouldering 17th century lounge fireplace. Attentive service.
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We chose the Olive Tree on the basis of personal recommendations and a visit to the restraunt to celebrate my mothers 90th birthday. The group consisted of 7 of varying age groups from 23 to 90. All agreed that it was a thoroughly enjoyable visit.
The front of house staff without exception were very welcoming and friendly without being intrusive.
We were all more than happy with our menu choices, the food being served and presented very well with the standard of cooking being well above the average.
amuse buche and homemade complimentary bread were excellent touches.
The restaurant has a refined but traditional atmosphere about it with subdued background music which makes a pleasant change to the often loud music played at many restaurants these days.
The restaurant appeared to be virtually full on a Saturday night which is always a good sign.
A visit here will not leave you disappointed and is suitable for young couples upward

There are newer reviews for Olive Tree

Reviewed August 10, 2011

My partner and I ate here during our brief stay in Chester and were not diappointed! The food was well presented and delicous. Definately worth a visit!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Some friends had recommended the Olive Tree restaurant. We decided to have dinner there one Saturday evening, so we reserved a table for two. Upon arrival, we were ushered into the sitting room which was very comfortable with good quality, unobtrusive background music playing on the hifi system. Here, we were given the menu and wine list to view whilst sampling some very tasty hors d'oeuvres with our drink. We found the service to be warm and welcoming. After having made our selections, we were shown to our table in the main restaurant. We were made to feel comfortable at our table and we found the front of house team to be both attentive and friendly. The wine list was impressive as was the menu with a good selection of fish and meat dishes to chose from. The quality of the meal was first rate and I expect that we will return to this fine restaurant again in the near future. We found the overall dining experience to be very enjoyable and relaxing. It was nice to see that other diners tended to dress up for this restaurant as well. Whilst having to pay a little more here than our typical restaurant experience, we felt that the Olive Tree did meet our expectations and was therefore worth it. Enjoy.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

This restaurant is trying to be a stand alone establishment but is really attached to a "boutique" B and B on the outskirts of Chester. It thinks it is great but I don't. It is style over substance and the venison was tough as old boots; and judging by the way it was exchanged for the lamb, this was ...... my fault!?
We ate here only because we were staying at the guest house and it was convenient; it is near nothing except other cheaper; more honest lodging houses and a ghastly "Sizzler Steak House type chain pub"; which would not be out of place on the outskirts of a Hull Council Estate.

Good Points.

Wine List.

1  Thank BillRusling10
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I wanted a surprise special occasion for my wife's 60th birthday and knew I could rely on Philip and his team to fulfil my wishes. James helped me put together a special 3 course menu, and choose the wine. He and his colleagues kept in touch with me right through and Laura was a great help when flowers were delivered a week early!!
On the day, they decided to give us a table for ten in the front room of the restaurant, which was just ideal. We were undisturbed and relaxed, enjoying our meal until midnight.
When we arrived Derry helped maintain the surprise for my wife right up until she entered the restaurant. He and his team then went on to give us a perfect and professional service throughout the evening.
We really did have a perfect evening, with excellent food and service, all for a very modest price. This is the second occasion we have celebrated at the Olive Tree Restaurant, and I can't praise them enough.