“Very good - but some things odd”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oddfellows

Oddfellows
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Chester
vienna
“Very good - but some things odd”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I spent a night in one of the suites - quirky design, big fluffy comfy bed, bathtub in the bedroom, shower in the downstairs bath.Lovely ! It's a pity the breakfast comes in a bag to your doorknob, but the Contents are fresh and of very good quality. Even more a pity that nobody told me about it when checking in, I only learned it by accident and still managed to order it. Exciting design is fine and important for me - BUT! it can be annoying if it's far over the practical : very little light and no electric plug for the hair-dryer around the mirror. My major Problem came with the check-out though : the young Lady had no idea how to print the invoice. I wanted to have the Hotel Header and my name & address on it - she tried to explain to me that it isn't possible. She couldn't manage it for 20 minutes and I had to leave, but together with her colleague they promised to send it to my address. It never happened - after two weeks of waiting I had to phone and ask again. The Lady who welcomed me when I arrived to the Hotel was very ncie and competent, but they need to train their personal better. If the check-out is a Major nuisance you'll leave the best Hotel with a bitter taste...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Blackburn
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Myself and partner stayed for 1 night after a day at the races.
The hotel was excellently situated for the racecourse and centre.
The staff were helpful and friendly & the reception area was good.
The room was an attic room, was nicely furnished & clean.
Only downside was the room was a bit warm & a little noisy from a function on the floor below.
Thankfully we were very tired from a full day at the races that we had a good nights sleep in the comfy bed.
Overall I would recommend the hotel for a reasonably priced city break

• Stayed June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I cant tell you how upset and gutted I am to write this bad review. Firstly the Hotel is beautiful, it is quirky, modern and well put together. It gave us loads of ideas for our own home and there was more than one aspect we talked about using. It was the perfect venue to have a romantic but modern and unusual break for our 2nd anniversary. The food and drinks were great and made a pleasant addition to our stay. We had a really lovely time and were planning our next trip back, this was until we came to check out!!
When we checked in we gave our debit card details so they could put a hold the room rate and the £75 deposit in our bank account. On check out we were then advised they would charge again for the room rate and also add the food and drinks we had. This would then mean we had covered the room rate twice! We were told "don't worry" the funds for the deposit and the room rate already held would be refunded back into the account. Seemed strange but we handed over our card and settled the bill. We then asked when to expect the money as we had other things planned that day for our anniversary. We were told it would be 10 days before we would see anything!!
Firstly 10 days is a long time to refund anything and secondly they already had the funds for the room so why keep hold of it as well.
We asked to speak to the manager as you can imagine we were stunned. The manager told us it was company policy to deal with the bill this way and it was common practice in most hotels! (I beg to differ as this has never been a policy in any hotel I've ever been in.) We then asked why this wasn't made clear upon check in as we would never have stayed as it would leave us short for our other plans. I also pointed out that I had worked in finance and banking for 15 years and nothing has ever taken 10 days to clear when refund is processed. He started to back track and said it may actually be 3 days not 10! We'll see what happens tomorrow! The manager while empathised with the situation did absolutely nothing to help. We had been mislead and that was the end of that.
Due to the way they billed us we then had no choice but to go home and we spent the rest of our anniversary on the sofa rather than doing the things I had planned out. We were truly truly gutted. After having such a lovely time in great surroundings for it to be completely spoilt by a ridiculous policy made up for the benefit of the hotel only. Even the manager said that we weren't the first people to have a problem with this. Such a shame such a nice hotel but we wont be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Nina H
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just go and visit this bar, coolest in Chester

Should be listed as a tourist attraction along with Chester Zoo and the others

Great Fun, Great Service and I will give it a go for drinks soon, I only drank on the day.

Manchester or Liverpool have nothing to compare with this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
England
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Oddfellowes for one evening in June for a short break. The hotel was really clean and well presented. The staff were of five star calibre.

We paid a little extra for a round room. Round bed and furniture etc. It was pretty cool. The bed was huge. The TV was large and everything was decorated with luxury in mind.

There was also a cool take away breakfast that was hung on the door handle the next morning. Another quirky Oddfellows treat.

From the staff to the unusual AstroTurf garden this hotel is great.

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had booked my mother in laws 60th Birthday celebrations here on the 15th of June. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty and nothing was too much trouble. We had own reserved area by the beautiful themed garden area, where are orders were taken and where we relaxed having pre-dinner drinks. We were then escorted up stairs to own dining room (there were 18 guests in all) were we had complete privacy in luxurious surroundings. Nothing was too much trouble, the food was exquisite, the staff were fantastic and catered for our every need. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the GM, her assistant Mo and our waiter Mike who made sure all our party were well looked after! I would definately recommend Oddfellows.
Hayley1301

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here on Friday 14th June 2013. We arrived at the hotel at 1pm, the room wasn't ready so they said they would keep hold of our bags and take them to our room when it was ready and we could check in at 3pm which wasn't a problem.

We went back at 3.45 and the bags was in our beautiful room. We stayed in the Newbrook loft -room 17 which was lovely. The bed was huge and it was spotlessly clean everywhere. They provide shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hair dryer etc. The showers are huge double power showers which are amazing.

We went down stairs to have a drink and sat outside in the lovely gardens. Unfortunatly it had been raining quite hard and all cushions had to be moved but it would of been lovely to sit out when the sun was shining and have something to eat.

Everything about the hotel was really quirky and unusual.

The next morning I asked for more milk as the one they provide is very small for 4 cups of coffee and this was delivered within 2 minutes.

Our "breakfast to go" was ready outside our room which consisted of 2 croissants, 2 apples, 2 yogurts and 2 orange juices which was lovely but we did have our full english breakfast at a cafe just up the road.

The only downside I can think of it that it was a little noisy at night time due to our room being right near the bar area outside but other than that it was absolutley gorgeous and I would deffinatly go there again. I booked with Bookings.com which was also a lot cheaper than booking through the hotel direct. We also parked on Pepper Street car park (2 minutes around the corner from the hotel) which was £12 for 24 hours. The hotel gave us a voucher for the car park which then knocked it down to just £6.50 which was fab!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple