“Weekend trip to chester” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holly House Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Holly House Guest House
Ranked #42 of 81 Chester B&B and Inns
Stoke
“Weekend trip to chester”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We had found this b n b on booking.com. We arrived and parking was available which is a big plus! It is nicely located about 15 minutes walk into chester so a nice distance. Breakfast was very good lots of choice and the cook breakfast was yummy! Rooms were comfy and clean. Nice and quiet for night time. And we were able to come and go as we pleased. Would recommend this place to others

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Price04
Holly_House_Chester, Manager at Holly House Guest House, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you very much for your valuable review.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Holly House and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Derby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Let me first start this what I am sure will be a long review by explaining that all reviews I have ever left on tripadvisor for all destinations I have visited have been totally accurate and true. I use tripadvisor to help me and also to help others.
Ok, this is the first negative review I have ever left and having stayed twice previous at Holly House I am in a good position to compare with the past.
I enquired about availability for the 23rd-25th April at the end on December 2013, specifically requesting the Annex that we had stayed in twice previously with our grandson, we stated that he was now 10 years of age.
Due to refurbishment work I was told I couldn't book until 13th January which I subsequently did and also had to pay the full £170 which I had never had to do before but did and received a confirmation invoice to say I had paid in full.
On arrival I was told there was a problem, the people in the Annex had extended their stay and it wasn't available to us but we could have two rooms in the Guest House at no extra cost. Obviously that was not acceptable as this meant our 10 year old grandson being on his own. In fairness the gentleman rang the owner who after offering accommodation in another Guest House seemed to agree that we had booked it some four months earlier, paid in full and had a young child with us, that's why we booked a family room.
They agreed to move the occupants to other rooms and give us the room we had paid for. I give credit to the gentleman and lady who run the Guest House for the owner, they were sympathetic to our predicament and sorted everything and got the room ready for us, quoting they had to do what the owner wanted.
I truly am grateful for what they did but they fell well short of what we have ever experienced in a Guest House. Breakfast on both days had issues and yes it is also our fault for not bringing it to their attention, we don't like to complain but also appreciated they were trying their best. My wife ordered scambled eggs on toast, I'm sure like me you'd expect fluffy eggs on toast, no this looked like an attempt at an omelette but looked more like a 'cow pat'. On the second day as a result beans on toast was ordered which came cold. We didn't want to make an issue in front of our grandson who said "why are the beans cold"
I have to say on both days I had the full English which was very good along with the homemade preserves for the toast, also very good. As I say the effort was there but these things let it down.
Another point which really surprised us was that we were left to make our own beds and bins were not emptied. Whilst I am not opposed to making beds at home, normally this is something you expect and the rooms cleaned each day when you pay £85 a night. Having to make beds after a day out was not what we expected or indeed have never experienced before.
On leaving the gentleman and lady gave us a pot of homemade jam that was really nice of them and my grandson thought the jam was lovely, it was. As much as they try, I think a Guest House to the quality of Holly House we knew in the past is beyond them, also in the past the owner has been direct, their place on site so to speak, not now as I understand.
Our stay in Chester was excellent but if we ever return it most definitely will not be at Holly House, our previous first choice.
Sorry for the long winded review but I do not want you to experience the same.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank keithmorley
The Holly House is in blossom - and not only because it’s spring.

We give some credit to your really long review (boring to details at some points) as a TA community member with a few contributions.

However, when we met you we tought we were welcoming a Gentleman. Now, we feel you’re taking a personal revenge with your nit-picking review that’s full of exaggregation.
Yes, we had a few issues on your arrival as we’re trying to please everyone at the same time. The thing we’ve overseen was put right there and then and the new staff got a bit more training.

We’re sorry to hear you’re not returning.
Let us highlight one positive thing from your text: “I had the full English which was very good along with the homemade preserves for the toast, also very good.”
We encourage everyone to come try our full English (or other choices) and stay at our nice guest house bearing in mind, there is no place where people work and no errors are made.
We are working hard to avoid these.
We may refer to the numerous positive reviews left by our lovely guests in the guest book and here on TA, too.
If only the hard copy guest book got the same publicity as TA reviews.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

After nearly thirty years of travelling for business and staying in hotels and B&Bs around the country, this is the first time I've felt so motivated to warn people off somewhere. I was charged £70 for single occupancy of a very crummy double room for one night. The owners clearly don't have a realistic idea about how their guest house compares to others. It's one of the worst places I've ever stayed in, and certainly the most overpriced. Very bad value! Don't go there!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephen T
This is the most unfair, defamatory review we've ever seen.WeI even contacted TA to stop such people freely leaving silly reviews on a TA site without consequences.

This person booked in 2 weeks prior to his arrival asking for a DOUBLE room, without mentioning it would be single occupancy. At the time of making the reservation, he also paid for it in full over the phone. Finally, he arrived alone. He took the room, stayed for one night, had breakfast and left with a fake smile, gossiping out that he normally stays at one of our neighbouring guest house (strange..).

Why we think this review is utterly unfair?

1. At the time of booking, we had the single room available, he could have had it for a reasonable £40. We must point out, he did not ask for a single but a double.
2. He raised no objections when we quoted him a price, he paid for it at his own discretion, under no pressure whatsoever. He also had almost two weeks to change his mind and cancel the booking.
3. He raised no objections when we gave him the key to the room nor he asked for a refund/reimbursement before or after taking the room. Any reasonable person would have raised an immediate complaint, which we could have resolved on the spot.

Can you belive that this person has found the worst ever room in his 30 years of travelling? And this is a double room in a 4 star GH?? Nonsense.

Let me tell you an example: You choose a sublime Michelin-starred famous restaurant to book and prepay for a four course meal for two people. You have it all alone, you wouldn’t say a word when leaving and go home gorged, sneaking to your computer to leave a review:”The meal was pig swill. I just wanted a fish and chips”
How would the restaurant manager feel? Is it a fair, valuable review from a reasonable customer? I belive it’s not.

How can you compare the opinion of a Quality Assessor to the word „crummy” as the person described it all? Is it a fair, valuable review from a reasonable customer? I belive it’s not.
Here is a quotation from the latest official Visitbritain report about our rooms:
“ Bedrooms
The bedrooms are comfortable in size and electric sockets are well placed for ease of use.
Decoration is well maintained and new feature wallpaper adds depth as does wall relief . Free
standing solid furniture is of mixed style and quality , keeping with style of property, offering
appropriate levels of storage for occupancy numbers - wood hangers noted. Furnishings are
co-ordinated with curtains offering full blackout and drape. Controllable heating and well
balanced lighting allows guest to choose their optimum comfort levels. Beds tested offered full
support and are dressed with freshly laundered linen and plump pillows and duvets. Well dressed
with care taken over final presentation. Carpets continue to be soft underfoot and without visible
wear. Accessories continue to show consideration for customer requirements with some modern
audio equipment in place. Well presented house information which is presented on bed for arrival
to ensure usage.”

In closing, we must add, we take this person calling our room "crummy" as an insult. The room that have been occupied by hundreds of happy, satisfied couples, guests. Our guest house is assessed by the 'Quality in Tourism' board and it always earns the four star grade. We've recently refurbished our rooms to keep up with high standards.

We would also refer to the positive reviews left by over 150 satisfied guests who stayed with us in the past and many of them return regularly.
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here one night, very comfortable, lovely breakfast and in easy walk to the walls and centre
Mercedes was very friendly and helpful and breakfast included home made jams and pancakes if required.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rockingh
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Have to agree with many of the other reviews, Mercedes is so pleasant and unassuming you would enjoy your stay if it was in a cardboard box !
Definitely not a cardboard box of course, very nice breakfast, comfortable room with lots of little extras provided.
Very handy for walk or regular 53 bus to centre. Easy parking.
Just for info, Hoole is a nice little area and if you walk down Faulkner st there are some very ni ce local shops.
No hesitation to recommend staying here.
Thank you Mercedes and I hope you enjoyed Christines electricity course....

Eddie n Christine

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank eddie846
Anglesey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed last weekend and enjoyed our stay. We were in the annex which was a little fresh, but nice enough once we got the heaters fired up. Mercedes is a friendly and helpful hostess, and the little touches like homemade preserves etc mean we will return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Holyhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed her for a night over in Chester last weekend. We had the Annex and our friends the upstairs double. The accommodation is clean and comfortable, the standout memory here is the fantastic service provided by the lovely Mercedes. She was fantastic from the start, We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple