“Amazing Hotel, staff, rooms and cocktails” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Oddfellows
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel, staff, rooms and cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Oddfellows is the best hotel in Chester. Myself and my fiancée go quite regularly usually for a nice cocktail or a nice bottle of bubbly. The staff including the Hotel Manager and Assistant Hotel Manager are very nice and assist with requests and really make you feel special. We have recently had a Birthday party there and they were so accommodating; the friends which attended were amazed by the service and called it "First Class". The Cocktails......well where do I begin? We have had a few numbers on the list and all have astounded us; Matious in particular produces some of the finest drinks I have ever had.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the staff for all their hard work and I look forward to seeing you soon.

To anyone who is reading this review go and experience the amazing food, wine and service......you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I booked here for 10 girls on a hen weekend in June. I the booked the afternoon tea As a suprise for the hen. We were greeted annd taken into the garden ver ly quirky, we had cocktails whilst we waited for our table as we were early. We were then called in and we couldn't believe our eyes it was like walking into the set of Alice and Wonderland. The food and service was out of this world. I have left lots of hints with my fiance to take me to the restaurant next time. A very good day had by all.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights at this fabulous hotel. We stayed in a classic room which has everything you need to hand. The hotel is gorgeous and quirky in design and the rooftop garden was lovely on a summers day. The best thing about the hotel is the staff, they made the stay, nothing was too much trouble. We took our little girl and they were fab with her too. Will definitely return to this hotel and will be recommending to friends and family too. Thanks!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This always used to be one of my favourite places in Chester, but over the past 6/12 months , the quality has deteriorated - it is still a great place to go & have a drink in the gardens on a sunny day (although be prepared to pay for the privilege - drinks are quite dear!)

The service & quality of food here is not what it used to be: I have had 2 disappointing experiences lately that I will mention

(A) afternoon tea - don't bother!! It is bulky bridge rolls (every filling smothered in mayo), and rock hard scones & brownies - there are other venues who offer much better quality

(B) lunch - whilst there appeared to actually be more staff than diners, it was difficult to get anyone's attention, the food was mediocre & the main was served on cold plates, with dessert served on warm plates - go figure!!

I will be back to drink wine in the beautiful gardens but will not be eating here again, too many better places in Chester & the sooner the venue realise that, hopefully, the better!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My daughter held her wedding reception here last Saturday - a lovely time, staff extremely helpful & quietly courteous throughout. They did so much to make sure everything was just right. It's a beautifully decorated and furnished hotel (bedrooms included) and the function rooms needed no extra embellishments. The outside terrace was lovely.
The food was excellent - many guests commented on it's quality.
I've had so many comments from our guests about how much they enjoyed Oddfellows and it's location right in the middle of town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 50KAP
Richb--ch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I attended a wedding here and was amazed at the place.

The service by Rick Rainey and his team of Josh, Rebbecca, Rachel and Mattius (memory man extraordinaire) was impressive in its painstaking and understated precision, They would sneak up on you with food and drink, if you asked for something it arrived, brilliant.

The venue it's self is magical, all of the rooms are themed and different the function areas are an eclectic mix that makes you feel your in Wonderland and Alice will run past any second. The main and oldest part leads to an open "garden" area where tables are in open garden sheds and the back bar area is a stylised potting shed, it's so much more than it sounds.

The food was delicious and presented to fine dining standards.

I can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: If you want old world ask for the rooms in the main building if you want an adventure ask for one in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richb--ch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 5 minutes late for an afternoon booking, there were two large tables but one left as we arrived, apart from that the restaurant was empty. We had to wait for our table to be laid and then we where seated by a very nice though slightly frazzled waiter. It took a while to get a menu and we had to ask for a wine menu but finally after 20 minutes we placed our order. Smoked salmon and a Caesar salad. Half an hour later they arrived. At this point the waitess who took the order came to top up our wine. She managed to drip condensation from the bottle all over my salad, so much so I had to lift the plate to which she made no comment or adjustment and she filled the glass to the brim. Then she had brought the wrong starter for my partner and took it away without much apology, iI think she must have been having a very bad day as she was quite surly. When it finally came back my husband was pleased with the salmon as it had a delicious though unmentioned salmon pâté with it. My chicken Caesar was nothing special, it lacked croutons and had a very sparse amount of dressing which I notice the next table asked for more of but the chicken was tender. The main course of pork loin was good though again uninspired and a few of the roast potates were badly burnt. The highlight was the brownie with tiramisu ice cream, delicious. Overall it was ok. £ 19.50 for three courses, nice setting, mixed service and ok food. I would go back but my husband would be reluctant.

• Stayed August 2013