“Best location ”
Review of Portelet Bay Cafe

Portelet Bay Cafe
Ranked #155 of 451 Restaurants in Jersey
Description: Beautiful, rustic beach cafe right on the beach at Portelet Bay. We specialise in wood fried pizzas - the thin and crispy kind! We use the freshest ingredients and have a small and frequently changeable menu. We make delicious fresh salads full of goodness such as local seasonal roasted vegetables, toasted nuts and seeds and various cheeses. We make fresh ground coffee and have a selection of teas. We have an alcohol licence. Occasionally we organise beach education and art activities and we promote access by boat, kayak and paddle board! Dolphins have been spotted from the restaurant windows directly in front of the cafe in the bay - it is a truly beautiful location. There are frequent buses which go to Portelet and then you take a quick walk down to the beach where you will find us. There is no vehicular access as there is no road directly to the beach but this makes it all the more special. At low tide one can walk out to the Island with Janvrins Tomb. The beach is sandy and also great for rock pools at low tide. Please check Facebook links for opening times. We close at earlier times during the darker winter months. Well worth the effort down (and back up!) the steps. See you soon!
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Best views from the cafe, was worth the walk down, and the tougher walk back up!
I arrived too early for lunch (serve at 12 noon) so had a coffee while I waited. I had a mushroom pizza, my only niggle was that there wasn't much topping and it was slightly burnt on the edges, hence my 4 star and not 5 star. I would go back and eat again though, the staff and owner were lovely.

PorteletBayCafe, Owner at Portelet Bay Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2018

Hi Naomi , thank you for your review. That’s such a shame that you didn’t mention you weren’t happy with your pizza at the time as I asked you if you’d enjoyed it and you told me it was delicious . Had we known we would have remade it for you. The wood fired process does give a crispy ‘burnt’ edge as the pizza is turned throughout cooking and catches the heat from the fire. However , if it was over done for your liking we would have remade it for you . I hope you’ll come again . All the best .

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

I took my family down to the cafe for brunch after convincing them it'd be worth the trek up and down the steps for the pancakes alone (after sampling them earlier this summer). We arrived to see a couple eatting eggs, so were reassured we hadn't missed the brunch menu. We were then presented with pizza & lunch menus - after requesting the breakfast/brunch menu we were then told that they no longer "did" brunch any more. When I pointed to the couple eatting eggs they said "oh they're local and called ahead so we made an exception". I would understand the predicament if it was busy and they didn't want to start doing breakfast for the rest of the tables, but we were the only others there at that time, and it's not exactly a stretch to poach a couple of eggs. They then offered us carrot cake as some sort of breakfast subsitute and said we could order food but kitchen wasn't opened till midday. There was no apology - even after we ordered drinks - the service was pretty basic and we just felt like we had inconvenienced them more than anything. Was such a shame as we might not bother to make the effort next time.

1  Thank ChrisAkabusi22

Thank you for taking the time to review , although I’m terribly disappointed to hear about your experience . It is true that we stopped breakfast a while back as the chefs did not have the time or space to prep before lunch service and our kitchen is extremely small and not set up for a busy breakfast shift . Breakfast is something we love to offer as we see it as such a lovely thing to do in the bay , but it is very hit and miss at Portelet due to the location and for the reasons above we decided to stop . The couple that you mention live in the flats above and it had been so quiet that they had asked if the kitchen could cook the something . I was away that weekend , so did not know this had happened , but having spoken to the kitchen staff they have told me they only had 2 Rolls as they had been specially ordered and they didn’t want to get any more in as breakfast was not normally provided . I can fully see how frustrating this must have been and can only apologise for your experience . Apologies again

Reviewed September 8, 2018

Heard good reviews, and wife had been and said pizzas were lovely so went with the kids. Venue, location and atmosphere great, but pizzas after long wait very average. Had the Napoli, three halve bits of anchovy and three olives which I though was a bit tight. Given size of plates, pizzas looked small, and didn’t look evenly cooked but tasted ok.

Thank you for your review . We are very sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your pizza , we always welcome feedback at the time so that we can rectify any problems and we could have remade your pizza to your liking . I hope you’ll try us again and we can provide you with a meal that you are happy with . All the best

Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Imagine, I very nearly didn't go to Portelet Bay or find this cafe.

SO glad I did! The Bay is so beautiful and the cafe just makes it perfect. It's one of those business that pulls off something quite incredible and with apparent great ease ~ a laid back, happy, tasty experience but at the same time professional and well managed. Not a hint of sloppiness anywhere and the staff are all genuine and lovely.
My lunch was delicious and the deckchair I hired very comfortable, an outstanding place ~ I'm just so sad I didn't stumble across it until the last day of my holiday or I would have come here every day.

What a lovely review , thank you for taking the time to write . We are delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and hope you’ll visit us if you return to jersey again soon . All the best

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

What a little find! We were recommended to go here by a local and so glad we did! Not easy to get to as you have to park at the top of the cliff and walk down and across the beach but wow is it worth it!! Stunning beach and coastal views, rustic and quirky and the food was amazing!

Thank you for your lovely review , we hope to see you again !