“Great dinner - burnt off the calories in our sauna of a bedroom!”
Review of Oddfellows

Oddfellows
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Chester
West Yorks
“Great dinner - burnt off the calories in our sauna of a bedroom!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The style of the Oddfellows is exceptional. It is full of quirky decor ideas, a fabulous garden bar and a restaurant with good quality food and service. As a dinner venue I would strongly recommend it.
Our first room looked lovely on the surface. We had a premium double room spread over 2 stories. The room looked great but practically was rather a nightmare! Ladies, if you wash your hair, there is a complimentary hairdryer to use but find a mirror near a plug - oh no! I had to contort myself to dry and straighten my hair in the reflection of the tissue box. The upstairs sleeping area was very small partly due to the bath at the end of the bed. This came at the expense of a chair so no where to put your clothes or damp towel (other than in the bath). The room we stayed in was in the new build section in the garden. With its triple glazing and insulation it was baking on a summers evening. Our treat bottle of champagne bobbed in a bucket of luke warm water (the ice had melted) and wasn't worth drinking.Unfortunately, even with the rather pathetic aircon running at 17degrees from our 6pm arrival the room was still an oven at 11pm. The night manager kindly moved us to another room further down the building which was slightly cooler and we managed to open the window an inch.
Breakfast is not really included - if a pastry on a brown paper bag on your door handle counts then fine but that is more of the experience received in a £60 aparthotel. For the £215 per room, a proper breakfast should really be included rather than the gesture of £5 towards the £20 fry up and coffee.
I suppose what is disappointing is that for a top end, well designed hotel the level of going the extra mile was poor. We had a terrible nights sleep, had advised the team and there was no real apology as we checked out.
We won't be back which is a shame because it could be great.

Room Tip: Don't pack any PJ's its too warm!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mooseville
Sarah D, Guest Relations Manager at Oddfellows, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We were very pleased to hear that you loved the decor and restaurant. It's only through customer feed back that we fine tune our operation. I'm sorry to hear that on this occasion we feel short of your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

stayed and had a fab time booked two rooms and both were lovely staff very helpfull would recomend it to all who go to chester go and stay we had a small child and they helped with all luggage both on arivall and departing

1 Thank TheBlackBull17
We are really glad you loved the hotel. Please visit us again soon.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

After hearing about the relaunch of Oddfellows I decided it was time to treat my partner to a romantic meal.

We had high expectations because of the link with Simon Radley of the Grosvenor, and we wasn't disappointed.

After starting with a drink in the bar we were seated at lovely table looking out at the garden.

After looking at the tapas menu in the bar, I thought I'd made my mind up on what I was having to start - chicken with a red pepper hummus, but after browsing over the al-a-carte menu at the table I decided on the diver scallop with salt fish pate. My partner opted for the carpaccio of tuna. When they arrived they looked elegantly prepared and the taste didn't disappoint either. My partner couldn't have picked a better starter for herself, it was light and looked amazing, even if the price was slightly steep.

For mains we both went for the Bharja, lamb rump with cracked wheat. We went for this as it sounded so unusual and I must say its one of the best lamb dishes we've ever had. Lamb cooked perfectly with the choice of herbs and spices complimenting the dish.

My wife was too full for desert but I couldn't pass on the opportunity to try the Catalan Orange polenta cake, which was something I'd never tried before - I'm glad I didn't. All I could say is you need to try it for yourself.

The bill came to £78.50 including a bottle of wine.

All in all I think the decor is great, and the food we had was superb. I would recommend to anyone to go and try what we had.

The only downfall for us was that there is no parking available.

Eccleston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

After dining at Oddfellows around this time last year and being decidedly unimpressed with both the meal and service, I was surprised to receive a recommendation from a family friend, he had recently been for a meal and could not speak more highly of the fantastic food and service. To say the very least we were not disappointed. My partner and I were greeted warmly by the staff at the bar area and shown to our table, service was fantastic and the food was, I'd say, the best that I have ever had at a restaraunt. We both decided to have the rib eye steak - we enjoy our steak rare and it was cooked beautifully.
The resteraunt was a lovely intimate venue, with a beautiful, quirky secret garden - the refurbishment has entirely transformed the place and the new chef created an exquisite menu.
Overall we really enjoyed our meal and the service was fabulous, we highly recommend Oddfellows.

4 Thank VickiMark82
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My Partner took me to the hotel for a nice weekend we only stayed one night in the hotel, which included a bottle of champange and chocolates and the evening meal.

This was the night that my partner offically proposed to me via the notepad on the desk. So you can imagin that it was supposed to be a romantic stay in the hotel.

This all started off great the room was lovely enough, champagne on ice and we then went down for our evening meal. This seems to be where it all went downhill. There was a hair in my partners starter, and were not offered anything other than an apology and the akwardness with the staff.

After our meal which was pre booked and paid for with the room, we rose to leave the table only to add our embarrasement to be chased out of the restaurant and bar as if we had not paid. We had a email booking with the repeptionist that seated us and also advised them of the room number as we were seated.

On returning to the room after a few drinks around chester the weathers was not particularly great as always in england, raining. So if your staying in Room 5 the window design meant that there was a constant dripping on the window ledge which was quite loud as the bed was next to the window. At an attempt to stop the dripping we opened the window which did stop the dripping however then you have the constant murmering of the fan outside the window. As well as that inconsiderate loud staff members who used the area as a smoking area which meant that all the smoke came through the window, so we had the decision smoke and murmering of fan or the constant drip. Subsiquently me and my partner only had one hours sleep.

It doesnt stop there !

In the morning getting ready to go out the fira alarm went off so we quickly got dressed and went downstairs to find that the fire door at the bottom of the stairs was still locked and not linked in with the fire alarm which is a fire hazard. We then proceeded to exit the hotel to be told we were going the wrong way as there were no signs to advise us.

The staff were unhelpful and although the issue was unavoidable no one opted to tell the guests what was happening and how long it was going to take. Luckly at this point it was not raining, one guest proceeded into the hotel to find out what was happening but was told to leave and we would be allowed back in once the alarm as stopped.

On returning to our room we continued to get ready to leave the hotel only for the electricity to continue to trip out.

We checked out again to not be offered an explanation, or apology on the events that morning nor were we asked how our stay was in which she would have had the full story you have just read. So my partner was rather annoyed and decided that would email the hotel upon our return. he did this twice with no responce so he then called the hotel for the complaints or head office to be told that he had actually emailed the right place but it was never recieved and if he sent it again she would respond asap - we never recieved a response.

The hotel is lovely to look at however the staff, and everything else are pretty awful ! Very overprised and disappointing

Room Tip: Avoid Room 5 !
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kea F
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We arrived early and were greeted by staff at reception and shown to our room. The staff really are a cut above and all immaculate .

The room in the new building was stunning. The garden area was a delight with automatic rain covers and heaters for the evening. Breakfast was excellent and again waiting staff superb. We will come and stay here when in Chester and will recommend to our friends. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phil B
North Wales
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at Oddfellows for the 4th time this weekend, to crash after a day at the races. The rooms are fantastic, I have stayed in both suites, and my only reservation is that the loos are in tiny cupboards in both suites, quite claustrophobic even for me at 5'5"! The new rooms in the extension are fab too, slightly smaller but very comfortable. Nice little touches like fresh milk in the mini fridges, a Nespresso machine, Nurofen in the mini-bar! Food and drink in the hotel is good but expensive, but presented beautifully. The only one problem for some people could be the noise from the bar which goes on until 11.30 - if it's going to be a problem for you, take earplugs. Great trendy place to stay in Chester, if a little pricey

Room Tip: I think they're all fun and amazingly decorated and equipped
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple