“Oddfellows restaurant” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Oddfellows restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was unfortunate enough to experience a meal at Oddfellows restaurant the night of Chester Races. I have to say that I am no food critic, as long as it is tasty and looks ok, then I am happy. However, the meal that we had was truly truly terrible ! ! The starter, im not exactly sure what it was but I have had far far superior meat in a ginsters pasty. The main course was very small, over cooked and truly terrible also, suffice to say we did not stay for desert. We were a party of 10 people, they kept us waiting for 20 minutes before taking us to our table, with no apology. Service was terrible, to pay £15 for olives and £10 for bread is an insult, especially when the food is so bad. I have never complained before, but was compelled to, the waiter said that the chef was not available to come out to see us, I asked for the manager who did finally arrive, was not apologetic, only to say that the chef was upstairs catering for a party of 100 people, the sous chef was doing all the restaurant meals.............................! ! !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mark j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
leics
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Fabulous stayed Sunday night the bedroom was superb, lovely roll top bath next to the bed with full en suite. Was spotlessly clean well worth 5stars. Was right in the centre of where we wanted to be just a short walk from shops and restaurants.*****

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
desert_rose10
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here earlier this week for my fiance's birthday and really enjoyed it. I got a great deal on Late Rooms and opted for the Newbrook room which, complete with a 360 degree round bed, was absolutely great. They seemed to have thought of every little detail and we especially loved the Nespresso machine in the morning. The staff were friendly and welcoming - I'm only sad we didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant. My only complaint was the takeaway breakfast (a bag is delivered outside your door with orange juices, apples and a small pastry), which when considering the cost of the room, it would have been nice to have received a full size croissant at least. We still felt quite hungry afterwards.

All in all, it's a great boutique hotel and we would definitely visit again for another special occasion.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Have been here several times with my partner & had a gorgeous meal usually washed down with great choice of wines. On my most recent visit i had "use the cubicle" bit of the toilets ( if you know what i mean!). The first toilet was that heavily soiled in matter i almost threw up & the 2nd had no lock do there i was in the middle of Chester with a huge problem. I have never experienced this ever in my life in a 5star establishment & shows a clear lack of attentiveness to very basic issues. This is very off putting for diners too who should expect a higher standard of hygiene when paying huge amounts at such a venue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Thelobsterman
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I had our wedding reception at Odfellows on the 4th August and it was the best day of our lives by far.

The venue was absolutely perfect and the staff had gone to great lengths to ensure everything was just how we wanted it laid out. The wedding breakfast was delicious, as was the buffet in the evening.

All staff were very attentive and helpful and delivered food and a bottle of champagne to our room for us which was a pleasant surprise.

Oddfellows has gone through a recent renovation which has made it even better. It is a quirky venue with lots of nice touches that you don't always spot immediately. The secret garden is superb and there are lots of interesting photo opportunities in the hotel.

We booked the four older rooms on the top floor and they were great. These rooms have lots of character and are beautifully decorated.

We were overjoyed with Oddfellows as our wedding reception venue and would highly recommend it. We will be visiting Oddfellows more often to try out the menu and reminisce over our perffect day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fay040812
Sarah D, Guest Relations Manager at Oddfellows, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Congratulations again! We hope you see you again on your one year anniversary!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Wow!!! Superb treat for myself and my girlfriend. Amazing boutique/bespoke interior design, cool secret garden and whole experience and hotel service, friendliness and cleanliness-perfect 10/10!! Would definitely recommend to others, already have done and will definitely return and have a spa next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please keep an eye on our website for more exciting offers.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I just spent two nights at Oddfellows Chester whilst visiting friends, after reading all the comments on trip advisor I felt compelled to write on here as it seems that management at Oddfellows haven't learnt by their mistakes! On check in the staff were really unhelpful and didn't give us any information about the hotel, i.e. breakfast options if any, the front door being locked at what time etc so we had to find this out for ourselves! Also on check in they wanted to pre authorise a enormous amount of money, I expect a credit card to be taken at most hotels but not a preauthorisation of nearly £500 for two nights, I refused and then just had to pay up front for the room charges.

We stayed in a classic double, it's very well decorated like most of the hotel, but very snug and the beds are too small for two large adults, the bathroom doesn't have a separate door, it's a shared shower door and bathroom door, which is a good space saving idea but slightly uncomfortable in terms of privacy and hygiene in my opinion. The air conditioning was rubbish making it extremely hot in the room, this for me was the worse issue, as it prevented me from sleeping along with the soft mattress dipping in the middle massively. We had been travelling all week so had a lot of baggage and there is no lift or on hand help with bags so we had to also do this all ourselves. In all I thought this hotel was over priced, they seemed to have spent all their money on furnishings and decoration instead of staff training and fundamentals like comfort for your guest are out the window, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others there are better options for the same price in Chester.

Stayed August 2012