“Oddly Awesome”
Review of Oddfellows

Oddfellows
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Oddfellowes for one evening in June for a short break. The hotel was really clean and well presented. The staff were of five star calibre.

We paid a little extra for a round room. Round bed and furniture etc. It was pretty cool. The bed was huge. The TV was large and everything was decorated with luxury in mind.

There was also a cool take away breakfast that was hung on the door handle the next morning. Another quirky Oddfellows treat.

From the staff to the unusual AstroTurf garden this hotel is great.

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had booked my mother in laws 60th Birthday celebrations here on the 15th of June. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty and nothing was too much trouble. We had own reserved area by the beautiful themed garden area, where are orders were taken and where we relaxed having pre-dinner drinks. We were then escorted up stairs to own dining room (there were 18 guests in all) were we had complete privacy in luxurious surroundings. Nothing was too much trouble, the food was exquisite, the staff were fantastic and catered for our every need. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the GM, her assistant Mo and our waiter Mike who made sure all our party were well looked after! I would definately recommend Oddfellows.
Hayley1301

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here on Friday 14th June 2013. We arrived at the hotel at 1pm, the room wasn't ready so they said they would keep hold of our bags and take them to our room when it was ready and we could check in at 3pm which wasn't a problem.

We went back at 3.45 and the bags was in our beautiful room. We stayed in the Newbrook loft -room 17 which was lovely. The bed was huge and it was spotlessly clean everywhere. They provide shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hair dryer etc. The showers are huge double power showers which are amazing.

We went down stairs to have a drink and sat outside in the lovely gardens. Unfortunatly it had been raining quite hard and all cushions had to be moved but it would of been lovely to sit out when the sun was shining and have something to eat.

Everything about the hotel was really quirky and unusual.

The next morning I asked for more milk as the one they provide is very small for 4 cups of coffee and this was delivered within 2 minutes.

Our "breakfast to go" was ready outside our room which consisted of 2 croissants, 2 apples, 2 yogurts and 2 orange juices which was lovely but we did have our full english breakfast at a cafe just up the road.

The only downside I can think of it that it was a little noisy at night time due to our room being right near the bar area outside but other than that it was absolutley gorgeous and I would deffinatly go there again. I booked with Bookings.com which was also a lot cheaper than booking through the hotel direct. We also parked on Pepper Street car park (2 minutes around the corner from the hotel) which was £12 for 24 hours. The hotel gave us a voucher for the car park which then knocked it down to just £6.50 which was fab!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Booked a one-night stay here for our first wedding anniversary. Our room wasn't ready on arrival so we went straight to the restaurant for afternoon tea. After biting into one of the sandwiches I was disgusted to find mould all over the bread - completely unacceptable anywhere, let alone a restaurant that is affiliated with a chef who has a Michelin star at the Chester Grosvenor. Told the waiter who quickly took the rest of the sandwiches away, leaving the mouldy one in front of me on my plate. He muttered something about replacing them without even asking if we wanted any more, which we didn't. I managed to find him a couple of minutes later by the kitchen and told him that we didn't want anything else as were pretty disgusted and as I walked away I heard the chef shout, "They don't want it now?!" Shortly afterwards when we walked back to reception to ask if we could check in, the waiter was telling the lady behind the desk (who I am presuming was the manager on duty) what had happened. However, to our surprise she didn't mention a single word about it to us - no apology, nothing - and acted as if nothing had happened as she walked us back through the restaurant to the outside building and showed us into our room. There were plenty of opportunities for her to apologise etc but instead she chose to ignore it. It was only when we went back to reception about 20 minutes when I asked her where we could find somewhere else to eat that she said, "Oh yes, I heard what happened. I'm really sorry. Don't worry, it's been dealt with." I've no doubt that if I hadn't of made a point about wanting to find somewhere else to eat that she wouldn't have said anything. Fortunately on our return to the hotel that evening, the guy on reception (a different manager on duty?) approached us to apologise about what had happened and offered us a free drink or breakfast, which we were grateful for. At least someone at Oddfellows knows how to deal with situations in a professional way. We had a free drink that evening - didn't feel like taking them up on breakfast - but it didn't make up for what had happened and the way it was dealt with.
The hotel looks great with its quirky decor, it's just a shame that our experience was tainted from our arrival as it did put a dampner on things and I'm not entirely sure I would rush back here again.
Beware of eating the crisps in the room (I ate a bag to get rid of the mouldy bread) as we were charged £3.70 for them the next day!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nifsh
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My daughter and boyfriend took us here for a brunch on a saturday. They had a wedding the night before and it showed in the service and standard of food. Ordered 3 full breakfasts and 1 poached egg with hollandaise. Cups milk sugar arrived .....no tea waited 10 mins then asked politely where was the tea. It finally arrived just before the breakfasts ,but even before the plates were put on the table had to send back..missing beans. Poached eggs arrived and sent back because yolk was hard !! Another 10 mins passed and we were still waiting for toast to go with full english. Manager informed us it would not be long. Poached eggs arrived but had so much vinegar in the dish was unedable. Only half the toast arrived and just when we had decided to ask for bill another round of toast arrived. Told the waitress we did not want it. For a place that charges £12 for a full english i would of expected better service and quailty of food. Spoke to manager who told us we would not be charged for our brunch.
Such a shame as it looks a lovely building. Check wether they have had a function on if trying for a brunch.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank alison t
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Having a night to escape we chose Oddfellows after reading several complimentary reviews and I have to say I'm always attracted to fancy décor, the photos made it look just the perfect getaway for a night.
Upon arrival my slight disappointment with the position/façade, on a busy road, was soon thrown away once we got inside. Quirky, imaginative décor, the staff greeted us very politely and were very attentive, although our room wasn't quite ready (as we had arrived at 11.30) which was understandable. The staff promptly looked after our luggage, perhaps a complimentary drink whilst we waited for our room would have settled us in? We chose to go off and explore the city centre which was right on the doorstep. Once we arrived back, the staff showed us to our room, which was a nice gesture. The room was delightful! a roll top bath (if a little bit of a squeeze for two!) in the room, got our romantic getaway off to a nice start. Lovely décor, dressing gowns and bathroom facilities. There was only a couple of niggles and I find this in several hotels. There never seems to be a plug near the main dressing table mirror? So I ended up sitting on the floor in front of the full length mirror in order to use my hair straighteners. The other was the large bins being emptied early the following morning which broke up our hope of a lie in, but I guess the bins have to be emptied at some time and you cant please everyone all the time.
Above all though the hotel room was delightful and made a last minute escape for the night feel like a real treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from where the bins get emptied to avoid an early wake up call.